Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

Sure I'd rather have a girlfriend come along but I'm single. I could stay at home and not go on vacation or I could set off on my own and enjoy myself. I figure it's better to get away.

Yes that's like me. If my hubby had more holidays I wouldn't travel alone. But then again he doesn't like laying on beaches so I do enjoy my yrearly trip to Bali to just laze around under the beach umbrella. Do I sit at home when I'm on holidays (I'm a teacher and get 11 weeks a year) or do I travel alone?

Hubby and I travel together one big trip a year and maybe a smaller one. I travel a bit more (because I can :-))

I sometimes go alone and other times join a tour group. I must admit I'm liking small travel groups more lately.

Cruising alone would be different for me. Don't think hubby would be impressed on missing that if truth be told.

• 1 month later...

When I was a student, I travelled by myself, an dhad absolutely no issues with that. usually, it's the other people around me that have the most issues with it :rolleyes:

Now, I travel with my mother. My dad doesn't like to fly and would rather slice his throat than go on a cruise, so mom and I cruise together. We share a room, go together on excursions, but on the ship, we often do our own thing. I like to swim or go to cooking demos and the shows etc, she doesn't. I don't mind doing it by myself :)

I'm use to traveling solo since I did a lot of business travel before I retired. I'm use to eating solo, going to show, ball games and other events solo.

Some of the advantages I've found going solo is sometimes you get a great seat at events at the last minute because you only need one ticket. I've had a front roll seat for a Ringo concert because they had one open seat left.

I was on a 10 day cruise last Nov. solo and just booked a 94 day one for next Jan.

On cruise tours I've sometimes got the seat next to the driver so you can have a view out the front window. Of course depending on the driver and location, this could be a bad thing.

I get a solo table (table for 2) for dinner as a meal for me is to eat and get out. I'm not one for seating and talking for hours over coffee and wine. I will have conversations with the table near me and this has worked out great for all involved. We can talk if we want and not be forced to have a conversation.

The only awkward time I have is when I’m eating at the buffet. I’m never sure if they will clean off my place when I go up to get more food. I’ve have had that done and someone else is already sitting at “my” spot. I try to find a server and let them know I’ll be right back. This has worked out most times.

Don

<snip>

The only awkward time I have is when I’m eating at the buffet. I’m never sure if they will clean off my place when I go up to get more food. I’ve have had that done and someone else is already sitting at “my” spot. I try to find a server and let them know I’ll be right back. This has worked out most times.

Don

Funny you should mention that, but I've had something similar happen on my last cruise. I ate at one of the lido tables that was roughly 15 feet away from the nearest buffet line as I figured I would return for seconds. Sure enough, I did just that. I didn't see a server, but I left my shades on my tray to hopefully remind any passing server that I will return and not to disturb my tray. After a couple of minutes standing in line, a young couple arrived at my table and placed their trays down. Okay, I wouldn't have minded sharing the table until the male partner called a server to remove my tray, which at that point had been undisturbed even after a few servers have passed it. Soon after I briefly excused myself from the buffet line, I approached the server and told him he needed to put my tray back on the table, now. The couple probably did the smartest thing they ever did in their entire cruise; they decided to beat feet and increase distance between themselves and an angry 6 ft, 250 lb man. :D

PS,

I was able to return to my original place in my buffet line and get my seconds. All's well that ends well. :)

The only thing that concerns me at all on my upcoming solo cruise is eating. I've cruised with my daughter several times and that's the same as cruising alone because she does her own thing at the teen clubs and we just meet for dinner. I don't like the 'snatch and grab' buffets because some people are so selfish with the table space, so will eat in the main restaurants or on deck. The only thing bothering me is that first night on the table for 8 but I'm sure it will be OK on the night as they say.

First morning of my first solo cruise, I get my breakfast from buffet and find a table, I realize once I sit down that I forgot to get a cup of coffee, so I go get one. When I arrive back at the table to wait staff have bused my table. Had to start all over again. :rolleyes:

First morning of my first solo cruise, I get my breakfast from buffet and find a table, I realize once I sit down that I forgot to get a cup of coffee, so I go get one. When I arrive back at the table to wait staff have bused my table. Had to start all over again. :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to make out a card which says "I'm not finished" to leave on my table. Maybe "I'm coming back" would be politer?

I think I'm going to make out a card which says "I'm not finished" to leave on my table. Maybe "I'm coming back" would be politer?

If you ever go to Vegas many buffetys have those type of cards at the table for people to use...I made one and it worked (at least with the staff)...but, you know, there are always those that could care a less about anyone but themselves and will move your stuff to a another table...

I'll try to upload a pic...simply says "please do not clear I'm gettin' more food!"

but, you know, there are always those that could care a less about anyone but themselves and will move your stuff to a another table...

Well it's always lovely to meet new people, and won't they be pleasantly surprised when I come back and join them for their meal? Even more surprised when there aren't enough chairs and I insist on sharing a chair with one of them :p

You could also bring a sweater or a vest and leave that hanging (obviously) over the chair back. Works for me :)

I'd make sure it's an old one I don't mind losing...there are those who pretend to be oblivious to someone else's belongings...or would just toss it on the floor & take your seat...seen it happen myself...:eek:

I like this idea, may try it next time. May make it out of paper and take several copies.

Has anyone tried leaning the chair against the table to "reserve" the space?

Don

I have been on around 20 cruises solo, had a few awkward moments, but not enought to make me stop cruising!

Buffet - usually take my food outside to a lounge chair, do not like the atmostphere in the buffet, unless they have outside seating! Usually have a bag with sunscreen, book etc, and leave it on my chair, never lost it yet.

Room stewarts have been kind enough to put sunsceen on my back - now I too use spay before I leave room. And re apply if needed

If I do not like assigned table mates on day 1 - make sure to request a different table for day 2 on.

Had one dinner no one but me first night, next table asked me to join them and squeezed in a extra chair - next next night it was 2doctors/one intern, and a nurse - doctors at sea - we had a ball - they had tickets for special dinners/parties, and just took me along!

People do not notice you are alone, always people walking around alone - couples do not alway do the same thing together all day!

I travel alone by choice, never want to have a 2nd in the room that I do not know, or a friend that wants to tag along, and restrict me from what I want to do.

One out trip - getting into a small boat - I sat alone, and man from dock yelled where is your husband -I yelled back he died, but if you can find him, I would love to have him join me! Tour guide new I was alone, and he sat beside me.

most important - pack your humor!! Never take stupid comments as personal, people are just people!

I technically cruise alone last month, but was with a group. Everyone pretty much did their own thing except for a few group activities. I found one of the first things I do is to make friends with a bartender. Make sure they know you are alone and they will sometimes introduce you to other solo travelers.

Also definitely do some of the onboard activities and any of the solo get togethers they have. I made a funny remark at the Beer Tasting and later at the solo travelers thing a woman remembered my comment and we wound up hanging out quite a bit the whole cruise.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I think the other thing I dislike is the "oh, you are by yourself, you are so brave" from the people who ask who you are traveling in a patronizing way. Some people truly mean it and I don't mind but there are others who just know are saying it in a "poor soul" kind of way :)

Years ago I was on a cruise by myself and met a wonderful couple at the midnight buffet. The husband was seriously impressed that I was vacationing alone, and his wife said she admired my sense of adventure. They were wonderful to talk with and we ended up bumping into each other throughout the rest of the cruise. But, the neatest thing was - 3 years later, in an elevator in the Miami airport, I ran into them again, only I did not recognize them, but the husband did! Asked me if I was going on another cruise and when I said no, they were disappointed that I wasn't joining their ship.

Being single, my thinking is - if I wait for someone to go with me on vacations, I might never get to go. And, I am the type to worry if my traveling partner is having a good time, etc, so I am being a bit selfish when I travel alone, but I find it very relaxing. Who cares what others are thinking - I'm not there to worry about that! Fortunately for me my solo cruises have all been positive.

I do agree the first night in the MDR can be a bit intense. One year I was adopted by a family of 9 (the grandparents LOVED me) and one year I was sat at a table of 8 Spanish speaking travelers. Hmmm...

My question is - with the flex dining, are you seated with a group, or can you request a table for two?

I love to cruise and have never had any issues with feeling uncomfortable being solo.... except one. I had signed up for a wine pairing dinner on a Panama Canal cruise. I was the 1st one to arrive and was seated right away. Soon after 2 couple who knew each other arrived and were very upset they were having to sit with anyone else (it was a table for 10) One of the men loudly said "we don't want to sit with her" The maitre d' tried to explain to them that it was a group dinner. They weren't happy and sat at the opposite end of the table. So there I was at one end by myself with all these empty seats between us. :eek: I wanted to leave but luckily another very nice couple showed up and sat near me and we had a lovely time.

Other than that I always find most people are friendly.

Dee

I am very I mean VERY much used to being alone,but i shared

my cruise with a good GF. I ended up thinking back,doing

a majority of things alone. except main dining,and karaoke

dancing 2x I did most everything from breakfast,to day events

and caught 2 shows without her,also.I had more fun with

light convo with couples,and made great dancing buddies with

20'somethings,and adopted a gay male couple for two days.

even when I went to the on deck parties,we were yapping

with bunches of people.

she flew solo also,she found BF and ran off with a party

college crowd,which was so funny...I saw many "cabin parties"

I will say the advice I got from another solo guy is YOU really

have to be a total antisocial to have a bad time..everyone

talks to everyone but if your sorta debbie downer..don't do a cruise

solo.:D

I have been on around 20 cruises solo, had a few awkward moments, but not enought to make me stop cruising!

Buffet - usually take my food outside to a lounge chair, do not like the atmostphere in the buffet, unless they have outside seating! Usually have a bag with sunscreen, book etc, and leave it on my chair, never lost it yet.

Room stewarts have been kind enough to put sunsceen on my back - now I too use spay before I leave room. And re apply if needed

If I do not like assigned table mates on day 1 - make sure to request a different table for day 2 on.

Had one dinner no one but me first night, next table asked me to join them and squeezed in a extra chair - next next night it was 2doctors/one intern, and a nurse - doctors at sea - we had a ball - they had tickets for special dinners/parties, and just took me along!

People do not notice you are alone, always people walking around alone - couples do not alway do the same thing together all day!

I travel alone by choice, never want to have a 2nd in the room that I do not know, or a friend that wants to tag along, and restrict me from what I want to do.

One out trip - getting into a small boat - I sat alone, and man from dock yelled where is your husband -I yelled back he died, but if you can find him, I would love to have him join me! Tour guide new I was alone, and he sat beside me.

most important - pack your humor!! Never take stupid comments as personal, people are just people!

nanwel,

I love your come back to the man on the dock! Priceless!!!!

Way to go!!!

Pam

Just booked my fourth cruise, third gong solo. So far my solo experience solo is 50/50 between worst vacation ever on Princess and really great time on Celebrity. Booked on Azamara Journey this October.

I have traveled alone in and out of the USA quite a bit for work and have been alone for one reason of another for quite a while. Dining alone or with people, either is fine with me. On the first night of the Princess cruise, at desk in dinign room asked if I'd like to share a table, figured why not. Seated at an 8 top with three couples traveling together. Everyone smiles and says hello when I sit down. After about 5-10 mins of loud whispering one of the ladies asks me where is my husband? I stated no husband. Furious whispering amongst the women for a few mins followed by one frantically waving over the Maitre D. One of the women stands up and loudly states "we are not comfortable with THAT at the table!". The Maitre D who was a major jack'**s the whole trip just kind of rolled his eyes and said "well I have to sit IT somewhere". I seriously wanted to crawl under the carpet and go back to my room. Instead I just sucked it up with out telling them all to collectively go ***K themselves or something equally harsh.

Now on the flip side, on my Celebrity cruise the wait staff could not have been nicer and more friendly. And no, I did not share a table at any point! Hoping for another great experience on my next cruise in a couple months!

Wow, I would have gone to the head of the dinning staff and made a complaint about that rude MD - and demand an different table for the next night.

I have had a great experience on Princess, he was not represntative of the line.

on Hal, a a table with doctors at sea, visiting docs that come on board to do medicine for diabetics travelling on their ship.

night one, nobody at table, table beside me asked me to join them.

day 2, 2 docs and a nurse joined the table, and another couple. The docs had free specialty dinner, included me, and we had a great time.

You will love azamara cruses, my fav line, used it twice so far, and thinking of booking a S America on it 2014. They spoil you, go on the cc meet and greet and arrange some trips with others pre trip. Usually other singles on board, but I found everyone very friendly, staff too.

Ask to sit at a large table for the first night or two, then you will make friends with some people very easily. Breakfast and lunch are buffet, and everyone goes up to a table (most seat 4) and ask if a seat is taken and mix in - love to sit outside on the aft patio for those meals!

Just booked my fourth cruise, third gong solo. So far my solo experience solo is 50/50 between worst vacation ever on Princess and really great time on Celebrity. Booked on Azamara Journey this October.

I have traveled alone in and out of the USA quite a bit for work and have been alone for one reason of another for quite a while. Dining alone or with people, either is fine with me. On the first night of the Princess cruise, at desk in dinign room asked if I'd like to share a table, figured why not. Seated at an 8 top with three couples traveling together. Everyone smiles and says hello when I sit down. After about 5-10 mins of loud whispering one of the ladies asks me where is my husband? I stated no husband. Furious whispering amongst the women for a few mins followed by one frantically waving over the Maitre D. One of the women stands up and loudly states "we are not comfortable with THAT at the table!". The Maitre D who was a major jack'**s the whole trip just kind of rolled his eyes and said "well I have to sit IT somewhere". I seriously wanted to crawl under the carpet and go back to my room. Instead I just sucked it up with out telling them all to collectively go ***K themselves or something equally harsh.

Surely not. That is disgusting. I'd be straight off to Guest services reporting the maitre d and insisting on an apology. That is just horrible.

Edited by Pushka

That is truly appalling. I'm proud of you for keeping your cool. A decent Maitre d should never have sat you at a table with 3 couples traveling together in the first place. I hope you didn't leave him a tip!

How did you not go ballistic on them? I don't think I'd have stayed polite to any of them.

I always ask to be seated at a large table of people I share a language with. The maître d' on my last cruise may have been a bit sick of me. First night I was sitting alone at an 8 seater, when 9 people turned up, all members of a single family, all speaking Maltese. I had some French in common with two of the younger members of the family, and they were quite happy for me to stay, but I felt that a) we wouldn't all fit, and b) it was going to be a big strain trying to keep up with the rapid conversation all week. There was no unpleasantness about it though. That night I was moved to a table of nominally English speakers - except I was the only woman speaking at the table. The other women didn't speak in front of strange men. Having to direct all my questions through the husbands was tedious, and while they were polite, I felt they were a little disapproving of everything about me :)

The second night I moved again to a 6 seater of Americans who came and went during the week, but in general we got along.

How did you not go ballistic on them? I don't think I'd have stayed polite to any of them.

I always ask to be seated at a large table of people I share a language with. The maître d' on my last cruise may have been a bit sick of me. First night I was sitting alone at an 8 seater, when 9 people turned up, all members of a single family, all speaking Maltese. I had some French in common with two of the younger members of the family, and they were quite happy for me to stay, but I felt that a) we wouldn't all fit, and b) it was going to be a big strain trying to keep up with the rapid conversation all week. There was no unpleasantness about it though. That night I was moved to a table of nominally English speakers - except I was the only woman speaking at the table. The other women didn't speak in front of strange men. Having to direct all my questions through the husbands was tedious, and while they were polite, I felt they were a little disapproving of everything about me :)

The second night I moved again to a 6 seater of Americans who came and went during the week, but in general we got along.

It was not easy to not rip them all a collective new one! I have found that when people are truly that ignorant just sitting and smiling makes them even madder which in a weird way is sort of fun to watch. The Maitre D on that cruise was a compete jacksa** the whole week. Managers were never available and it was the worst vacation ever. It's been a couple years and I can laugh about now but it stung at the time. Suffice to say another Princess cruise will never be in my future! Very much looking to try Azamara and thanks to all who commented!

I love cruising solo, and have done it for 6 of my 9 cruises. That being said, there are moments that are particularly awkward. I'm curious if other folks have similar experiences.

I prefer to be seated at a large table for dinner. I feel a bit like a third wheel sitting at a table for 4 when there's just me and a couple. That can be VERY awkward.

What is really awkward is when you're eating alone, and someone (out of the kindness of their hearts) invites you to join them and you politely decline. Sometimes they don't take no for an answer. I was having a burger at Johnny Rocket's on Freedom of the Seas and on the last chapter of a pretty good book when a family sitting next to me invited me to join them. I was pretty much finished with my meal and just finishing the last few pages of my book, so I said "No, but thank you." and then the Dad and I got into an extraordinarily polite battle of wills. He kept insisting and I kept declining and so forth.

Some folks just can't imagine why someone might want to be alone, even for just an instant, rather than join a family they don't know composed of two tired adults and three sugar filled kids.

As to the shows, I attend a lot of theatre in real life solo, (live and film) so I have over the years grown less self-conscious about this. So much so that I often go see something solo even if I know someone has expressed interest in seeing it with me. But sometimes on the cruise, people really want you to join there group, which is usually fine. But occasionally it's a collection of loud drunks who are interrupting the show and you really don't want to be grouped in with them.

I always feel awkward at the pool or hot tub though. Especially if I forget my sunglasses I feel like kind of a creeper just sitting by the pool alone. I become paranoid that people think I'm there to stare at girls in bikini's. Also similar experiences in the hot tub.

And some excursions are a bit rough to do solo, as they are often built with the idea of having someone help you with things and you get kind of "spotlighted" for being alone.

Do folks have similar experiences?

You sound like a true introvert, like me. And I mean that as a compliment. Extroverts could never understand why we actually enjoy our time alone. As I once read somewhere, an extrovert gets his energy from being around others. For an introvert, being around others robs him of his energy, and he must have time alone to recharge. I will be cruising my first solo cruise 3/2014, and I plan to recharge my batteries!