Accessible tours for St. Johns and Halifax

cindyseattle

I am taking my 80 year old mother on a her first cruise on October 4th on Brilliance. There is one tour (hop on hop off) that works for us. I really want to be able for her to see the sights in Canada but have no clue where to look. I have looked for private tours in both cities. The few i have found said she has to be able to walk on and off the tour bus. She is a single amputee and can stand but can't ascend or descend stairs. If anyone has any suggestions for private tour companies in these cities, I would really really appreciate it. I'm just getting a bit anxious as I thought there would be more accessible tours thru RCCL and there aren't!

Thanks!

Cindy:)

There's a tour company called "Tours By Locals.com" and we have contracted a man named Andy S, tour guide number 1871. Give them a look. He does great tours. Just Google toursbylocals.com If you just take the time to google private tours, and include the city, a ton of possibilities pop up.

Cruise lines don't do many, if any, tours for the disabled, so it's not just Royal Caribbean. My husband is scooter/wheelchair bound and we always do private car tours.

Edited by cruisead

I am taking my 80 year old mother on a her first cruise on October 4th on Brilliance. There is one tour (hop on hop off) that works for us. I really want to be able for her to see the sights in Canada but have no clue where to look. I have looked for private tours in both cities. The few i have found said she has to be able to walk on and off the tour bus. She is a single amputee and can stand but can't ascend or descend stairs. If anyone has any suggestions for private tour companies in these cities, I would really really appreciate it. I'm just getting a bit anxious as I thought there would be more accessible tours thru RCCL and there aren't!

Thanks!

Cindy:)

I am sailing on RCCL Liberty of The Seas, on Aug 27, through New England and then Halifax and St. John. I use a mobility scooter. RCCL's Special Needs Dept found me specific excursions that I can go on. Although you can only deal with them by email, they were extremely helpful. There is a phone number you can initially call, but the specifics are by email. Here is a link to the web page that includes the phone number and email address. Also a link to the Special Needs Form you should complete. Good Luck!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do

I can't comment on St John's because our itinerary was changed and we ended up in Corner Brook, which is a tip.

However, Halifax has lots going on along the very long water front and if the weather is good it's worth spending several hours just soaking it up. Sailing ships, shops, designer glass, eateries, family activities at the weekend ............. it's all there.

Even though I could climb the stairs of the bus for a ship's tour, none of those on offer were very appealing so assuming everyone uses the same providers, going private might be your best bet anyway.