Were cabs plentiful at Cape Liberty?

We will need to take a cab to the Newark Airport Train Station, were there plenty around? I thought about hiring a limo to pick us up, but since the time we get off is so up n the air, guess we have to take a cab.

Also, when you arrive at Cape Liberty by cab, do yo have the cab stop and drop off the bags, or do you get off with them? I have cruised many times before, but never from Cape Liberty, thus all my questions. Thanks.

Annieeee

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

NOT AT ALL! This was the worst experience of the cruise for us. We got off of the 5 night Canada trip last Friday. We needed a cab to Newark airport. Disembarkation was timely. We were in one of the earlier groups and got off about 10:00 am. When we came out to the curb with our luggage, expecting to find a line of cabs, all we saw was an unorganized mob of people trying to get transportation. There were no cabs! There was one guy from a cab company calling for cabs on his phone and everyone was attacking him. When a single cab or van pulled up, people would run and fight for it. The cab man said that the first 2 times the ship came in, they had cabs waiting around for hours before people got off, so they stopped coming. We waited almost an hour before we finally got a cab and that was only after enough complaining to the dispatcher. I saw some people call their own cabs and they arrived before the people waiting. This was a huge problem and I would hope they will get their act together on this. I have never had such a bad experience getting off a ship. I would recommend getting some local cab company phone numbers (maybe from your ride to the port) and be prepared to call your own cab if they are not waiting when you get off. Good luck!

I'm sorry to say that I see no way they will be able to fix this. At the NYC terminal, you have multiple ships arriving at once and a cabby is sure to get passengers as soon as he pulls into the cabby lane. There's no lane to pull into at Bayonne. They will have to rebuild the entire area and still with only one ship and God knows when the passengers will get off, who's gonna wait around for hours for a $20 fare to the airport? We're sailing from Bayonne again in September, and we'll drive and park again. I told an RCI employee that picking this port was not a good idea and I firmly believe that it's not going to succeed. Too bad. RCI should provide or contract with a bus company to transport passengers to all three airports and NYC, at a charge of course. Could be a good opportunity for a bus company. Anybody work for one or better yet, own one? Even a school bus company could make out very well although half the seat would have to be devoted to luggage, but especially on weekends, when those busses are sitting in lots idle, it's business. Better idea than what they have now.

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

Doing QM2 on 3/2/05

It probably is $35 although if it was a metered cab like in NYC, no way it would amount to $35. It's about 10 - 15 minutes away and maybe less than 10 miles to Newark airport.

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

Doing QM2 on 3/2/05

In a word, yes. The parking lot has only one way in and you pass it when you want to drop off your luggage. Then you have to circle around, three lanes into one to go around to three lanes again, staying to the right to enter the parking lot. Leaving the parking lot, three lanes with eveyone stopping to load luggage, into three lanes coming from both directions of those looking to unload luggage and get into the parking lot is an ordeal. Still, it's better than camping out waiting for a different way of getting out of there. I would say one way is for you to get a ride to the port, and calling your ride when you debark and by the time your ride arrives, it should be clear sailing. That takes waiting around though and after waiting 7 hours to get off a ship, the last thing we need is 2 more waiting for a ride. I'd vote for the half hour or so to get out with our own car.

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

Doing QM2 on 3/2/05

One caution: Newark Airport Train Station cannot be reached directly by cab or limo. The only access is via the Newark Airport monorail. Newark Penn Station would probably be a better choice.

There is no way Royal Caribbean will scrap the idea of sailing out of Bayonne. It is always about money and the bottom line is they are saving lots of it sailing from Bayonne rather than NYC. It's also very convenient to most people in the area (including me) rather than going into the city. They originally said they were going to rebuild the entire port but for now we just have to deal with the growing pains. I actually heard they were very pleased with the Bayonne port and plan to expand to year round sailing's shortly. icon_cool.gif

As I understand it, RCL moved to Bayonne because of dissatisfaction with the West Side Passenger Ship Terminal in Manhattan. There is little AC, and not enough waiting area for the larger ships. In addition, those piers would require a special permit from the Coast Guard in order to permit the VOS to jut out as far into the Hudson River.

RCL intitially offered to construct an entirely new facility in Brooklyn, if only NYC would have invested the money in the underwater facilities necessary. RCL would have built everyting else. NYC, being shortsighted as usual when it comes to funding major public works turned them down. Of course, after losing the RCL ships, NYC agreed with Carnival and Norwegian on a plan to upgrade the Passenger Ship Terminal, somethingwhich had not been done since the 1970s.

We're going on the 6/18 VOS sailing and plan to drive from the Bronx to Bayonne and then park. We'll probably just walk back to the parking lot after disembarking with our suitcases and load up there and head home on the 27th. I hear its not that far a walk fro mthe terminal to the lot.

New York City made a deal with Carnival to build a pier in brooklyn. This has been in the works for 2 years. RCCL was never part of this deal. If you drive past the old Navy yard in Brooklyn you will see the sign saying future home of Carnival, Seaborn, Costa, Princess and some other ships. They are all owned by Carnival Corp.

Norwegian's deal was to upgrade NYC pier. Nyc piers were not big enough for the Mega ships of today.

NYC was also not ready for all the ships that now want to sail year round.

I think its great RCCL is now sailing out of NJ. I love being able to cruise and not have to worry about Air.

From what I have read on these boards it seems Bayonne is convienent for everyone in the tri-state area. I have even seen people from Long Island saying Bayonne was easier to get to than going into Manhatten. I for one would not go to Brooklyn.

Thanks JimN, had no idea that cabs and limos had no access to the Newark train station. So tell me then how do people that get off at that station get to their destination if no cabs are available?

We decided to drive, thanks for all the info. Now to get good driving directions. We will be headed north on 95.

Annieeee

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I would go into Brooklyn in a heartbeat. Better transportation than Bayonne. Better Hotels than Bayonne. Better sights when leaving port than Bayonne.

I can't understand or have I read that Bayonne is easier than Manhatten for people from Long Island. LIE, Queens midtown Tun and your right there. Going to Bayonne they pass right by NYC. Bayonne might be light on traffic now, but as more ships come into port bayonne with their 1 way in and 1 way out won't be much better than NYC.

Will be leaving from Bayonne in Sept. From what I have read, people are not so happy with the port. Some think it's not going to make it there. Hopefuly NYC will learn something from New Jerseys mistakes.

But whatever port my ship sails from, I'll be there.

nicpesq - we walked back to our car and it was parked all the way at the end but way easier than waiting for the shuttle that was stuck in traffic. I would try to park as soon as you pass the booth (where you pay).

Annieeee--There are TWO train stations in Newark that serve Amtrak and NJTransit. Newark Penn Station is the main station. It is in the center of Newark and has plenty of taxis, buses, etc. The Newark Airport Station is a new station opened a couple of years ago. To reach it, you must first go to one of the airline terminals and ride the monorail to the station. Its used mostly by folks connecting from trains to planes.

Archived