Carnival Legend Review & Pictures!

leesy007

This is my first review on Cruise Critic. It is also a review of my first cruise, so bear with me! Also, it is important for me to mention that this review is a *little* late. We cruised Carnival Legend on May 5th 2011. So why the late review? Well, the Monday after I got back I started a brand new job! Yay!

But now that I am in the swing of things again, I owe it to all the wonderful people who helped me on these boards follow through with a review.

Me and the DH sailed from Tampa on May 5th on the Carnival Legend. We had been counting down to this cruise for almost a year! It was a graduation present for me. I graduated from USF Thrusday afternnon and by Sunday morning we were checking and re-checking out tickets and passports for Embarktion!

I am a little crazy about planning. Before the cruise I bough a 1-inch binder, separators and maps. I spent hours gathering and organizing all the information about each port into this binder along with little tidbits I had picked up on these blogs. I also had the Carnival App for iphones and loved counting down with the timer and “exploring” the ship deck plans in anticipation.

Okay, enough about planning, onto the CRUISE!

We left our apartment about 10:30. We are some of the few lucky residence of Tampa, Florida who only have a 25 minute drive to the port. My mother and little sister were happy to drop us off (we had other family pick us back up).

Oh my gosh, it was so funny! My little sister kept making references to the Titanic the whole way there. Little sisters… I tell ya!

Okay, so they dropped us off at the port. A porter came up right away and basically took our luggage away from us! We were a little worried because, like I said before, we haven’t done this before. We were not 100% sure where the heck he was going to take it, or if he would know we were on the cruise or what (there weren’t any other ships in port or anything I’m just a worrier!) . But everything worked out fine!

We went through what seemed like miles of security, but it wasn’t bad at all. After the security we went into the “holding area” right before the walk to the boat. We were there from maybe 30 minutes before they called out number ( we were #7). We went through one last check with our passports and tickets and paused for a quick photo:

5991899664_9979a7a87a.jpg.

I know, we look SUPER CHEESY. But that is how we are so if you want to read this review, get used to it ☺ . You’d think we were like from Ontario the way we look so touristy!

Then it was onto the ship! It was pretty crowded, though it was only 12:00ish. We waited for like 15 minutes for an elevator up to the Lido deck for some food, before we just gave up and walked!

After a little lunch (my husband was in paradise, he loooooves food), I could not wait to start exploring the ship!

5989145062_9b7010d00f.jpg

5988588447_eeba0134d4.jpg

5989148902_c8ba587b6c.jpg

5988587265_83ae968cf8.jpg

The ship was pretty packed. I was a little worried that we wouldn’t be able to relax with as many people as were on board, but we are pretty goof as making the best of any situation.

More ship exploring!

5988641985_761d782b03.jpg

5988641533_35ec8f6fdf.jpg

5988640421_67409fc439.jpg

5989200678_5f3458b77c.jpg

5989199548_2c5fd490f0.jpg

5989198984_397eaa4d1e.jpg

We must have walked that ship up, down, and all around about 5 times! I could not see enough! My wonderful husband was obliging, but I could tell he was getting tired since we was the one carrying most on the onboard luggage!

Yay! Another Legend review with great pics! Thanks! I'm ready to start counting hours.... and it's not like this is my first cruise, or even my first cruse on the Legend... I'm like a little kid, the night before we leave home I'll be saying, "I'm toooo excited to sleep." Dh thinks (knows) I'm a nut.

Thanks for helping me pass the time.... :D

Yay! Another Legend review with great pics! Thanks! I'm ready to start counting hours.... and it's not like this is my first cruise, or even my first cruse on the Legend... I'm like a little kid, the night before we leave home I'll be saying, "I'm toooo excited to sleep." Dh thinks (knows) I'm a nut.

Thanks for helping me pass the time.... :D

You're welcome! I have been meaning to post this for months, but just haven't had the time! My DH also knows I am crazy! I think it really hit him though when he saw the binder of cruise information including a bus schedule in Grand Cayman!

Our room: Ocean View Riviera 1220

As soon as 1:30 hit we were ready to put our bags away! We really brought to many things as carry-ons. Next time I want to bring a pool bag with us to change into our suits before the room is ready.

Being young and poor we booked the first deck, but it wasn’t really that bad at all. The only thing that was a little crappy was having to wait for the elevator whenever we wanted to go anywhere. But our room was mid-ship and there were about four elevators in one section and another three a few feet down from our room.

Before the mess:

5989146882_67542a2bb8.jpg

A few days into the cruise, significantly messier!

5989147284_bcff564ee5.jpg.

Cheese’in!

5989147732_8ec4285914.jpg.

Our luggage didn’t arrive until 4ish. I was actually getting a little worried (surprise, right?!), especially since I wasn’t quite sure about what was going on when the porter took it all in the first place. But it did eventually get there. We settled in and around 6ish we went up to the Sun Deck, Deck 10 to watch the ship go under the Skyway Bridge!

What a sight!

5988588843_a55218a563.jpg

I hope you’re not getting tired of pictures of us! There will be others when I post about the ports! I **promise** ☺

5988589303_c8b382397f.jpg.

Am LOVING your review. Even though our THIRD trip on Legend is coming up later this year........it feels so special to us each time.

Great ship, great crew, great port. Please keep those pics coming, young lady !

Thanks for the review i love it so far. I have a group cruise going out next year on the Legend so keep the review and pictures coming!

Thanks! We had such a good time. I really fell in love with that ship! I know you and your group will have a wonderful time!

Am LOVING your review. Even though our THIRD trip on Legend is coming up later this year........it feels so special to us each time.

Great ship, great crew, great port. Please keep those pics coming, young lady !

Awe! Thanks! It is super fun to remember it all :) . My goal is to just get as much done in one or two sittings, that way I will be sure to finish it. I am glad we are not the only ones who have through about returning to the Legend. It was our first, and only cruise so far, so we want to mix it up. But we talked a lot about how we would easily go again, even if it is the same ports. It is just a good cruise value for us, living so close and all.

After un-packing we were back to exploring and then dinner.

We decided to do the late dinner, 8:15pm, and I am really glad we did. It was nice not to have to rush back from the port the ship to be ready for dinner. Down side: we were usually out too late to catch many of the shows ☹ .

It wasn’t Elegant night but I like to dress up so I did! The sunset was absolutely gorgeous. And that’s saying something because I live in Florida where beautiful sunsets are a regularity!

5992157300_e1ef6a6613.jpg

5992141500_d84315b88a.jpg

5988589957_2540eb042f.jpg

We weren’t in the MDR, well, not technically. We were in the “annexed” section. At first I was kind of upset about this, but it actually worked out for the better. It was quiter and more secluded in the annexed section and just as nice as the big MDR. Our table was next to a HUGE porthole window! How fun!

On our first night in the MDR we only had one other couple eating with us. Carnival did a good job of seating us with people our age. The other couple had just graduated too and had recently gotten engaged!

I made a big mistake! I did not take any pictures of the food! Can you believe it?! Like I said, it is my first review and my first cruise, I will know better for next time!

The pirate that went around that night was a little creepy. I don’t think I hid my thoughts too well in the photo!

5991582921_6c9113614a.jpg

FUN DAY AT SEA tomorrow!

We weren’t in the MDR, well, not technically. We were in the “annexed” section. At first I was kind of upset about this, but it actually worked out for the better. It was quiter and more secluded in the annexed section and just as nice as the big MDR. Our table was next to a HUGE porthole window! How fun!

What is the annexed section? Is it on the deck plans? We have never sailed on a Spirit class ship so I'm curious.

The pirate that went around that night was a little creepy. I don’t think I hid my thoughts too well in the photo!

I think that pirate guy is creepy to. There's one on every ship. :mad:

5991582921_6c9113614a.jpg

FUN DAY AT SEA tomorrow!

Can't wait for more!

Can't wait for more!

Thanks! The annexed section was called "The Private Club" it was just a little room I think they open up, right off the main dining room, when the ship is maxed out. We still entered in through the MDR. We just took a left and then entered into another littler room. It was actually cozy :)

Where did you go? Me and my family are leaving tomorrow, to the Western Carribbean. Was it very rainy? The reason I viewed your topic was because I am going on the same boat as you!!

We went to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. It wasn't rainy at all. A little overcast early in Belize but it cleared up. I hope you have fun! The Legend is a great ship :)

we leave next sunday. I dont have a cruise binder, oh no! now im worried. lol :) What bus info did you have?

oh you will be fine :) I just go overboard (no pun intended hehe). It is the public bus schedule for Grand Cayman. We picked up the bus by the library, a few blocks into town, and took it to Govenors beach. I am getting ahead of my review but here is the website : http://www.caymanislands.ky/family/transportation.aspx

:D

Monday, FUN DAY AT SEA!

We woke up early and ready to get out in the sun! Let me just say that as a first timer, it was so unbelievable to walk outside onto the deck and sea no land!! Just water! It was amazing!

Our view for breakfast:

5992184780_8dfd22e83a.jpg.

My goal was to get a hammock thingy on the Serenity Deck. But that first day, and honestly every single day, it was PACKED! There was no room to be found in the Adults Only Area. After a little huffing on my part, and a lot of “it’s going to be okay, we are on a cruise, honey” on my husbands part, I got over it ☺ . Mostly. We finally settled on Deck 10, really close to the clear panes, about 20 feet from the stairs that led down to the Serenity Deck. We found a little curved semi circle section that was perfect for our huge pool bag (why do I always over pack?!) .

5991628285_ab56c8dd80.jpg

Up to the deck we brought:

SPF 70 (I don’t like the sun!)

Face Suncreen

Sun Hat

Water bottles

Our towels

And books!

I brought Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None”

He brought some theology book. My wonderful husband doesn’t believe in fiction! Hehe! I think it was something by Brian Mclaren.

5992185520_49f9a38ecc.jpg.

It got really hot after a while, so we tried to find a place around one of the three pools to put our stuff down. But, like I said it was so busy. After walking around aimlessly for about 10 minutes I remembered a secret I learned from Cruise Critic!

The Jacuzzi in the Spa/Gym area is open for any guest, even without a booked spa treatment!

Say hello to where we spent at least 1 hour everyday!! (and I think 2 hours that first day ☺ ) :

5989206088_8a10bc4f3e.jpg

Note how no one is there! Yay! (We are so anti-social for our age!!)

It took a few times to figure out how to get in but we got it down after a while. You can go in through the Spa but then the attendants look at you wondering why you haven’t booked an overprice pedicure or something, so we always went in through the Gymnasium entrance by Club O2 on Deck 10.

After a few hours relaxing and talking about how excited we were on our first cruise we were a little pooped. It is amazing how doing nothing will tire you out! We went back to the room for some R&R.

Then guess what we did? That’s right! Explored!

5991629111_f3067e0fd9.jpg

I think he was getting a little tired of posing for pictures!

Great review!! We are boarding Oct. 9th and can't seem to get enough of the reviews of the Legend! I have been on several ships of different sizes and shapes. I really believe the Spirit Class is going to be the ticket for me!!

Keep it up, I can't wait to read more!

Archived