Tours out of Southampton

cajun_corgi

We are boarding QM2 in Hamburg this summer, and will spend one day in Southampton where she takes on more passengers. My question is whether there are tours of the area there, or does anyone have suggestions as to what we may want to see while in Southampton.

Cunard will offer tours, but if you want to do your own thing, how about Winchester which is about 10 minutes away by train. Alternatively, Portsmouth or Salisbury can be reach easily by train.

A ferry trip across to Hythe or even the Isle of Wight is also an option if you have not had enough of being on a boat.

I agree with the previous poster, Lanky Lad :) .

Take the ferry to Hythe and you hardly lose sight of the QM2 (and can get some great photos of her as you pass by, twice :) ).

Trains to Winchester are every 15 minutes approx and it is less than 20 minutes away. I've taken a few visitors to Winchester while they were on a day visit to the UK, they seemed to enjoy the cathedral and city.

Hope this helps, ask if you've more questions.

Edited by pepperrn

I agree with the previous poster, Lanky Lad :) .

Take the ferry to Hythe and you hardly lose sight of the QM2 (and can get some great photos of her as you pass by, twice :) ).

Trains to Winchester are every 15 minutes approx and it is less than 20 minutes away. I've taken a few visitors to Winchester while they were on a day visit to the UK, they seemed to enjoy the cathedral and city.

Hope this helps, ask if you've more questions.

Providing the weather is good, the trip to Hythe is very enjoyable. And the train ride to Winchester is quick and it is a wonderful city to wander around.

I second Salisbury. Train from Southampton, visit the cathedral and grounds and you could visit Stonehenge too by bus.

There's a bus to Salisbury directly, the bus stop is in front of the West Quay mall. We enjoyed the bus with the beautiful country views very much.

You can take a taxi to Stonehenge. The taxi driver is willing to wait for you for the return trip. I think we paid 35 GBP for both ways.

If you are already booked and would like to take a tour, go to your "voyage personalizer" and type in your name, birthdate and booking number. The shore excursions are on the first page of that. We are also doing a QM2 voyage that stops in Soton and noticed 4 or 5 tours that they offer. All the other suggestions for doing things on your own are excellent too.

There are a great deal of things in Southampton to do and see, the Medieval walls, Tudor house museum,Seacity and more. This website will give you ideas:

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/

Southampton is not just about shopping! I am biased, it's my home port. :)

Tilly27

Thank you Tilly27,

Since we have taken tours to Salisbury and Stonehenge on previous trips to the UK, we too are interested in exploring Southampton during our day in port. Any more tips you woud care to share?

Bob

We are boarding QM2 in Hamburg this summer, and will spend one day in Southampton where she takes on more passengers. My question is whether there are tours of the area there, or does anyone have suggestions as to what we may want to see while in Southampton.
My wife and I have enjoyed the Cunard tours to Stonehenge/Salisbury (end of May, 2006, windy and cold) and to Windsor Castle (mid July, 2013, hot and humid just like NYC). When the ship is due to sail the same day we always book Cunard tours because we know the ship will wait for a delayed Cunard tour bus, but it may not for your private broken down taxi. That was especially comforting last July when we were delayed on the M3 returning from Windsor by a multi-vehicle traffic mess.

IMG_2036_zps0f74e580.jpg.25f461b32be98f5ba4ea1f544ba994e0.jpg

Moonraker, We are going to be in SH for a day between crossings. I would like to do a similar bus tour to New Forest to that offered by Cunard. Do you have any suggestions? Are those tours available thru the company directly?

I'm sure that there are probably tours avaiIlable from a local Southampton coach company. I'll have a look and see what I can find and get back to you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Isle of Wight ferry is only a few minutes walk from the Ocean Terminal. The passenger hydrofoil is every 30 minutes and the journey to Cowes is 25 minutes.

The Isle of Wight is lovely: google Isle of Wight tourism for things to do and transport options, the ferry service is called Red Funnel.

Hello Brigittetom -- Hopefully you remember us from the QM2 last year? As the New Forest is one of our most favourite places, we always manage to squeeze in a few days in the Forest when visiting England or when departing on a cruise out of Southampton. We find the ponies, the country pubs, the villages, the people and a visit to the County Show, blissful.

Regards to you both

Shirley and Michael

I wonder if a trip to Portsmouth might be an idea; we recently visited the dockyard museum and saw HMS Victory and the MARY ROSE museum. Also in our ticket price was HMS Warrior and a wide range of other attractions, altogether a really good day out for naval and history buffs