Rowers (Concept 2) on ships?

Bohemian

Good for you!! :) I think you'll be surprised at how few people use rowing machines, and how quickly they're off an on to something else. If there's a line, that's a good thing IMO. Are you using the Nustep Recumberant step/bike trainer? How is it? With weigth machines and dumbbells you can probably get your strength routine in.

Yes, I'm using the Nustep recumbent bike/stepper. There are only two at my gym and very popular. The hospital has a cardio program there and I can't use it during their classes.

I was able to get into the gym on the ship but it was very crowded. The rower is okay, but as someone else said, there is no resistance on it, so doesn't do much as far as gaining strength.

I didn't try to go to that gym again, but did start back right away when I got home. Only gained one pound so I was happy.

Yes, I'm using the Nustep recumbent bike/stepper. There are only two at my gym and very popular. The hospital has a cardio program there and I can't use it during their classes.

I was able to get into the gym on the ship but it was very crowded. The rower is okay, but as someone else said, there is no resistance on it, so doesn't do much as far as gaining strength.

I didn't try to go to that gym again, but did start back right away when I got home. Only gained one pound so I was happy.

Looks like I'm going to have an extra day to try to get some resistance in the rower:rolleyes: These types of rowers don't have drag factor controls to help slow the flywheel during the recovery phase, so will probably use a slower stroke rate to get the flywheel to slowdown some. Nice going in losing only one pound on a 7 day cruise. You must have eaten only the spa cuisine:).

• 4 weeks later...

This is the Schwin Wind Rider. It doesn't control for drag. Feels like about 90-100 on a Concept 2. But you can keep the "resistance" up by keeping the stroke rating down below 25. "Slow that slide";)

IMG_0109.jpg

Notice the cushioned seat has ridges the ride up the back side. These will rub your rear the wrong way. :eek:

Edited by crewsweeper
spelling

• 1 month later...

To anyone who has been following this thread - I'm happy to say - that the Golden Princess does have a concept2 (Model D - PM3 - Only 1 though!!!).

I just got back from a 7 Day Alaska on the Golden. I must admit - this is the first cruise that I've been on where there has been a significant demand for the Rower. In the past (on NCL) there have been people that have 'tried' to use the rower - they usually last all of 5 minutes...This was the first time, where I've had to wait 20+ minutes. On one occasion, the gentleman was pulling a reasonable 25 spm @ 2:25/500m. He kept at it for 20 minutes or so - More power to him! And on another 'wait' - there was an elderly person, who seemed to just be waiting for a treadmill, and happened upon the rower - bad form, 15 spm @ 3:40/500m - she only lasted 5 minutes...

As I get more info on other boats with C2s - I'll update this thread...

Happy Rowing! and Happy Cruising!

It's good to know that the Golden has a C2 machine. We were on the Diamond Princess in November and they had none. In September, we're going to be back on the Jade (ex PoH that we were on last year) and I can hardly wait to see if they still have the two Neptune water rowers with broken computers.

It's nice to see more people getting into rowing and hopefully, the cruise line executives will take notice and start adding C2 machines to their gyms.

Edited by Bohemian

It's good to know that the Golden has a C2 machine. We were on the Diamond Princess in November and they had none. In September, we're going to be back on the Jade (ex PoH that we were on last year) and I can hardly wait to see if they still have the two Neptune water rowers with broken computers.

It's nice to see more people getting into rowing and hopefully, the cruise line executives will take notice and start adding C2 machines to their gyms.

Nice guys!! Deck plans for the Dream's gym seem to indicate 4 rowers in drawing. I'm hoping these are C2-Es with a PM4 since its a new ship. If I could get it on board I'd bring my B with a PM2 (note no +), anything but those Schwinn things ( any Schwinn is better than no rower).

I will throw another boat out there......Does anyone know if the Celebrity Century has a Concept 2? We aren't sailing until March 2010, but I thought I would check. I have asked on the Celebrity board, but I am not sure if anyone knew what I was talking about. How nice to have a whole thread devoted to rowing.

I started using the maching when my son got into rowing. He will be rowing in college this fall.

Thanks

bluehawks47, email your Celebrity PVP, or who ever took your reservations. They should be able to tell you.

Which college is your son rowing for in the fall? And you should try on the water. Saint Louis Rowing Club (?) puts some good crews together and comes to Chattanooga every year for the Head of the Hooch.

Yes, he rowed for St. Louis Rowing Club for 3 years. He started the summer before his sophomore year and was addicted. We went on a family cruise during his sophomore year spring break and he really did not want to go at all.......he didn't want to miss practice. I did all I could to find out if they have an erg before we went. I thought that might help ease the pain of going on a cruise......sounds crazy doesn't it? I guess rowing does that to you. As a mom, I wonder why I let him continue.....not wanting to go on a cruise, spending every waking moment at the boathouse, vomitting after a 2K, etc. He loved it though.

He has been to the Hooch 2 times and loves that regatta. He is rowing for Oklahoma City University this fall and I think they go to the Hooch. If they do, we will make it to that one.

I tried it on the water a bit last summer and enjoyed it, but I didn't have the time to committ to keep up. I might start up again at some point.

• 1 year later...

Going to be on the NCL Dawn (again) Dec 3 - wondering if the gym has been updated - and more importantly - if there is a concept2 rower on it - if not - I'm going to have to 'bank' a lot of meters for the holiday challenge this year...

Edited by mgs227

Going to be on the NCL Dawn (again) Dec 3 - wondering if the gym has been updated - and more importantly - if there is a concept2 rower on it - if not - I'm going to have to 'bank' a lot of meters for the holiday challenge this year...

Hey msg227...hope someone answers your question...I haven't a clue and have given up even looking for C2s on ships. But I feel your anxiety over having to bank meters during a challenge...4 days a week OTW during the Fall Challenge and I barely got in a 100K. On the cusp of 9 million, and hoping the Holiday challenge gets me closer to my goal of 10 by the end of the C2 year in April. Good luck and whether you get ot row or not...enjoy your cruise:)

• 7 months later...

Just off the Carnival Dream. There's now a C2 Model D PM3 in the Gym.

Of course mostly used by those who don't know how and row with damper on 10, and rating above 30, pull a 3:00 + for 500 meters pace and give up before 5 minutes are over.

Managed to squeeze in about 35K on the cruise, didn't go every day.

But if you're looking at ships with rowers, the Dream is anothe rto add to your list.

• 3 weeks later...

I row with the damper on 10, always have. It's the only way I feel like I'm working hard. Thanks for the info on the Dream, that's good to know.

We were on the Emerald Princess last month and sadly, there are no rowers of any kind aboard.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just off the sapphire princess. She has one concept 2 rower. Not sure if it was always there or new since she is just out of drydock. All the equipment looked new to me.

That's a good news, thanks. We were on the Sapphire in 2010 and there were no rowers and the treadmills were on their last leg.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
C2, Model E on Carnival Liberty

SAM_2157.jpg

Thanks for the new info and the pic. I would just add that the machine in the picture is the model "D". "E" looks similar but is higher off the ground - chair height. That part of the gym looks a lot like the one on the Constellation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...