Water Taxi

roysue

What a great question!!!!!

I have no experience, but I suspect that the Water Taxi will shut down come nightfall.

If you would choose to have dinner in Philipsburg or elsewhere on the island I'm certain that taxis would be available, even if asking the restaurant to call one for you.

Which Celebrity ship overnights in Philipsburg? I don't see it on the Port schedule.

gary

We will be on the Equinox, March 2016. We arrive at 2pm and depart at 5pm the following day. This brings all kinds of interesting thoughts about what will be open after the traditional "it's 4:30 and we all close because the cruise ship passengers are gone". We are thinking of taking some towels, sitting on the beach and watching the sunset.

Although it is a ways out, i will be sure and post back to let others know how much was really going on after 4:30pm.

We will be on the Equinox, March 2016. We arrive at 2pm and depart at 5pm the following day. This brings all kinds of interesting thoughts about what will be open after the traditional "it's 4:30 and we all close because the cruise ship passengers are gone". We are thinking of taking some towels, sitting on the beach and watching the sunset.

Although it is a ways out, i will be sure and post back to let others know how much was really going on after 4:30pm.

Please do!

Just thinking ... if you took the water taxi over and it wasn't running when you wanted to return, you could always take a taxi back to the ship.

LuLu

That's not going to happen.

There is a lot going on downtown even after the last cruise ship leaves.

The Water Taxi may run later than I indicated, as I realized that there are some ships that are there until 9:00 or so, but taxis should always be available.

No need for beach towels unless you want, as there are many bars, restaurants, hotels that will remain open with chair rentals and bar service.

There are OFTEN live bands on the Boardwalk, as well as live entertainment at individual bars. Sometimes even Festivals!

You could enjoy a nice (sometimes exquisite) sunset meal at a spot like Antoine's, or Pasanggrahan. Meals and snacks and drinks at Holland House or Taloula Mango's and their related spots. Perhaps even Shiv Sagar.Lots of choices.

th_DSCN0778.jpg

(click)

You could even venture across the island to Grand Case Beach Club or Calmos Cafe for the sunset.

gary

I agree the water taxi won't stop early when cruisers will be ready to spend their money onshore rather than onboard.:) The islanders will make sure they make things inviting.

We look forward to spending our overnight in Curacao, one of our faves too.

Edited by eandj

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Our next cruise will have an over night at St. Maarten. Does anyone have any experience with the water taxi on these overnights? How late does it run?

Thanks!

A couple weeks ago we took the water taxi from the docks to town, and when we arrived they announced the last water taxi back to the ships left at 5:30. It was $5 one way and $7 for unlimited rides for one day. I think local time was an hour different than ship time, and the ship told us to stay on ship time.

A couple weeks ago we took the water taxi from the docks to town, and when we arrived they announced the last water taxi back to the ships left at 5:30. It was $5 one way and $7 for unlimited rides for one day. I think local time was an hour different than ship time, and the ship told us to stay on ship time.

Were there any ships staying late?

gary

Were there any ships staying late?

gary

We were docked with the Celeb Eclipse and Silhouette but I don't know how late they stayed, sorry. You could do a search for their itineraries.

And you don't have to line up to buy water taxi tickets at the kiosk in the dock shopping area, you can go down the walkway to the ferry dock and buy them there, much shorter line. for a nice view of the beach/town sit on the port side, or the right hand side of the middle benches facing forward.

Right hand side, facing forward, would be Starboard. :)

(snip)

gary

You can't face forward on the right side, that bench along the side wall faces the center, that's where we ended up, and you have to look over your shoulder to see the beach/town. But the middle benches face both forward and aft, and you could sit on the right end of those, facing forward. There are 2 of these taxis, one going each way, and I wonder if they have different seating.

You can't face forward on the right side, that bench along the side wall faces the center, that's where we ended up, and you have to look over your shoulder to see the beach/town. But the middle benches face both forward and aft, and you could sit on the right end of those, facing forward. There are 2 of these taxis, one going each way, and I wonder if they have different seating.

...for a nice view of the beach/town sit on the port side, or the right hand side of the middle benches ...

Yes, I understand that, and I have been on the Water Taxis maybe a dozen times. I'm pretty sure that they have at least four boats, but all of the configurations are similar.

What I am referring to is your use of the word Port. Port side and right-hand side are opposites.

If you are anywhere on the boat and facing the bow, then the Port side is on the left. Starboard would be on the right.

Life cushions on your preferred seats.

th_DSCN3241.jpg

(click)

I actually prefer sitting at the very front, on the right-hand side.

Video.

gary

...for a nice view of the beach/town sit on the port side, or the right hand side of the middle benches ...
(snip)

What I am referring to is your use of the word Port. Port side and right-hand side are opposites.

If you are anywhere on the boat and facing the bow, then the Port side is on the left. Starboard would be on the right.

(snip)

gary

Ok I see the confusion ... I was talking about 2 different seats, the ones along the port side, and the right hand ones in the middle benches. The sentence kind of made it look like I was talking about one seating area. Don't you think the moderator should pin this thread as the total info package on the water taxis :-)

BTW. you sound like you know St. Maarten pretty well, are you a walker? .. have you done the Wandelroute trail from Pelican Road up the coast to the Westin. I can't find a soul who has done this.

• 1 month later...
Ok I see the confusion ... I was talking about 2 different seats, the ones along the port side, and the right hand ones in the middle benches. The sentence kind of made it look like I was talking about one seating area. Don't you think the moderator should pin this thread as the total info package on the water taxis :-)

BTW. you sound like you know St. Maarten pretty well, are you a walker? .. have you done the Wandelroute trail from Pelican Road up the coast to the Westin. I can't find a soul who has done this.

Bob - was searching CC and had seen that you have asked a few times about this... We are going to be in St. Martin the week of March 7th. This is on our list of things to do. I'll see if I can take some pics and report back if we accomplish this task.

-Sean

Bob - was searching CC and had seen that you have asked a few times about this... We are going to be in St. Martin the week of March 7th. This is on our list of things to do. I'll see if I can take some pics and report back if we accomplish this task.

-Sean

Hey Sean, to get out of this taxi thread I replied under the "Wandleroute" thread here.

-Bob