Love bugs - yet??

peanutter

We will be driving down to Cape Canaveral this Friday and wondering - since we had such a warm winter in the south - if the critters have started flying yet? I understand they are usually more active in May, but this has been an unusual year for weather. Thanks!

I'm a bit further south, and I haven't seen a flight yet. But the season is April-May and August-September. A flight could happen just about any day now once that flight starts we're stuck with them for about 3 weeks to a month.

Yogi

There were some singles floating around the yard in Northern Florida (extreme southern Georgia, geographically speaking). But not mated yet. So wouldn't be surprised to see some critters whiffling in the air along the interstates.

Thanks for the info - I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I just hate those things. We were in a "swarm" pre a past October cruise. At least they don't sting :)

They don't sting, but their acid does a number on your car paint. If you do get caught in a swarm, I suggest you have your car washed before you park it during your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
They are here!! Today in the Tampa Bay area! Saw a few today, not many but enough!

Unfortunately you're right. DW came home from shopping yesterday afternoon and had some on the windshield and front of the car. Got out my "love bug kit" and went to work. Guess I'll need to keep it handy for the next month or so.:(

Haven't seen any in Ft. Lauderdale...my Nissan is still sporting the damage from years ago after not washing the car right away. Horrible creatures...not love-able.

My Jeep had the same "spotty" front end damage from a few years back. 24 hours or so without washing and the acid in their blood will etch clear through the paint. Recently gave the Jeep to my son in law so it's his problem now.

Unfortunately you're right. DW came home from shopping yesterday afternoon and had some on the windshield and front of the car. Got out my "love bug kit" and went to work. Guess I'll need to keep it handy for the next month or so.:(

What is your "love bug kit"?

Thnk you.

What is your "love bug kit"?

Thnk you.

A couple of those artificial sponges covered in nylon mesh. Soft enough not to damage the paint but strong enough to remove the bugs and their residue. Soak them then leave wet and keep in a zip lock bag. Pick up and artificial chamois (got mine at Walmart). The mesh sponges will remove the bugs as long as they are wet then wipe down the paint with the chamois. I keep a kit in each vehicle and one in the garage.

Archived