Norwegian Epic Studios: Too Tiny or Super Chic?

What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?  

1,121 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?

• Tiny room, communal living space -- I'll go back to college for that!
    • The studios really do look cool, but I definitely need more space.
    • Love it! Small room = big savings. (It's just a place to sleep after all.)
    • I like the idea of meeting other travelers in the shared living space.
    • I dislike the idea of having to share my living space with others.
    • I don't get it. Why do people who pay the least get concierge service?
    • I have another opinion (which I'll post)

During NCL's press conference today at the Cruise Shipping Miami Convention, the line announced that Norwegian Epic will feature 128 Studio cabins that are 100 square feet apiece. Long story short, these cabins are tiny (click here for the full story).

What's the draw? The Studios feature sleeker decor including special color changing lighting effects. Also, Studio guests get an exclusive, shared social space called the Living Room that features a bar; two large TV screens; a concierge, for booking dinner reservations and shore excursions; and modern, white couches and chairs. The starting price for the Studios will be same as for New Wave Standard inside cabins, which measure a just slightly roomier 128 square feet.

We want to know what you think: Would you pay standard inside rates for a smaller cabin that's more chic and provides access to a private lounge? Or is 100 square feet simply not enough space for a cruise vacation? Vote in our poll above, and post your opinions below!

Hi Melissa,

I think it's great that NCL has spa rooms I think they should do this on all ships even if it is a few cabins:) the Living Room also sounds great!

It does sound very small but with the spa and the Living Room perks would mean less time in your cabin.

I do not think I would book that cabin any time soon I don't love the look and I'm not sure about the colored lights.

Also if I was going on a cruise with my son or even a friend it would be to small.

Hope they use this idea for other NCL ships they can call them the spa Mini suites you know the mini suites next to the spa :)

I think it is very cleaver. NCL took what would have been the worst cabins on the ship. Small inside of the inside cabins and gave them some buzz. Without the buzz they would have had to almost give this space away to sell it. In my view perfect for a solo cruiser giving them a common area to meet others.

Having cruised on easyCruiseOne, I know I can survive a week in tiny living quarters with no windows. And it's great that the Studios come with a hangout space -- even if it is communal. But my big question about these cabins is what's the storage space like?

On easyCruise, we had one shelf and two hooks and all our stuff remained on the floor -- BIG problem. And even in balcony cabins on regular cruise lines, my stuff manages to spread itself across the room, ending up on the couch, desk, etc. If there's not good storage in these Studios, they will feel cluttered and cramped really quickly.

Erica

I was in 108 sq foot on the Majesty. We kept the cabin cleaner than we did on other larger cabins. It had adequate storage space. But if you note the toilet and shower are seperate in the pictures anyway so the room you had for the mirror is needed less. I am sure the cabin storage will be similar to other NCL ships and will be fine...

The more I'm hearing about the Epic, the less it seems to fit our cruising style. But that's OK there's enough variety with the other ships for everyone.

BTW-I can't get that ad to go away to be added to the email list for CC that shows up so I seldom go to the main pages anymore

I think the style is cool, though I'd feel a bit like a fish in a bowl with the windows facing the corridor (I took a Promenade-facing cabin once on Voyager of the Seas, but higher up so I still felt I had some privacy!). And as much as I love my husband...I don't know if I could stand being that close for a full cruise!

One question we have is whether NCL would waive the single supplements for solo travelers in these cabins -- because a Studio might be an OK size for someone traveling alone, and the Living Room offers natural mingling options. We'll keep you posted (Dan Askin, who's on the ground at Cruise Shipping Miami, is seeking the answer).

The room concept reminds me a bit of Yotel, a young chain the currently has rooms inside 2 UK airports and Amsterdam, generally meant for a few hours of rest between connections. The rooms are super small, have windows facing interior corridors and are generally "funky" in design.

Overall I don't know what to think. This is definitely aimed at a younger demographic (a nice hostel at sea?) and because of that I think the pricepoint will end up being lower than the standard insides, but we will see.

Could you imagine though, you booked a standard inside and get "upgraded" to one of these?

Anyways the entire Epic design, from the open baths to these new cabins, is all things you see in modern European design. It's not all that unique, just unique to the North American market. In many ways it's very modern and forward looking, but is that what the north american cruise market needs? Whether it sells well remains to be seen, however I can see this ship becoming the largest ship in the German market, they would eat this design up!

• Administrators
The more I'm hearing about the Epic, the less it seems to fit our cruising style. But that's OK there's enough variety with the other ships for everyone.

BTW-I can't get that ad to go away to be added to the email list for CC that shows up so I seldom go to the main pages anymore

Hey there!

You need to make sure that you have your browser set to accept cookies. If you need more information on this, drop me a note.

Laura

Community@cruisecritic.com

service may be an issue

and there is only 1690 crew. the ratio of crew to passengers is much lower then the Dawn for example.

Guests: 4,228 (double occupancy)

Crew: 1,690

ratio .40(to lower berth number)

for the Dawn and Dream

Crew Members = 1,100/1,126

Entered Service = 2001, 2002

Gross Tons = 91,000/92,250

Length = 965 feet

Number of Cabins = 1,100/1,126

Passenger Capacity = 2,240/2,224 (2,683 max)

passenger/employee ratio .49/.51

service may be an issue

May be is a good way to put it.

They've said how many crew total, but we don't know how many from each ship are involved in service type jobs as opposed how many might be down in the bowels of the ship making the engines run

I think the style is cool, though I'd feel a bit like a fish in a bowl with the windows facing the corridor (I took a Promenade-facing cabin once on Voyager of the Seas, but higher up so I still felt I had some privacy!). And as much as I love my husband...I don't know if I could stand being that close for a full cruise!

One question we have is whether NCL would waive the single supplements for solo travelers in these cabins -- because a Studio might be an OK size for someone traveling alone, and the Living Room offers natural mingling options. We'll keep you posted (Dan Askin, who's on the ground at Cruise Shipping Miami, is seeking the answer).

LOL the fish bowl feel was my first thought too! If that was a choice in the poll I would have voted for that:)

I agree it may be great for a solo cruiser and no singles charge would make this cabin a great choice.

May be is a good way to put it.

They've said how many crew total, but we don't know how many from each ship are involved in service type jobs as opposed how many might be down in the bowels of the ship making the engines run

not many the vast majority(75% or more are in service jobs)...You don't need many people to actually run the ship. Big tankers/box freighters have less than 60....

I commented when I saw them. they are tiny. The idea of adding communal space is a good one and I like meeting people but unless they make them really inexpensive they will be a hard sell...IMO

Completely agree.

If I were to ever book the Epic.....I vote small space big savinigs based on this question, "IS IT A BIG SAVINGS" Does anyone one know how much one of these closets go for?

Since times are tough and I may want to cruise more, inside cabin may have to become my choice (didn't sayi it was my first choice:rolleyes:) I really only use the cabin for sleeping anyway. I really don't mind sharing a living room with others. It might be fun. Plus, on this ship, there are probably a ton of places you can go and find a quiet spot. I think my daughter dorm room is bigger than that. I would also hope they reduce single cruising fares. Sometimes I think of just booking myself for a little me time but the price is outrageous. (I do get the whole "we need paying bodies" thing)

Since you can start booking today with TA, does anyone know what pricing on any of these cabins are?

Sandy

If I were to ever book the Epic.....I vote small space big savinigs based on this question, "IS IT A BIG SAVINGS" Does anyone one know how much one of these closets go for?

Since times are tough and I may want to cruise more, inside cabin may have to become my choice (didn't sayi it was my first choice:rolleyes:) I really only use the cabin for sleeping anyway. I really don't mind sharing a living room with others. It might be fun. Plus, on this ship, there are probably a ton of places you can go and find a quiet spot. I think my daughter dorm room is bigger than that. I would also hope they reduce single cruising fares. Sometimes I think of just booking myself for a little me time but the price is outrageous. (I do get the whole "we need paying bodies" thing)

Since you can start booking today with TA, does anyone know what pricing on any of these cabins are?

Sandy

I agree with this. We could manage in a tiny cabin since we are used to not spending a lot of time in it. BUT it would have to be a big savings. And since sailing the Epic will require flying to Miami, rather than cruising out of NYC, savings will be an even bigger factor for us than usual. So, as you said, not my first choice, but if it helps to off-set the cost of airfare, I'd do it for the chance to see her. And it's nice to have a semi-private place (with bar) to relax if one of us can't sleep or to wait while another is getting ready, etc.

It definitely wouldn't appeal to me, but I'm thinking for a single it would be great. And the addition of conceirge is very enticing. A conceirge with the pricing of an inside? I think we may be surprised at how well this cabin goes over.

CG

From the press release one could be led to believe that these studios surround the living room, but looking at the deck plans most of the studios are a long way from the single living room. The studios are on decks 11 & 12 and run the length of the ship along a central hallway, but there is only one, two-story living room located between the forward elevators. So if you are booked in the aft studios to get to the living room you would need to walk the length of the ship down a narrow meandering hallway and cross over a public hallway. It appears to be a shorter distance from these aft studios to the pool deck than to the living room.

Also the deck plans show white space between many of the studios. Would these be areas for studio-size cabins for the crew? Would the key card central hallway also be used by the crew? Overall it looks like NCL had more crew cabins available than crew needed; so they have come up with some slick PR to sell these cabins to the public.

From the press release one could be led to believe that these studios surround the living room, but looking at the deck plans most of the studios are a long way from the single living room. The studios are on decks 11 & 12 and run the length of the ship along a central hallway, but there is only one, two-story living room located between the forward elevators. So if you are booked in the aft studios to get to the living room you would need to walk the length of the ship down a narrow meandering hallway and cross over a public hallway. It appears to be a shorter distance from these aft studios to the pool deck than to the living room.

Good catch! That would totally ruin the effect. I guess if I did this, I'd be veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrry careful with cabin selection.

service may be an issue

and there is only 1690 crew. the ratio of crew to passengers is much lower then the Dawn for example.

Guests: 4,228 (double occupancy)

Crew: 1,690

ratio .40(to lower berth number)

for the Dawn and Dream

Crew Members = 1,100/1,126

Entered Service = 2001, 2002

Gross Tons = 91,000/92,250

Length = 965 feet

Number of Cabins = 1,100/1,126

Passenger Capacity = 2,240/2,224 (2,683 max)

passenger/employee ratio .49/.51

How fresh is that data --are you certain that NCL has not reduced the cruise size on the Dawn and the Dream--- i think they have ( a money thing).

Big Green

Wonder how long before this ship is being dry docked for remodeling.

Definately not for me! and I dont mind small spaces. I have 5 kids in a 4 bedroom home. My issue is more with this whole communal space. I really dont want to lounge in a living room with complete strangers in their Pj's. You know there is always one in the crowd.

This ship sounds like it might have been designed for the younger or newlywed type. I just hope that it doesnt turn into a "Carnival".

I like the idea of the small room if I was the only one sailing. And I would only go if they waived the single supplement. Although the concierge service would be great and a separate bar area. I like a space to read and have a drink before dinner. I guess the communal space atmosphere depends on who is on the ship. I used to be an agent and have seen many different cabins on the NCL ships and even with the regular balconies I found it difficult to navigate the small cabins.

Wonder how long before this ship is being dry docked for remodeling.

Definately not for me! and I dont mind small spaces. I have 5 kids in a 4 bedroom home. My issue is more with this whole communal space. I really dont want to lounge in a living room with complete strangers in their Pj's. You know there is always one in the crowd.

This ship sounds like it might have been designed for the younger or newlywed type. I just hope that it doesnt turn into a "Carnival".

You don't HAVE to take a studio/communal living space option. It seems to be a relatively small percentage of the ship.

Archived