Pride of America and Oahu Pre-Cruise Review July 14-26

Perhaps one of the best feelings in life is when you wake up and you realize that you are still in paradise. This was the case this morning when we all woke up shortly after 6am to begin a hike along the beach coves to the Ko'olina Beach Park. This is an incredibly beautiful walk especially in the early morning. This trail winds around four beach coves before arriving at the Ko'olina Beach Park which has a path that does a .2 mile loop in the park. There is also a harbor here which it is fascinating to observe all the boats there. Behind you is an incredible view of the beaches, mountains, and resorts. The walk to and from Aulani plus the beach park loop is approximately 2 miles total and is fantastic for a morning run or walk!

We had our first breakfast in our room and my mom's friends brought a pelican table set which was hilarious. Following breakfast, we headed down to the grounds for a beautiful sunny day by the beach and pools. Me, Matt, and Kristin wasted no time getting to the cove, riding the slides, floating in the lazy river, and testing out the 2-layer infinity hot tub.

Oh and we also discovered that the Dole Whip sold at The Lava Shack was "all you can stack" in one cup for $4 and it was delicious.

Tonight was the night of the luau. We attended Paradise Cove (hence the title "Paradise Found"). Not only was this luau convenient, it also packed a ton of Hawaiian activities and culture into a time of 4 hours. The luau began with a scenic walk through the gate to receive a complimentary Mai Tai and to have your picture taken with a smokin' hot hula babe. Then we were directed to the pre-luau activities where our group made a crown. I think there was a lot to see and a lot we missed here though. Next came the hukilau ceremony where they demonstrated how the ancient Hawaiians fished with their nets... this is the only luau that does this that I know of and it is fascinating! Next, they led everyone to a stadium-like structure for the Imu Ceremony. We had a front row and had a great view of the pig being pulled out. Also, I had the chance to try poi when they were describing there foods there but when a little kid also came running out to try it a few seconds later, I let him have the chance instead. I guess they remembered that and came back to me after describing their chocolate cake and gave me the chance to taste it.... I think I got the better deal. :p

Following the ceremony, we were led to the main seating area where tables were released one or two at a time to the buffet. The buffet included Taro rolls, salads, chicken, mahi mahi, pork, potato salad, poi, pineapples, coconut cake, and chocolate cake to name a few. Needless to say, I don't think you will go hungry if you decide to attend this show.

Early in the show, they had volunteers do the hukilau dance. I really wanted to be a part of it since it is reminiscent of the 2nd grade class talent show act mentioned in the prologue for me. Turns out, I wouldn't get my chance to do the hukilau dance until Embarkation Day. Other highlights were the hula dancers, the Tahitian "hip shakers", and of course the fire knife dancers. I highly recommend this luau as it really does pack a lot into your time there.

We walked back to the resort to be greeted by the Hawaiian band playing on the resort grounds. This was about 10pm. Not long after, we returned to the room and the curtain falls on day two.

Up next:

Paradise Found Slideshow

North Shore Narrative

subscribing! We are on the POA in November and really looking forward to it. If you happen to have kept your Dailies I'd love if you could post them!

If he did not Brandon and I were on the ship at the same time and I will be posting mine in my review if that will help....

Perhaps one of the best feelings in life is when you wake up and you realize that you are still in paradise. This was the case this morning when we all woke up shortly after 6am to begin a hike along the beach coves to the Ko'olina Beach Park. This is an incredibly beautiful walk especially in the early morning. This trail winds around four beach coves before arriving at the Ko'olina Beach Park which has a path that does a .2 mile loop in the park. There is also a harbor here which it is fascinating to observe all the boats there. Behind you is an incredible view of the beaches, mountains, and resorts. The walk to and from Aulani plus the beach park loop is approximately 2 miles total and is fantastic for a morning run or walk!

We had our first breakfast in our room and my mom's friends brought a pelican table set which was hilarious. Following breakfast, we headed down to the grounds for a beautiful sunny day by the beach and pools. Me, Matt, and Kristin wasted no time getting to the cove, riding the slides, floating in the lazy river, and testing out the 2-layer infinity hot tub.

Oh and we also discovered that the Dole Whip sold at The Lava Shack was "all you can stack" in one cup for $4 and it was delicious.

Tonight was the night of the luau. We attended Paradise Cove (hence the title "Paradise Found"). Not only was this luau convenient, it also packed a ton of Hawaiian activities and culture into a time of 4 hours. The luau began with a scenic walk through the gate to receive a complimentary Mai Tai and to have your picture taken with a smokin' hot hula babe. Then we were directed to the pre-luau activities where our group made a crown. I think there was a lot to see and a lot we missed here though. Next came the hukilau ceremony where they demonstrated how the ancient Hawaiians fished with their nets... this is the only luau that does this that I know of and it is fascinating! Next, they led everyone to a stadium-like structure for the Imu Ceremony. We had a front row and had a great view of the pig being pulled out. Also, I had the chance to try poi when they were describing there foods there but when a little kid also came running out to try it a few seconds later, I let him have the chance instead. I guess they remembered that and came back to me after describing their chocolate cake and gave me the chance to taste it.... I think I got the better deal. :p

Following the ceremony, we were led to the main seating area where tables were released one or two at a time to the buffet. The buffet included Taro rolls, salads, chicken, mahi mahi, pork, potato salad, poi, pineapples, coconut cake, and chocolate cake to name a few. Needless to say, I don't think you will go hungry if you decide to attend this show.

Early in the show, they had volunteers do the hukilau dance. I really wanted to be a part of it since it is reminiscent of the 2nd grade class talent show act mentioned in the prologue for me. Turns out, I wouldn't get my chance to do the hukilau dance until Embarkation Day. Other highlights were the hula dancers, the Tahitian "hip shakers", and of course the fire knife dancers. I highly recommend this luau as it really does pack a lot into your time there.

We walked back to the resort to be greeted by the Hawaiian band playing on the resort grounds. This was about 10pm. Not long after, we returned to the room and the curtain falls on day two.

Up next:

Paradise Found Slideshow

North Shore Narrative

I'm researching luaus to attend on O'ahu, and have narrowed it down to Chief's Luau and Paradise Cove. Did you pay for upgraded tickets or the basic ones? I just want to make sure that if we do PC, that we get good seats and have the best experience. Were there any bad views, in your opinion? (either in the stadium for the Imu ceremony or general luau show). Thanks! :)

I'm researching luaus to attend on O'ahu, and have narrowed it down to Chief's Luau and Paradise Cove. Did you pay for upgraded tickets or the basic ones? I just want to make sure that if we do PC, that we get good seats and have the best experience. Were there any bad views, in your opinion? (either in the stadium for the Imu ceremony or general luau show). Thanks! :)

The cheap seats are fine if you wish to save some money. The gates opened at 4:30 and your seating is assigned on a first come first served basis that day. It is very important that you are there early if you are in the cheap seats if you want a good view. With the cheapest tickets, you get a complimentary Mai Tai and enough credit on your card for about two drinks. I believe the next packages up are not really worth it as you can buy extra drinks from the bar and do as good as or better in how much you spend. The only con is that you are last to the buffet and may find yourself running out of time to finish dinner for the show. If this is a concern to you,, then perhaps the top package might be worth it for the table service... but you can certainly get by just fine with the basic package and we were very happy with it.

As for the Hukilau and Imu Ceremony... strategic positioning is key. The beach where they do the Hukilau is on the far side of their property. Familiarize yourself with their schedule and wander over there before they blow the conch shell for that event. The Imu Ceremony is on the opposite side. Again, do not wait for the conch to start walking if you want good seats.

Edited by Notion_of_the_Ocean

The cheap seats are fine if you wish to save some money. The gates opened at 4:30 and your seating is assigned on a first come first served basis that day. It is very important that you are there early if you are in the cheap seats if you want a good view. With the cheapest tickets, you get a complimentary Mai Tai and enough credit on your card for about two drinks. I believe the next packages up are not really worth it as you can by extra drinks from the bar and do as good as or better in how much you spend. The only con is that you are last to the buffet and may find yourself running out of time to finish dinner for the show. If this is a concern to you,, then perhaps the top package might be worth it for the table service... but you can certainly get by just fine with the basic package and we were very happy with it.

As for the Hukilau and Imu Ceremony... strategic positioning is key. The beach where they do the Hukilau is on the far side of their property. Familiarize yourself with there schedule and wander over there before they blow the conch shell for that event. The Imu Ceremony is on the opposite side. Again, do not wait for the conch to start walking if you want good seats.

Ok cool. We'd be coming by bus, so perhaps the middle or top package would work for us. I know my husband would want plenty of good pictures!

Ok cool. We'd be coming by bus, so perhaps the middle or top package would work for us. I know my husband would want plenty of good pictures!

YMMV here but there really doesn't seem to be much incentive to the middle package from my experience. You can be closer to the stage by figuring out their system and getting there early in the cheap seats than the middle package. I would recommend either cheap seats and due diligence or the best package for not having to fuss with the buffet (if spending another $30-$50 or so per ticket is not an object). Hopefully this helps.

Love what you have done. Must be taking up plenty of your time. Keep up the good work :D. Did you do shore excursions through ncl? There are very little information and reviews about them. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Love what you have done. Must be taking up plenty of your time. Keep up the good work :D. Did you do shore excursions through ncl? There are very little information and reviews about them. Any info would be greatly appreciated

We didn't do a single NCL excursion. We saw their tour buses everywhere though. All I think I need to say about them is that you waste a lot of precious port time waiting for everyone to get on and off the bus. Do yourself a favor and do you homework and rent a car or book a private tour. You won't regret that little extra research. :) Another perk is that you may arrive to some of the attractions without the herd which is great for photos.

I agree about the private tours. Did one of them on St. Maarten this last April, it was 1/2 the cost of a similar NCL tour and included more stops, beach time and unlimited beer and rum punch :)

Much like yesterday we were up around 6. Breakfast was made and ate in our room again. Today, we had a car rental pickup scheduled at Aulani's Alamo office at 7:30. This was pretty quick and painless and we were on the road to the North Shore. I remember the ride taking approximately 30-40 minutes. Our first stop was the Waimea Beach Park. This is a simple beach park with facilities and a nice beach. We took some pictures and waded in the water before continuing on our way. We drove to the Banzai Pipeline before realizing that we did not have any towels with us and my brother-in-law Matt especially wanted to swim in the ocean there. We ended up turning around and stopping at a random surf gear stand. In the slideshow, this part is shown with me posing on a surfboard and in the turtle stand. Matt got his towel and we were off to the Pipeline. We took several pictures at this beach and Matt and I entered the ocean to brave the waves. Even in the summertime, on this particular day, the waves and current require your full attention to stay upright. It was quite a thrill being there even through the force of the waves and current would not allow me to past the break line of the waves.

Next stop was the Haleiwa Martketplace. There are several shops here and the notable "Hawaii's Best Shave Ice" sign. I got a North Shore souvenir shirt for $4 here. What a score! I did notice a lot of songs play that I recognized from the station Island 98.5 while I was there.

Now it was lunch time and we had our sights on the Giovanni Shrimp Truck. There is something charming about this area with the picnic tables, food trucks, and locals gathering here to eat. We all ordered plates of Lemon Butter Shrimp and Garlic Shrimp. My Lemon Butter Shrimp (Served with two scoops of rice) was amazing. Nancy, from our group, got a pineapple chocolate crepe and I was very tempted to get one myself. I was talked out of it because the rest of the group wanted shave ice at the next stop. I wish I would not have listened here as it was far better than the shave ice to me.

We got shave ice at Motsumoto's. I'm probably in the minority here but the taste of shave ice is forgettable to me but I have never cared for italian ice so I should have known.

Since our rental was for two days, we had to pay to park overnight at Aulani. They charge $35 dollars a night to park.

The remainder of the day was spent at the beach and pool. I had my last dole whip ice cream of the trip then. Why aren't these more raved about? They are delicious!

For the deal hunters out there, look at the kids menu of the Ulu Cafe. Their Mahi Mahi is only $7 and it is as big of a filet as any normal Mahi Mahi order that I have seen. This was the dinner choice for both my mom and I and we took the food over to near where the Ama Ama band was playing to enjoy. We got to hear an awesome one song before it started to rain and we moved back to the Ulu cafe. Nancy and Jeanine ate at Ama Ama and they said it was fantastic. I almost did this but in hindsight I don't think there experience was as stellar as it could have been with the rain canceling the band so the choice was no real loss for me.

We had planned to watch the Starlit Hui again tonight but the rain cancelled it. I got an Aulani golf shirt in the gift shop as a souvenir. After a walk around the grounds at night (after the rain had stopped), the third day comes to a close.

Up next:

North Shore Slideshow

The Road Trip Narrative

Thank you everyone for your kind words. If you have any questions at any time, then do not hesitate to ask.

New Slideshow:

July 16th: North Shore

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyplwd4vb032pbl/July%2016th%3A%20North%20Shore.mp4?dl=0

Previously Posted:

Pacific Dreamland: The Hawaiian Islands Prologue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dcay6v9jj...logue.mp4?dl=0

July 14th: Aulani's Aloha

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sudjyeeu2...Aloha.mp4?dl=0

July 15th: Paradise Found

https://www.dropbox.com/s/un3ywcj4nh...Found.mp4?dl=0

Shortly after 5am the rise and shine call comes in. This was one of our busy days. We brought along muffins, and other light foods for breakfast and hit the road at 5:45 for Pearl Harbor. We had scheduled our Arizona Memorial tour in advance online for 8am. By sheer dumb luck we get there and were asked if we would like to go on the tour at 7:30am instead and we agreed. The tour begins with a 25 minute movie about the history of Pearl Harbor. Following the movie, we exited the theater to find the boat waiting for us. The boat ride is probably 7-10 minutes. When we arrived at the memorial there was a tour director there ready to explain the site. You have the option to go along with his talk or explore on your own. Remember that tours are constantly running and it will only be 15-20 minutes before the next group arrives and you have to get back on the boat... so I would say listen to what he says in the background and take it all in on your own. On a side note but an important one... there are no restrooms available during this tour and it runs an hour and change so keep that in mind.

We had a quick food break at the car and then returned to the park.

Next we walked along the harbor and saw the USS Bowfin in the distance before getting our tickets to the USS Missouri. To get to the USS Missouri you either need a driver with military permissions or you wait for their shuttle. It will likely take you 30 minutes from ticket purchase to standing before the USS Missouri. Let me just say that this sight is amazing! Coming from someone that isn't even a history buff, I was fully engaged in the battleship scene from climbing the ladders up to the top accessible lookout deck facing the USS Arizona to the military ceremony that was going on at the main deck, to the living quarters down below. Probably the best part is seeing their mess hall, sleeping area, kitchen, and various other quarters on this level. I think the slideshow will tell the story better than I ever could here with my words. For the followers here, allow a minimum of 90 minutes to take everything in on this battleship. We were moving fast though because we had lots of things to see today so my guess is you will likely be here longer than that.

It just so happened that there was a Pearl Harbor survivor there on this day to sign autographs for purchased books. There are only eight survivors still alive and he said that he is 95 years old. God bless for him for what he's been through and being out and about and sharing his experiences with others! I'm sure I can speak for the crowd when I say that it adds so much to hear firsthand experiences.

It was about the noon hour when we left Pearl Harbor for, our next stop, Diamond Head. Now, this is the heat of the day and it was HOT HOT HOT! (I think I only lasted one picture with my shirt on.) The drive from Pearl Harbor goes from somewhat tropical to big city to desert-like all in a time frame of about 20 minutes...very interesting. The hike starts on pavement but quickly turns to an uneven path (watch your footing!). The slope is gradual for about 3/4 of the trail followed by hundreds of stairs. I wouldn't say it's a hard trail as it is only .8 miles to the top lookout but I wouldn't say it is the easiest either. The views of the crater and Waikiki at the top are quite something to see. It takes about 40 minutes to climb and 30 to descend. Also, the tunnel towards the end of the trail smells like body odor so hold your breath while you are walking through there.... just thought I'd throw that out there. At the completion of the hike, I got a t-shirt to prove that I hiked Diamond Head that has the entire trail map on the front.

The next part of our road trip takes us to Waikiki. We parked close to an ABC store. Jeanine and Nancy wanted to see the Harley Davidson store and then we went in the ABC store before going to the beach. The original plan was to hang out in Waikiki for the day but everyone quickly realized that Waikiki just lacks in comparison to the appeal of Ko'olina so we called to move our dinner reservation up so we could just head back there. Waikiki seems extremely overhyped to me.

We did get to see the Moana Surfrider which we planned to stay there before we looked into the Ko'olina area. I'm sure it would have been great if we didn't know any better but it was one more confirmation that Ko'olina is superior. A thanks to them for the tasty mango drink. That was great during such a hot day like today.

Our fourth stop was Duke's, and this is well worth the time. Dinner is in an open-air dinning room with the band playing on the patio. We ordered everything from fish, steak, and chicken here among the group and it was all very tasty. OF course, the Hula Pie is why everyone comes here though and it did not disappoint. Mac nut ice cream, chocolate fudge, and Oreo crust are among some of the many elements that make this dessert to die for. This is a must eat!

There were several rainbows and even a double rainbow on the final leg of the road trip back to Aulani which were beautiful to see. Actually everything from the rainbows through the onset of night was just unreal in beauty. It was a fantastic serenade for our last night at beautiful Aulani and Ko'olina.

This is the only time we really took advantage of the pools and hot tubs at night. The two-story infinity hot tub has a fantastic view until well after the sun goes below the horizon.

Disney had a movie playing on the lawn where we watched the Starlit Hui earlier in the week. I watched a little of the movie on the balcony while we were all getting ready for the cruise tomorrow. I was up kind of late tonight so I sat on the balcony and took in the stillness of Ko'olina at night. A few planes approached the island which was fun to watch. I even thought I saw the lights of the Pride of America as a few dots way off by the horizon line. Very peaceful! The resort and Ko'olina get an 11 out of 10 in my book and I would return in a heartbeat. These four days were simply incredible and all I can think to say is a big mahalo to Aulani for these memories. With that, that is a wrap of my pre-cruise portion of the narrative.

Coming up:

The Road Trip Slideshow

Pride of America Embarkation Narrative

New Slideshow:

July 17th: The Road Trip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnsliz29r3w100r/July%2017th%3A%20The%20Road%20Trip.mp4?dl=0

Previously Posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyplwd4vb0...Shore.mp4?dl=0

How was the Dukes? I am staying at the outrigger after the cruise :D

Duke's is certainly worth the time. The interior has a tiki and perhaps even south pacific-like atmosphere. However you describe it, you know you are at a restaurant on a tropical island while you are there. The food is delicious. I had their Hawaiian fish of the day (I think it was Papio?).

The Hula Pie is the main attraction there. Do not leave Hawaii having not tried it. :D

Wow..loving this review. Going to Hawaii in early 2018...long ways away but enjoying each and every review

Awesome review and amazing pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate the kind words from both of you and everyone up to this point.

Doing a review like this does have its challenges behind the scenes mainly with file size and memory usage. Between dropbox upgrade fees and the inevitable having to purchase an external hard drive for my computer (it has a miserable storage capacity of 121 GB) due to memory usage from this project. When it is all said and done it will probably equate to about a $100 price tag but it is worth it to bring what is likely one of the most in-depth and engaging reviews to cruise critic to help fellow cruisers.

I am thinking about if I could/should (if it's even allowed on here) and how I would set up a donation system for this to recover some of the cost... I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

With that said, there will be more on the way tomorrow so stay tuned.

Today we were up by about 6:45am and had Charlie's Taxi waiting for us outside Aulani at 8am. Yes...that means we got to the terminal at around 8:40am but that's how we roll. The terminal is interesting to see from the boarding perspective at that time. They had the doors open to the dreaded "baggage claim room" and the room was still full of suitcases from the previous cruise. They first have you line up by the baggage claim door on the far left. At about roughly 10:30 they will take your luggage and you pick up a health form before proceeding through the security checkpoint area to the check-in and waiting room. In this room, they will take the obligatory boarding photo, give you your keys, and then send you to the chairs to wait to board. There is a band here that will be playing Hawaiian music to entertain you while you wait and a station to make leis and crowns it looked like. You do get a shell lei when you first enter this room by the way. You won't be in this room for long though. Shortly after 11 Cruise Director Malu and Hawaiian Ambassador China will appear on the boarding platform above you with the conch shell blessing and begin calling groups. We were onboard sometime between 11:15 and 11:30. This is probably record time for any embarkation day that I've seen. Unfortunately, this extra time on day one would be spent on what would be thankfully the only major glitch of the trip. Our specialty dinning reservations could not be found. She tried to get new reservations for us but times were different and some restaurants were already not available. Hint hint to any cruise critic readers following this page: Have your ducks in a row with documentation for any reservations you make on this cruise. It turned out later in the day that the lady at the counter had been typing in our rooms incorrectly since our rooms were changed a few months back...the reservations still existed thank heavens. This problem continued for the next 4-5 days sporadically with incorrect charges being placed Jeanine and Nancy's account for specialty dinning. We ended up getting a high end bottle of chardonnay, chocolate covered strawberries, and chocolate covered pineapples though for the inconvenience from Kyle (group reservations). If you have any similar problems, then ask for Kyle as he was a tremendous help in getting them resolved.

The first lunch buffet is always a real treat. I always skip breakfast on embarkation morning to be able to enjoy it to its fullest. I had ribs, chicken, cod, a salad, tropical fruit, and chocolate cake with ice cream. I also remember that the first song walking in was an Ekolu song, "Everything I Own"... they are my favorite band and anything from them is just a perfect tone setter for a Hawaiian cruise.

The pool deck will be pretty empty in the hours leading up to muster drill. We enjoyed having our pick of the seats and using the pool without the little ones splashing around.

We also walked around the ship to get pictures of restaurants and public areas before they get crowded. I don't think I need to say much about this as the slideshow will do the talking here.

Muster drill is at 4:45 and you must be onboard in time to make it or you ruin your next day in Maui by having to attend a make-up drill around 5pm that day. Keep that in mind for the Day of Embark tourers out there. A lot of muster stations this time are actually on the lifeboat deck.

The Hawaiian festivities begin as the 6pm hour approached. First, there was a Hawaiian Blessing given by the Cruise Director. Hula Dances began on stage and then passengers got involved in learning the Hukilau Dance. I loved that they did this as part of the sail away party as it was a throwback to the second grade class talent show act for me. After that, they transitioned into playing the standard line dance tunes.

Sail away is at 7. I think a lot of people made the mistake of making their dinner reservations at or before 7. Don't do this! The 7-8pm hour will clock in at at least the top 10 or perhaps even top 5 of your cruise this day if you are on the open decks. You will see the sunset as you sail away from the port and have wonderful views of Waikiki that will light up as it gets dark and you will have a good view Diamond Head. Awesome!

We looked at gift shop before dinner at Cagney's. We would have $400 in onboard credit to burn through this week.

Cagney's is pretty ambient. Shrimp Cocktail, Crab Salad, and Lobster and Shrimp were popular selections with our group. I had Chocolate Decadence for dessert which I preferred with an ordered of vanilla ice cream. Very tasty dessert though!

Night life: Music at Waikiki Bar, Pink Champagne bar piano music, and Karaoke tonight. There were probably a grand total of 50 people at all venues tonight. This is just a reminder that Hawaii really is the true focus of this cruise with no sea days.

The Pride of America, glitches aside, even this early, is very impressive for a 2005 ship. I was in my glory.

Coming up:

July 18th: Pride of America Embarkation Slideshow

July 19th: Maui (featuring Ekolu's music)

New Slideshow:

July 18th: Pride of America Embarkation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sahh5brrp226fjr/July%2018th%3A%20Pride%20of%20America%20Embarkation.mp4?dl=0

Previously Posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyplwd4vb0...Shore.mp4?dl=0

July 17th: The Road Trip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnsliz29r3...0Trip.mp4?dl=0