Le Galion Beach

l2f

Hello,

Haven't seen any recent threads on Le Galion. I waited to after the trouble settled down in SMX before posting asking, thinking perhaps people weren't traveling that far while the trouble was going on.

We went to Le Galion last November, and although we had a little difficulty getting a taxi back to port, we are considering going again.

How are things at Le Galion? Any changes to consider if deciding to go there?

Thanks

Bumping this up with the same question. Will be there in a week! Is Le Galion a good choice in light of the political unrest, or should we go to Little Divi instead?

We really liked when we went there in November. And even though was a slight issue getting a taxi back, want to return.

Karysa provided me a lot of info last fall.

Hopefully someone can answer. If not and you still decide to go, please come back and give an update.

Edited by l2f

Anything is possible, but I do not think you should make a decision based on possible "political unrest." Chances of "political unrest" on day you are there are very small. On day you are there, if you find that things are going on - protests etc. - just change the plans and go to Divi Little Bay. Le Galion is fine - closer than Orient to pier.

Anything is possible, but I do not think you should make a decision based on possible "political unrest." Chances of "political unrest" on day you are there are very small. On day you are there, if you find that things are going on - protests etc. - just change the plans and go to Divi Little Bay. Le Galion is fine - closer than Orient to pier.

My question would have been better worded as: is there still political unrest and protesters blocking streets? Will we have any trouble getting to/from Le Gallion?

What was your trouble finding a taxi for the return trip? My understanding is the restaurant will call for you???

My question would have been better worded as: is there still political unrest and protesters blocking streets? Will we have any trouble getting to/from Le Gallion?

What was your trouble finding a taxi for the return trip? My understanding is the restaurant will call for you???

I understand the protests have subsided and are no longer a concern. While the food stand ( wouldn't really call it a restaurant) will call a taxi for you - assuming you gave them some business - you should allow a bit of time. Of course, depending upon how many are in your group - say four, or so - renting a car would be as economic as taxi fares, while giving you additional options.

This was our experience... that said we would definitely return to LeGalion.

We watched the parking lot for a while looking for a taxi dropping people off. None for the time we watched.

The first time we went to the restaurant to have a taxi called, they said taxi's usually come every half hour. So it was like 10-15 minutes for the next half hour. we waited the 10-15 minutes, none showed.

Went back to restaurant asked again if they would call a taxi and they said something like by the time one gets here it will be 30 minutes. If none shows then, we will call one. So we waited again. And no taxi again.

So we went back to the restaurant and they said we had to give them $20 ($10 per person and it was 2 of us) for them to call a taxi. They explained this was new policy as many people would ask for a taxi, then if a taxi showed (not the one the restaurant called) the people would leave.

The restaurant is responsible for the taxi cost since they called for a taxi regardless if the people that requested the taxi left already. I totally get this policy.

Gave them $20, they called the taxi, and when the taxi showed up, the guy from the restaurant met us at the taxi and gave us our $20 back.

We asked the taxi that took us to LeGalion if they would come back at a certain time to pick up us. At least the taxi driver was honest and said it was a long ride and unless they were bringing someone they wouldn't be back.

Luckily we tried to go back a little early, as we were getting a little tired from the sun. Also this was our first time at LeGalion so when the restaurant told us taxi's are there every 30 minutes we didn't question it.

So in the future if we are at LeGalion when we are ready to leave and no taxis in sight, we will just give the deposit first time we ask to have a taxi called.

As for this experience, we weren't sure if the person at the restaurant was having a bad day or what, but this experience will not change us returning to LeGalion. We had a great time there.

Edited by l2f

Thank you for the feedback. I'm curious, did you purchase food from the restaurant during your time at the beach? I am wondering if they did not go out of their way to help you because you hadn't made a purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback. I'm curious, did you purchase food from the restaurant during your time at the beach? I am wondering if they did not go out of their way to help you because you hadn't made a purchase?

We did not purchase anything from the restaurant. However when we first arrived I went to the restaurant to pay for the umbrella and chairs we rental. The gentleman thanked me for coming up but said he would come down to us shortly.

The same gentleman came down the beach for us to pay for umbrella and chairs. This was the same person who we inquired about the taxi with each time.

Never really thought about us not using the restaurant, but I guess anything is possible.

Edited by l2f

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this up with the same question. Will be there in a week! Is Le Galion a good choice in light of the political unrest, or should we go to Little Divi instead?

Mom.to.2 - what did you do in SMX

I understand the protests have subsided and are no longer a concern. While the food stand ( wouldn't really call it a restaurant) will call a taxi for you - assuming you gave them some business - you should allow a bit of time. Of course, depending upon how many are in your group - say four, or so - renting a car would be as economic as taxi fares, while giving you additional options.

Does the restaurant no longer serve at tables?

There were the picnic tables on the sand under the roof - but I would call Tropical Wave a beach bar or a snack bar - the term "restaurant" possibly suggesting a bit more formality and wider menu than there is.

I think beach bar/restaurant go together but snack bar to me is a place to get an ice cream or a hotdog. I only ate at Chez Pat once many years ago now but it was good and we had full lunch meals served so it was a beach restaurant to me. I preferred my meals at Orange Fever, Karakter, Sunset Cafe and Le Soleil better but I would still call it a restaurant. :)

I think beach bar/restaurant go together but snack bar to me is a place to get an ice cream or a hotdog. I only ate at Chez Pat once many years ago now but it was good and we had full lunch meals served so it was a beach restaurant to me. I preferred my meals at Orange Fever, Karakter, Sunset Cafe and Le Soleil better but I would still call it a restaurant. :)

I suppose any place that serves food can be referred to as a restaurant - I would not refer to a Burger King, Dairy Queen or KFC as one, nor an open air spot with limited menu serving food on picnic tables on the sand --- but it's just a matter of individual usage.

I suppose any place that serves food can be referred to as a restaurant - I would not refer to a Burger King, Dairy Queen or KFC as one, nor an open air spot with limited menu serving food on picnic tables on the sand --- but it's just a matter of individual usage.

I understand. Just disagree that's all.

Navybankerteacher the answer I was looking for was yes they do or no they don't. It was a rather straight forward question to me.

You asked "Does the restaurant no longer serve at tables".

And I answered that there were tables - giving you a straight forward answer to your question ---- parenthetically mentioning that I would not call the establlshment a restaurant; to which usage you took exception .

All right, since it seems so important to you I will henceforth refer to the place as a restaurant. Happy?

You asked "Does the restaurant no longer serve at tables".

And I answered that there were tables - giving you a straight forward answer to your question ---- parenthetically mentioning that I would not call the establlshment a restaurant; to which usage you took exception .

All right, since it seems so important to you I will henceforth refer to the place as a restaurant. Happy?

You can call it what you want. For those interested the restaurant is called Chez Pat and not Tropical Wave if anyone is looking for reviews on TA before deciding if it's a place that they would be interested in eating at.

You can call it what you want. For those interested the restaurant is called Chez Pat and not Tropical Wave if anyone is looking for reviews on TA before deciding if it's a place that they would be interested in eating at.

Assuming that by TA you mean Trip Advisor, they do provide reviews for Tropical Wave - see Tripadvisor/tropicalwave/legalion ; but if you insist I will refer to it by its alternate name: Chez Pat.

Well if I was the owner I would advertise it as Tropical Wave as the reviews under that name are really good. There are 4's and 5's down the entire first page right now. :) The pictures that I saw of shrimp on fresh greens look really good so I may actually have to try this restaurant myself again. Reviewers mention steak and creole chicken which is also up my alley. I do like the beach a lot but we usually head to Grand Case from there for lunch but now I think it's worth another try. Thanks for the info this was helpful.

Edited by Karysa

• 2 weeks later...

Read over on sister site that someone visited LeGalion in April and stated there were "a tractor raking the sand the entire time they were there" doing work on the beach and a crew cutting trees.

Not questioning this was or wasn't happening just trying to find out if the work is complete.

Does anyone know or have recently visited can say if this work is complete?

Thanks

Read over on sister site that someone visited LeGalion in April and stated there were "a tractor raking the sand the entire time they were there" doing work on the beach and a crew cutting trees.

Not questioning this was or wasn't happening just trying to find out if the work is complete.

Does anyone know or have recently visited can say if this work is complete?

Thanks

Good to hear they are taking care of the beach. My feeling would be that this type of work would not take long even in St. Maarten. You can check tripadvisor for Chez Pat or Tropical Wave as folks would likely mention something like this if it occurred while they were there.

Good to hear they are taking care of the beach. My feeling would be that this type of work would not take long even in St. Maarten. You can check tripadvisor for Chez Pat or Tropical Wave as folks would likely mention something like this if it occurred while they were there.

I will go back. I did see this on TA but didn't notice the author.