Costa Rica for 80 somethings!

Toad

Just looking for some more expert advise from CC members and guests re: good shore excursions in CR for the parents. They are very active 80 y.o. Any advise?

Hello,

We were in Costa Rica in late March, 04. We booked a private tour with Oscar Brown (several threads under Port of Call - Costa Rica/Puerto Limon - please check into them, they are providing a well of information and about Oscar Brown also) and had safe and wonderful time with him. He waited for at the pier with his van (air conditioned).

We are planning for another Panama Canal cruise about the same time next year and will get in touch with him again so he can show us some other places. If you need any more information, feel free to contact me

t.rahm@att.net.

HIGHLY recommend the Torteguera(sp) Canal excursion. We found it to be one of the best shore excursions I have ever done on any cruise.

You take a bus to the canal. Along the way you stop at points of interest, my favorite was the banana farms, very interesting, then you go to the canal where there is an area where you can use the facilities, get something to drink and some wonderful fresh fruit, oh and the coffee, the best. The canal ride was awesome, saw all kinds of animals, crocodials, all kinds of birds, turtles, sloths, monkeys, this is an excellent excursion.

You have to try the coffee in Costa Rica, its wonderful. The ship will offer a coffee package that you can buy and have it sent home to your house. I did this and am still buying my coffee from cafebritt, they have a web site that I order from, http://www.cafebritt.com as a matter of fact, just ordered some the other day, should be at my house in a day or two.

You will love Costa Rica, its spectacular.

Just want to totally agree with Doone. Costa Rica is fabulous as is the Torteguera Canal trip. Very laid back as you very slowly are transported down the canals. We saw wonderful wildlife and it was most restful and interesting. The bus trip through the countryside and banana plantation was very informative and interesting. And the rest stop is a lot of fun. I would loved to have spent more time in CR and seen the Pacific side, too. It is completely different than the other Caribbean ports and your parents should love it. It is a very friendly country and the Costa Ricans are very well educated.

Just don't stay on the ship or in the dock area- there is way too much of interest to see on the excursions and we highly recommend the canal trip. Of all the CR excursions I have seen reviewed on cruise message boards it seems to deliver what is promised more than most of the others. It is perfect for all ages, but especially would be appreciated by seniors. :D

We also enjoyed the canal trip.....It was a wonderful way for us to spend Easter Sunday! AND yes, you do see wildlife!...2 and 4 legged! Not just the birds, but humans too - fishing & beaching.

Buy your coffee at the "market" right off the ship! Also - some nice carved wooden objects to buy.

Archived