American Airlines

kapcruiser

We had reservations for my son to fly home from Charlotte next month and they changed his flight from 11:30am to 9:00am. My son didn't want to half to get up that early so I called and asked why and they said the had canceled that flight. The new flight was cheaper but they wouldn't refund the difference. But they let me cancel and I found another airline cheaper and with the later flight. So it all worked out. But I do think they will be trying to merge a lot of flights.

The news reported that there are merger talks between American Airlines and US Airways.

Vinnie

Don't hold your breath on that one ..... or any merger for that matter. That airline (nor it's employees) will go for a merger.

As far as the OP question - don't worry about your ticket. It will be honored and no they won't go out of business. Airlines change their schedules 2-3 times a year, so when someone books flights more than 6 months out, there is a chance of a schedule change...your 9am flight turns into 11am because they no longer offer 4 flights a day out of your station. If that happens, just call AA and they will work with you.

No problems for me. In fact, I've been keeping an eye on the price for flights from Columbus to Miami for our upcoming cruise. Finally, yesterday, the price for the flight I wanted dropped $36.00 per person. Yay! Now, if only the prices for Delta for the return flight would drop down, I'll be really happy. I just have to be vigilant.

As an AA Executive Platinum frequent flier, I am on AA planes very, very regularly...next up is Tuesday morning from Kansas City to Orlando via Dallas. I've already been on 6 AA flights this year. No issues whatsoever - you will notice no difference at all.

The news reported that there are merger talks between American Airlines and US Airways.

Vinnie

That has been a rumor for years, even before bankruptcy. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath...

We had reservations for my son to fly home from Charlotte next month and they changed his flight from 11:30am to 9:00am.
Any evidence that was a direct consequence of the bankruptcy??
Thats the problem I'm having now with considering them for our Dec. plans. I don't want to be scrambling to find another flight just because they start cancelling flights at their convenience.
AA flights will not be cancelled just for "convenience". ALL airlines make regular schedule changes. If you want great assurance that your flight schedule will not be changed, buy your ticket a week before your flight. Of course, you'll be paying full-fare coach prices, but hey, the schedule won't change. Everything has a price.
Has anyone had any issues with airlines since they filed bankrupt?
If you mean AA, yes....my stock value has cratered. ;)

Vinnie

I got an email from my airline because I own a lot of stock (I'm a pilot for Delta) that they want to either buy US Airways or AMR, which is American's parent company. I would totally like an AMR merger with Delta because I rarely get to fly down to South America and I'd love to do that more often.

More than one other legacy carrier has gone through reorganization under bankruptcy laws and is still flying (e.g., both UA and Delta, I believe). I have not yet seen any news reports of AA possibly going the way of Spanair

I got an email from my airline because I own a lot of stock (I'm a pilot for Delta) that they want to either buy US Airways or AMR, which is American's parent company. I would totally like an AMR merger with Delta because I rarely get to fly down to South America and I'd love to do that more often.

No reason to believe that DL would put 747-400s on those routes (they don't to current South American destinations), so you wouldn't work those flights. Don't you like the NRSA options to South America? Plus, DL will be getting more codesharing in South America with the addition of Aerolineas to SkyTeam.

I will share a bit of information that I recently learned a few days ago when Spanair suddenly stopped flying and canceled our flights. Travel insurance companies have "alert lists". Maybe this is common knowledge but I had no idea when I booked our flights and got our travel insurance. When I called Travel Guard, they said they had to check to Alert List to see if Spanair was on it because if it was on it, I could not file a claim.

Spanair wasn't so I am covered if my credit card doesn't step in. American Airlines is on the list and it is my understanding that flights would not be covered. I copied an pasted the top part of the list:

Financial Default:

Our plans no longer cover financial default for the following travel suppliers:

Company:Effective Date:4 SOUTH AMERICA TRAVEL03/14/2007AIR MIDWEST05/15/2008ALOHA AIRLINES03/21/2008AMERICAN AIRLINES11/29/2011AMERICAN EAGLE11/29/2011

Thats the problem I'm having now with considering them for our Dec. plans. I don't want to be scrambling to find another flight just because they start cancelling flights at their convenience.

You will have that issue with any airline booking this far out. I'd hold off booking air until at least the summer.

IWhen I called Travel Guard, they said they had to check to Alert List to see if Spanair was on it because if it was on it, I could not file a claim.

Not entirely accurate. You purchased your insurance BEFORE Spanair's problems, so you would have been covered. If you look at the Alert list example you have posted below, you will see that AMR/AAA/American Eagle coverage isn't provided after 11/29/2011. If someone purchased their ticket and insurance before that date, they would be covered.

Our plans no longer cover financial default for the following travel suppliers:

Company & Effective Date: AMERICAN AIRLINES 11/29/2011, AMERICAN EAGLE 11/29/2011, AMR 11/29/2011.

Glad you pointed this out. Really, I had no idea about what an Alert list was. My TA didn't tell me. We booked our flights over to Europe in Jan., after AA was on the list. I think one of the airlines we were looking at had an AA flight. I then added my flight cost to the policy. My TA didn't ask about what airline it was. I guess it is not his responsibility. I am just glad that I know what an Alert List is now.

...If you mean AA, yes....my stock value has cratered. ;)

I guess you never read Bob Crandell's famous quote -

"I've never invested in any airline. I'm an airline manager. I don't invest in airlines. And I always said to the employees of American, 'This is not an appropriate investment. It's a great place to work and it's a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.'"

:)

Have often heard "Cranky's" advice....personally, I have never held airline stock long since I made money as a kid on Braniff. I got out before deregulation started -- the stockholder trip to South America was one interesting aspect to being a BN investor. So my AA comment was a joke.

I have shorted airlines, and that always worked out well.

PS: Crandall

• 2 months later...

Vinnie

That possibility has been in the news for a while now, but recently a couple of AA unions seem to have approved the possible merger. Two airlines in trouble merge and the result is . . .? I assume US Airways, as the smaller partner, would move into the Oneworld Alliance from the Star Alliance. Routes would be cut at some point? We fly a lot between the U.S. and Brazil and have usually taken Continental. The flights from Houston and Newark haven't yet been reduced since the merger with United, but it's early yet. US Airways has just the one route to Brazil (Charlotte to Rio), while AA has several. My wife quite liked the true lie-flat seats on US Airways's 767. I remember when US Airways and America West merged. Latter was bigger but the former's name was better known and/or had a more national/international right to it.

That possibility has been in the news for a while now, but recently a couple of AA unions seem to have approved the possible merger. Two airlines in trouble merge and the result is . . .? I assume US Airways, as the smaller partner, would move into the Oneworld Alliance from the Star Alliance. Routes would be cut at some point? We fly a lot between the U.S. and Brazil and have usually taken Continental. The flights from Houston and Newark haven't yet been reduced since the merger with United, but it's early yet. US Airways has just the one route to Brazil (Charlotte to Rio), while AA has several. My wife quite liked the true lie-flat seats on US Airways's 767. I remember when US Airways and America West merged. Latter was bigger but the former's name was better known and/or had a more national/international right to it.

Yes, I think the labor unions like the merger possibility because US Airways claims they would let only 6800 people go, while American plans to axe 13,000. Who knows what the reality would be.

Funny thing about US Airways ... I remember back around 1980 when a regional airline known as Allegheny wanted to expand and sound more national. Allegheny bought their new name of US Air from an air freight forwarder ... how far they've come from those regional days.

Archived