Do you ever get a response to your comments on the comment card?

cvpends

On another thread, a CC member mentioned wondering if he will get a response to his comment card. This made me wonder: Do people ever get a response to their comments on the comment card, and were changes made in response to the comments? I took my comment card for the Splendor seriously and I certainly hope Carnival does make the fixes I suggested! Is it reasonable to have such expectations?

I have never received a comment card either. After our last cruise on the Liberty I sent them a letter via snail mail and received a lovely letter back from them.

I did receive a comment card to my email address - I filled it out.. and was very honest. At the end, I did add additional comments, and these were pretty serious comments - I will fill you in here on what happened to us..

My son is deathly allergic to crustations (shrimp, lobster, crab) and mildly allergic to tree nuts (everything except peanuts) - Because of his allergies, the junior hostess on the Valor would come see us each evening at dinner time, to take Scott's orders for the next day - lunch and dinner, for the diningroom. One lunch he ordered something called a fruit terene(not sure of spelling?) - So, there we were sitting in the diningroom for lunch, and the waiter is well aware of the special ordered meal for my son.. so when dessert time comes, he goes to get the fruit terene thingy, and comes out with it.. my son, who's 18 is very fussy, cuts one small piece of it, and put it to the corner of his mouth.. and it touched the corner of his mouth.. and just as he did so, I could see PISTACHIOS on it! I said to him to STOP and not eat it.. he pulled it away and within a few seconds the corner of his mouth turned red, and started to swell. and he said his tongue started to feel tingly.. but not a lot.. so we called the junior hostess to come see.. and she kept appologizing.. well, apologies weren't going to help us any.. she never talked to the waiter, or anyone in the kitchen.. just kept saying sorry to us... so my husband goes to the gift shop and buys some benidryl they have there.... Scott isn't feeling too badly, corner of mouth red and swelled and tongue still somewhat tingly. .takes 2 Benedryl.. I then start thinking.. we should tell the Maitre'd.. so my husband goes to get him.. and the Maitre'd apologies.. offers to have us reimbursed for the Benedryl(which he did) and goes to have a talk to the waiter.. Apparently what happened was that when the waiter went into the kitchen to get my sons dessert, a person back there gave him the wrong plate.. didn't give the special ordered one, but gave the waiter a regular one instead.

Later that night the Maitre'd came to see us at our table at dinner time.. and asked how Scott was.. he was fine by then.. and the Maitre'd said that if Scott needed to see medic he would have the nurse oncall asap and we would not have to pay for the medic service if Scott felt he needed it.. well at that time Scott was fine.. and he didn't feel he needed medic at the time it occured as his reaction wasn't overly severe (we carry an EpiPen also)

So I did put ALL the above on my comment card.. and have heard nothing back.

My comment card came in the form of an e-mail from carnivalguestfeeback@express.medallia.com and had the subject line Thank you for sailing with Carnival! It said:

Thank you for sailing with us. We hope you had a "funtastic" time aboard the Carnival Splendor.

Everyone at Carnival Cruise Lines works very hard to create the ultimate vacation experience. As a valued Carnival guest, your feedback is extremely important to our success - It gives us insight into what you feel are essential components to a fun-filled, carefree, and memorable vacation.

Please, take a moment to tell us about your cruise experience. This feedback aids in our efforts to create "vacations of a lifetime." And oh yeah, just to show you how much we appreciate your feedback, your returned survey will automatically be entered in a drawing for a FREE* 7 day Carnival cruise.

btn_crv_red_left.gif

btn_crv_red_right.gif

You have 10 days to provide your feedback and be entered in the drawing for a free Carnival cruise!

We look forward to your feedback and welcoming you again soon.

For the first time, we received the e-mail survey after our December Liberty cruise. I filled it out - all good comments about crew, wait staff, etc. Noted one "disappointment"- that was not receiving the Platinum backpack that was supposed to be given out as of that sailing. (Instead we received 4 more soft coolers.) The next day, get a phone call thanking us for our comments, and that the crew mentioned by name would get the "praises" we sent- and that we would be receiving the backpack in the mail as soon as the main office got them. I really didnt think that would ever happen. However, 2 weeks later we received 4 backpacks in the mail! I sent another thank you note to the woman who had left the call. I was pretty impressed by that follow-up!:)

For the first time, we received the e-mail survey after our December Liberty cruise. I filled it out - all good comments about crew, wait staff, etc. Noted one "disappointment"- that was not receiving the Platinum backpack that was supposed to be given out as of that sailing. (Instead we received 4 more soft coolers.) The next day, get a phone call thanking us for our comments, and that the crew mentioned by name would get the "praises" we sent- and that we would be receiving the backpack in the mail as soon as the main office got them. I really didnt think that would ever happen. However, 2 weeks later we received 4 backpacks in the mail! I sent another thank you note to the woman who had left the call. I was pretty impressed by that follow-up!:)

Wow..I am impressed also. Good to hear something positive about Carnival's customer service, seems like everyone just wants to post the negative.

First off, you can ask for a comment card if need be. I have received almost immediate responses. One extreme example while on a 28 night b2b aboard carnival liberty:

in the main dining room i noticed A LOT of the lighbulbs were burnt out. now we are not one bulb here and there. a good 30% were out - looks very shoddy, IMHO. i was in the restaurant business for many years so i notice the details. anyway, i put this observation on a comment card. one day shortley after the bulbs were all changed. i asked about it and was told they had to bring a cherry-picker in to change them at night. looked so much better to have all the beautful murano glass fixtures properly lit. and yes, i did fill out another with a positive response this time.

from a comment card? never (when they had them. i must be in the 60% that have never gotten the electronic kind.

but i have always received a response when an analog letter was sent to their offices.

my first one included a 20% off my best cruise fare. my second was 25% off.

my third which i thought was a minor issue, i got 30% off, which i was actually able to umbrella over my party of 8.

then, those silly 45 day letters started, which were really an insult with the choices they listed.

i understand they did away with those. the same offerings can now be obtained by posting your sailing on the brand ambassadors facebook page although we get most of those goodies as vip cruisers.

I did receive a comment card to my email address - I filled it out.. and was very honest. At the end, I did add additional comments, and these were pretty serious comments - I will fill you in here on what happened to us..

My son is deathly allergic to crustations (shrimp, lobster, crab) and mildly allergic to tree nuts (everything except peanuts) - Because of his allergies, the junior hostess on the Valor would come see us each evening at dinner time, to take Scott's orders for the next day - lunch and dinner, for the diningroom. One lunch he ordered something called a fruit terene(not sure of spelling?) - So, there we were sitting in the diningroom for lunch, and the waiter is well aware of the special ordered meal for my son.. so when dessert time comes, he goes to get the fruit terene thingy, and comes out with it.. my son, who's 18 is very fussy, cuts one small piece of it, and put it to the corner of his mouth.. and it touched the corner of his mouth.. and just as he did so, I could see PISTACHIOS on it! I said to him to STOP and not eat it.. he pulled it away and within a few seconds the corner of his mouth turned red, and started to swell. and he said his tongue started to feel tingly.. but not a lot.. so we called the junior hostess to come see.. and she kept appologizing.. well, apologies weren't going to help us any.. she never talked to the waiter, or anyone in the kitchen.. just kept saying sorry to us... so my husband goes to the gift shop and buys some benidryl they have there.... Scott isn't feeling too badly, corner of mouth red and swelled and tongue still somewhat tingly. .takes 2 Benedryl.. I then start thinking.. we should tell the Maitre'd.. so my husband goes to get him.. and the Maitre'd apologies.. offers to have us reimbursed for the Benedryl(which he did) and goes to have a talk to the waiter.. Apparently what happened was that when the waiter went into the kitchen to get my sons dessert, a person back there gave him the wrong plate.. didn't give the special ordered one, but gave the waiter a regular one instead.

Later that night the Maitre'd came to see us at our table at dinner time.. and asked how Scott was.. he was fine by then.. and the Maitre'd said that if Scott needed to see medic he would have the nurse oncall asap and we would not have to pay for the medic service if Scott felt he needed it.. well at that time Scott was fine.. and he didn't feel he needed medic at the time it occured as his reaction wasn't overly severe (we carry an EpiPen also)

So I did put ALL the above on my comment card.. and have heard nothing back.

Sorry to here a back kitchen mistake was made that affected your son's cruise. Glad it was caught in time and nothing serious came of the incident.Sounds to me like the Maitre d' did all he could do. Was neither his nor the hostesses' nor even the waiter's fault. Your vigilence as a parent should be a lesson to your 18 year old son to double check for these things in all his food intake at places outside the home. Not sure what kind of comment you expect from Carnival, and not sure if you are complaining about the service or thanking the maitre d'. And I'd think whomever read your e-mail would be confused too. Not defending Carnival or the dining personnel who should be always vigilant on special needs orders. But those placing special orders do need to be vigilant as well, which fortunately you were! It's a two way street.

On topic, I think we got an email for comments but it's subject line read like a marketing ploy for booking another cruise and it went into the trash file along with all the other marketing "deals" that find their way into our email.

I took my comment card for the Splendor seriously and I certainly hope Carnival does make the fixes I suggested! Is it reasonable to have such expectations?

I would not expect the changes you recommended to be implemented, unless many others recommend them as well.

Carnival takes their comment cards very seriously, but they can't make every change someone suggests. Everyone suggests something!

But they do aggregate the data to get a picture of what needs to be fixed and what is being done well. And it is very important to mention top employees by name- they are rewarded for that.

Sorry to here a back kitchen mistake was made that affected your son's cruise. Glad it was caught in time and nothing serious came of the incident.Sounds to me like the Maitre d' did all he could do. Was neither his nor the hostesses' nor even the waiter's fault. Your vigilence as a parent should be a lesson to your 18 year old son to double check for these things in all his food intake at places outside the home. Not sure what kind of comment you expect from Carnival, and not sure if you are complaining about the service or thanking the maitre d'. And I'd think whomever read your e-mail would be confused too. Not defending Carnival or the dining personnel who should be always vigilant on special needs orders. But those placing special orders do need to be vigilant as well, which fortunately you were! It's a two way street.

On topic, I think we got an email for comments but it's subject line read like a marketing ploy for booking another cruise and it went into the trash file along with all the other marketing "deals" that find their way into our email.

If someone looking at the dish could see pistachios than there was a failure by Carnival all around. If you had to cut it open to see them only the chef making the dish is at fault.

DW has food allergies and for quite a few years they were great but on last few they have not been paying the same attention.

We do know to look carefully at her dishes before she starts eating them.

I received an email comment card the day I returned from my last cruise. I completed the survey including a complaint. I did receive a response on that complaint. I doubt it will change anything but they did respond.

On another thread, a CC member mentioned wondering if he will get a response to his comment card. This made me wonder: Do people ever get a response to their comments on the comment card, and were changes made in response to the comments? I took my comment card for the Splendor seriously and I certainly hope Carnival does make the fixes I suggested! Is it reasonable to have such expectations?

That is a good question. I filled out my comment card and added some comments concerning my cruise in March 2012 but never got a response. I wonder what CCL wiil do when the card is filled out and comments are made concerning a cruise.

Gary

Claire,

I'm the type of person who writes letters to companies, have been doing so for probably 25+ years. I write complimentary/politely critical letters, fill out hotel room surveys, restaurant reviews etc etc. Epecially in todays age of emails, I think a hand written note goes a long way.

If you're courteous in your response to Carnival, I think that adds to you getting back a response. Our first Carnival cruise (on Splendor) is coming up and I will be looking for those customer comment cards. I may not always get a reply, however, I feel by writing, I'm speaking for the XXXX number of people who don't respond.

:)

Claire,

I'm the type of person who writes letters to companies, have been doing so for probably 25+ years. I write complimentary/politely critical letters, fill out hotel room surveys, restaurant reviews etc etc. Epecially in todays age of emails, I think a hand written note goes a long way.

:)

LOL, I'm the same way, and I come from a long line of letter writers! We used to sit around the dining room table writing them. I still remember the letter I wrote to Nabisco when they changed Butterfinger to make it "crispier, crunchier!" I told them that I had eaten Butterfinger since I was young (I was in fact young when I wrote the letter) because I always adored the buttery (not crispy) texture, and its flavor rich with peanut butter and a crunchiness that was from peanuts instead of a boiled corn syrup-suger mixture. I told them that the new bar sacrificed flavor for crunchiness. And their response: They sent me coupons for the new Butterfinger!!!? Seriously? Did they even read my letter?

Anyway, my complaint about the Splendor (a ship I LOVE) was in regards to the sound system in the MUTS. I think there was something wrong with a subwoofer, because it was actually physically painful to listen to. I suspect a tear in a speaker or at least something wrong with the settings on the graphic equilizer. I really hope they fix this problem before I get on the Splendor again in July.

No no.. was not complaining.. We were pleased with the way the Maitre'd handled it. Just had us scared.. and has my son somewhat scared for any future cruise.. :(

If someone looking at the dish could see pistachios than there was a failure by Carnival all around. If you had to cut it open to see them only the chef making the dish is at fault.

DW has food allergies and for quite a few years they were great but on last few they have not been paying the same attention.

We do know to look carefully at her dishes before she starts eating them.

Not sure if you are familiar with the lunchtime fruit terene dessert? It was the first time anyone in our family had ordered it.. Scott loves fruit, and I think he thought it was be a fruit type of dish he might like.. the pistachio's were chopped up tiny particles..and were sprinkled ontop of the dish, I would have to guess at the time it was prepared.. not when served.. I was just lucky to spot something GREEN.. and that alerted me to it..

LOL, I'm the same way, and I come from a long line of letter writers! We used to sit around the dining room table writing them.

Brings back this memory..... Stouffer's Mac'n Cheese... it was now microwave friendly...thing was you had to remove the product and put in a 'microwave safe' dish. WHAT? I wrote a letter ...ya, right ? Remove from package, put it into a dish ( I'll have to clean) than microwave. I'll take my bows now....we can all microwave that mac'n cheese :D

Archived