Aranui Smoking Policy

Hi Diane:

Not to worry about smoking on board.

When I was on the cruise 1 year ago, there was a smoking area in the rear quarter of the deck where the pool is located and there were never more than 3-4 people there smoking.

Often times, nobody smoking.

I'm an ex-smoker and didn't notice smoke at all.

There's no smoking in the cabins or any of the public areas.

You will really like the trip as it is an adventure, every day.

Go and enjoy it.

Jim

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to put in my $0.02.

Thanks so much for your Reply. We are seriously considering this ship for our next cruise.

I do have a question. My husband has a slight mobility problem. When we embark and disembark a tender, he needs an extra pair of hands till he gets his balance again. He has some concern about getting on and off the whalers.

Can you put his mind at ease?

Diane

Hi Diane:

I can absolutely put your mind and his mind at rest over that concern.

The guys that work on the ship are mostly BIG STRONG guys and when passengers are embarking or disembarking the tenders, the crew is right there and, for safety's sake, almost lift you in and out of the tenders onto the ship's platform.

They know how to gauge the movement of the two vessels and the wave action and will take complete care of you.

It was, by far, the most unique cruise I've ever taken and I don't think I'll ever top it.

I had one of the suites with a balcony and it was well worth the slight extra cost including the single supplement.

The people you will meet and the fun you will have is something special.

I was one of the only 2 Americans on board our cruise, most others were from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Germany, France, and a sprinkling of Asian countries.

Everybody spoke English and all were experienced travelers.

By the second day, the crew knows your first name and calls you by that.

There were no children on board.

It was incredible.

And the food trucks in Papeete are not to be missed either.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Thank you so much. Very helpful information.

And based upon what you wrote about the crew, I gather they are at shore side to also help in and out of the tenders?

I have continued to read about this cruise and the islands and am very excited about it. I hope we are able to do it.

Diane

Hi Diane:

Your assumption regarding the crew being at the shore side is correct.

The crew goes wherever the barges (tenders) go.

And the barges go wherever the ship goes.

The barges are kept on the deck of the ship and are lowered into the water by the cranes on the deck of the ship.

Sometimes the barges take the passengers to island areas where there is no dock.

In those cases, the barge powers up onto the beach and the front of the barge drops down onto the sand, a la WWII landings.

Part of the adventure on this cruise is the fact that the ship is totally self-contained for anything they want to do.

For example, if you want to go sport fishing near one of the island stops, the cranes dip into the hold of the ship and bring up a sport fishing boat and lower it into the water for your fishing trip.

It is the most unique cruise in the world.

I may do it again some day.

Jim

Sometimes the barges take the passengers to island areas where there is no dock.

In those cases, the barge powers up onto the beach and the front of the barge drops down onto the sand, a la WWII landings.

This is great to know! I was afraid there would be wet landing ... climbing in and out of boat over the hull. Doesn't sound like it!

Part of the adventure on this cruise is the fact that the ship is totally self-contained for anything they want to do.

For example, if you want to go sport fishing near one of the island stops, the cranes dip into the hold of the ship and bring up a sport fishing boat and lower it into the water for your fishing trip.

Is this an included excursion option??? I know my husband would love to do something like this. And another question on excursions ... do they provide snorkeling equipment or do people bring their own?

It is the most unique cruise in the world.

Certainly sounds like it. We are hoping to go in 2014. Can't wait for the schedule to come out so we can book it. Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Diane:

The sport fishing is an extra cost item and has to be reserved ahead of time or they don't put the fishing boat in the water.

I don't recall seeing anybody with snorkels or fins either theirs or otherwise.

You'd have to ask when you book.

Speaking of booking, are you aware of Travltips located in Queens?

I did my cruise booking thru them but booked my flights and hotels on my own.

Jim

Archived