What kind of top coat for artifical Nails when tanning?

henepup

Several years ago, I was tanning for our cruise and my artifical nails turned yellow. What kind of top coat do you use to keep them from turning yellow? My new nail guy told me they won't turn yellow, and if they do he will fix them. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Henepup, excellent question. I wish I had the answer. I stopped wearing acrylics months ago for that reason. I'm actually getting them done this wednesday (after tanning) for our cruise and I'm going to try the solar nails (tech said these won't yellow) and see.

Good luck, hopefully somebody will know of a top coat for us;)!

Happy Sails!

Romy:)

Several years ago, I was tanning for our cruise and my artifical nails turned yellow. What kind of top coat do you use to keep them from turning yellow? My new nail guy told me they won't turn yellow, and if they do he will fix them. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!!

I get Solar Nails, they have never turned yellow ;)

Orly has a bottle specifically called 'Sunscreen for Nails', "protects from UV rays which can fade or yellow nail polish". I use it all the time, although I don't know how well it would do for a french manicure as I always have a color on my acrylics.

My nail tech puts a "UV Topcoat" on my nails, and they have never turned yellow. :)

-Kim

I get Solar Nails, they have never turned yellow ;)

What are solar nails? Are they as durable as acrylics? And of course I have the french manicure, actually I have them put white tips on, the polish just wears off too quick for me.

I have tried the OPI sunscreen clear coat, but that didn't work. The nail salons say its the accelerator that I use that cause them to yellow, doesn't sound right to me.

If my nail tech hand paints the French manicure they always turn yellow. But when I have them airbrushed they don't yellow as fast.

The only problem the airbrushing doesn't last as long. If you have them done right before you cruise they should last about 8-10 days before yellowing.

• 1 month later...

I bought Nail Savers at my tanning salon. They are just rubbery type little sleeves that go right over your nails. This is the best thing I have found so far for my white nail tips. I can usually get 6-8 weeks of non yellowing, then I get color a couple of times and it is usually cloose to time for a new set after that anyway

I bought Nail Savers at my tanning salon. They are just rubbery type little sleeves that go right over your nails. This is the best thing I have found so far for my white nail tips. I can usually get 6-8 weeks of non yellowing, then I get color a couple of times and it is usually cloose to time for a new set after that anyway

Thanks I will look for them at the salon or online!!! Thanks Again

What are solar nails? Are they as durable as acrylics? And of course I have the french manicure, actually I have them put white tips on, the polish just wears off too quick for me.

I have tried the OPI sunscreen clear coat, but that didn't work. The nail salons say its the accelerator that I use that cause them to yellow, doesn't sound right to me.

I could see that... When I do massages I always know who has a fake tan, because of an ingredient in certain tan lotions, starts to come out when I rub the body. It stains my sheets the grossest colour of 'dirty orange'. So I can see ingredients in them turning artificial nails yellow. Reacting to some sort of chemical or glue...

I have never had gel nails. Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

I have never had my acrylic or gel nails yellow in the tanning bed. My nail lady does pink acrylic over my entire nail then does a white gel on my tips and clear gel over the entire nail. I love it and have been tanning for the last month for our January cruise and have had no problems. Hope this helps.

I own a tanning salon, I get my nails done regularaly.

Solar nails don't yellow.

The main thing is, if you have a tanning lotion with a bronzer in it, or a base in it, it's going to turn your nails a yellow color just from the reaction of the lotion with the UV lights.

My suggestion is this: Use the nail hiders, or just put on all your lotion, and wipe your hands (concentrating on your nails) with a babywipe. They shouldn't yellow after that.

Good luck.

I'm guessing solar nails are what we cal U.V. Gel nails here. You get a topcoat and then put your hands in a little U.V. oven like thing?

I wear the Gels because I feel like they're stronger besides never yellowing and I can do anything with them, never had a break in...6 sets or so.

Archived