Do they swipe your driver's license on Norwegian?

mkupstar

No they do not swipe it. The only thing a license is used for is when a photo ID is required to get back on the ship along with your sea pass card. It's used only for ID purposes.

Wouldn't it be used in conjunction with your birth certificate to prove US citizenship when on a closed loop cruise? That doesn't mean it will be swiped, but two forms of government issued ID are usually required when there is no passport present.

Wouldn't it be used in conjunction with your birth certificate to prove US citizenship when on a closed loop cruise? That doesn't mean it will be swiped, but two forms of government issued ID are usually required when there is no passport present.

? only one pictured government issue id. is required. the birth certificate is not an id. they won't swipe the dl to see its not suspended.they aren't tied into that system although they will ask homeland security if you are wanted. most states also issue an id that is not a license.

Edited by smeyer418

Where are you cruising and why was it suspended?

No need to answer but some countries will not allow people with certain types of felonies ( and misdemeanors????) into the country.

Canada for one is very strict about this. Many of those with DUIs cannot travel to Canada for some years afterwards.

Edited by SadieN

Where are you cruising and why was it suspended?

No need to answer but some countries will not allow people with certain types of felonies ( and misdemeanors????) into the country.

Canada for one is very strict about this. Many of those with DUIs cannot travel to Canada for some years afterwards.

It doesn't matter. Cruise ports don't check everyone's driving records.

It doesn't matter. Cruise ports don't check everyone's driving records.

DUI is a serious crime in Canada and authorities there share records with U.S. and vice versa. I have read on these forums that some people with DUI's were denied entry into Canada. There is a method for applying for a waiver but it takes time and can be costly.

Edited by sail7seas

DUI is a serious crime in Canada and authorities there share records with U.S. and vice versa. I have read on these forums that some people with DUI's were denied entry into Canada. There is a method for applying for a waiver but it takes time and can be costly.

But I'm mot talking about Canada. The OP isn't driving into Canada. They are going on a cruise.

But I'm mot talking about Canada. The OP isn't driving into Canada. They are going on a cruise.

I wasn't able to see where he is cruising. Did he say and I missed it?

NCL sails Canada/NE cruises.

From what I've learned on these boards, if a ship is sailing to Canada, Canada can deny entry to someone who has a DUI in the US. That person may not even be able to board the ship in the first place.

The OP didn't say what the itinerary he's going on. And he has just one post, so we can't check to see if he's posted on a roll call.

The reason why Canada is being brought up is that it's one country that he won't be able to get off the ship if he has a DUI on his record. Has nothing to do with whether he intends to drive into or in Canada. And if this is the case, he won't be allowed on any cruise that is going to any Canadian ports. And it doesn't matter whether he intends to get off the ship or not.

So it might be nice if the OP returns and says which itinerary (and which ports) he's planning to take.

Some assumptions going on here like DUI. There are any number of reasons a license may be suspended and it could even be something like writing bad checks.

http://www.dmv.org/in-indiana/suspended-license.php

Absolutely there can be any number of reasons for suspension of drivers license including non-payment of child support in some states.

I still have not found where OP mentioned where his cruise is going though I have looked. :o

Edited by sail7seas

Absolutely there can be any number of reasons for suspension of drivers license including non-payment of child support in some states.

I still have not found where OP mentioned where his cruise is going though I have looked. :o

No, the OP did not say where they were going.

Right. And I highly doubt it's Canada. But either way they know they can't enter Canada ever now and that anywhere else is fine. ☺

No one knows why their license was suspended. It could be that they haven't met insurance requirements or failured to pay fines for a speeding ticket. I doubt Canada would bar them for those things.

The OP probably won't be back and I don't blame them with people bringing up a DUI when they have no idea. The OP was lurking and their question was answered in the first couple of posts.

Edited by iheartbda

Just to clarify, they don't check your driving record. However they may check you criminal history, and that is where a DUI or bad check writing would be discovered. If the reason it is suspended is for a crime (ie felony or misdemeanor) it could prevent entry into another country.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Why do you keep repeating the same things. We know we don't know why. And its not our business! He got his answers.

You're not making any sense because it's not clear to whom you are speaking in your last couple of posts. If it's me, clarifying something is not "keep repeating". BTW, I said no one knew why and pretty much inferred it was no one's business. I also posted before you that he got his answer.

Just as an FYI, Sail Seven Seas said she did not see where he was cruising, did he say and she missed it? You said that he did. Please tell us where he is going because I, and others, missed it.

Both usually must be valid.