what is in a drink called cosmopolitan?

billy10

thanks if anyone knows. Is it a sweet drink?

Vodka, triple sec (orange liqueur), cranberry juice and lime juice. Chilled and then strained into a martini glass. Personally I don't care for them (too sweet for me, though not as sweet-sweet as, say, a pina colada or something like that), but they are very popular among many of my girlfriends.

My wife loves them. It is a martini type drink. Google it and you will find a few variations.

When I make them I use Cointreau instead of triple sec. Sometimes Grand Marnier. Very little cranberry juice is used. It isn't really sweet sweet.

I don't know about being a ladies drink. Sometimes I will have them because I need the cranberry juice to help avoid kidney stones. Beer also helps. After I had kidney stones my doctor told me to drink a few beers every day. I don't have kidney stones anymore but now I need a new liver. :eek:

so its a lady's drink thanks

Well, I doubt you'll find any laws on the books prohibiting male consumption..........

I don't typically care for sweet drinks/cocktails, but if/when I do get thirsty for a cosmo I only use a splash of cranberry juice. Curbs the sweetness and keeps the vodka the predominant flavor. ;)

cosmo_cocktail.jpg

They serve this drink at the Captain's Club party on ships. It is an equal opportunity drink. I have had kidney stones and the cranberry juice is a known treatment for stones. So it makes sense to have several Cosmos. My doctor also insists on a beer a day will reduce the formation of kidney stones. He suggests a premium beer. A prescription is not needed....

2oz of vodka

1oz triple sec

2oz cran juice

juice of one fresh lime

Shake over ice

This is not a sweet drink - if it is then too much cran juice or a sugared `lime mix` is being used. If you use a fresh lime it makes all the difference.

Tastes like cran lime koolaid for adults!

As an Elite member of the Captain's Club, Celebrity provides a free happy hour each evening from 5pm to 7pm. One of the drinks on the menu is a Cosmopolitan, but I go with the Apple Martini. I'm male and 6'2" -- it's seems very gay for a male to consume these drinks, but my wife doesn't seem to care!;):)

Enjoy!

Kel

I'm male and 6'2" -- it's seems very gay for a male to consume these drinks, but my wife doesn't seem to care!;):)

I doubt the consumption of vodka mixed w/cranberry juice defines one's sexual orientation!!! :D:eek::D

• 3 weeks later...

How do you drink it, people? I tried it once, and it was soooooooooo sweet. Like when they test you for blood sugar and give you a glass of sugar, lightly sprinkled with water, to drink. It almost glued my intestines together, I swear.

Compared to a Cape Codder, not sweet at all, they have very little juice. A good bartender will make them so they are well balanced. They are not as sweet as some of the other martini drinks out there such as Swedish Fish, Grape Crush, Orange Creamsicle, Tiramisu or Chocolate Covered Pretzel.

Warning after the first, get up and walk around and wait a little before a second.

Archived