Tender Priority

Maddle

When in a Tender Port on an Azamara ship, is there a priority system for disembarking/tendering? For instance, do ship's tours passengers depart first? or elite passengers? or elite from a sister line? or is the tendering done "First Come, First Served?"

Do ship's tours start time begin on the dock? or in a meeting place on the ship?

Do Azamara ships have their own tenders? or do they use whatever is provided by the port authority?

Maddle

Edited by Maddle

When in a Tender Port on an Azamara ship, is there a priority system for disembarking/tendering? For instance, do ship's tours passengers depart first? or elite passengers? or elite from a sister line? or is the tendering done "First Come, First Served?"

Do ship's tours start time begin on the dock? or in a meeting place on the ship?

Do Azamara ships have their own tenders? or do they use whatever is provided by the port authority?

Maddle

Hi Maddle, our ships have tenders. Tour participants gather in the lounge and the tour groups are called by letter.

Thanks Bonnie - if you are not on a Ship Tour, do you have to wait until participants tender over - or can you go first before the groups leave? or some other plan?

We have a short (very short) day in Sicily. I would like to make an independent plan. If I'm ready to go, can I get off right away?

Do elite passengers have any priority? How about Diamonds from RCCL?

Maddle

We've never had a problem leaving the ship when we tender. Just go down to the gangway when you're ready to leave.

That's how I've always done it too. But I'll inquire on Monday to see if there's actually a policy.

Perhaps, Maddle, yove been on bigger ships where they had to keep more order?

They usually stagger when the ships tours go off ( they are called by number not letter by the way). I have never seen a situation on Azamara that tours all left before other guests. These tenders are really big - 100 passengers can get on each one. What the ship usually does is use 2-3 boats first thing so it's really quick

That's how I've always done it too. But I'll inquire on Monday to see if there's actually a policy.

Perhaps, Maddle, yove been on bigger ships where they had to keep more order?

Thank you - that's what I would need to know about.

We're in port only from 9 to 3pm in Sicily. I would like to book something independently, but I am concerned I won't be able to get off the ship in a timely fashion to have enough hours to do the tour justice. If I have to wait for all the Ship's tours to go first, I will lose about an hour. Normally I wouldn't mind waiting, but an hour is a good percentage of the the time in port.

I have been on big ships (and a small ship) with tendering....but I haven't had such a short port time and wanted to go somewhere. I am usually laid back - take my ticket and wait my turn. I could see me chewing my nails in this instance.

Maddle

I have been sitting on the very first tender-straight from my cabin-and had to wait until it fills up -mostly with tours - that alone can waste up to 20 minutes.. as soon as the ship clears you can leave.. so plan on going but might have to wait to tender is full.

We're in port only from 9 to 3pm in Sicily. I would like to book something independently, but I am concerned I won't be able to get off the ship in a timely fashion to have enough hours to do the tour justice. If I have to wait for all the Ship's tours to go first, I will lose about an hour. Normally I wouldn't mind waiting, but an hour is a good percentage of the the time in port.

I have been on big ships (and a small ship) with tendering....but I haven't had such a short port time and wanted to go somewhere. I am usually laid back - take my ticket and wait my turn. I could see me chewing my nails in this instance.

Maddle

Which port is it? You may just have to DIY in that port, plus you have to be back on the ship by 2:30, or is it 2:45?

Maddle

I think in Sicily an independent tour rather than DIY is the way to go. To give contingency, I would be looking at a 4 hour tour. Thr tour operator will understand the situation in their port and will advise accordingly. For example, in some ports tides can slow up tender docking, but the locals know the score.

Azamara is great at arriving early and when they are using the lifeboats as tenders they have them down really quickly and the safety officers have cleared the tender platform as ok to use really quickly, they are just great at that sort of teamwork. I have often been on a tender that has left 5 minutes after we were supposed to have docked on the basis we arrived about half an hour early.

Our port for Taormina is Giardini Naxos.

There's always the DIY/taxi option, or the Ship's "Explore on Your Own" shuttle.

I like the idea of hiring a guide who can tell us what we're looking at and any significance...and also drive us back when we are done. You only have to satisfy six people. (The ship offers that guided tour too - but it would be a big group rather than just half a dozen.)

The other option is a drive throughout the island, but no accompanying certified guide. Our group is a little skittish about that because of the short visit to the island....and the proprietor recommends just visiting Taormina (and surrounding area.)

So much depends on the tender operation.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Maddle

There's always the DIY/taxi option, or the Ship's "Explore on Your Own" shuttle.

I like the idea of hiring a guide who can tell us what we're looking at and any significance...and also drive us back when we are done. You only have to satisfy six people. (The ship offers that guided tour too - but it would be a big group rather than just half a dozen.)

The other option is a drive throughout the island, but no accompanying certified guide. Our group is a little skittish about that because of the short visit to the island....and the proprietor recommends just visiting Taormina (and surrounding area.)

Maddle

Our first trip to Giardini Naxos, we did a ship excursion to Mt. Etna ,Greek Theatre and then had some time to spend in Taormina on our own. I don't regret that decision. When you figure in tendering and the time you have to be back on the ship, it really doesn't give you a whole lot of time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Personally, I would probably do an excursion that guaranteed I would be back to the port on time.

We had a wonderful private guide this May in Sicily. He is young, has a great van and can drive directly into Taormina because he is a resident. If you post your email address, I will forward his info.

Jo Ann

Thank you - that will be very helpful. Please write to me -

Maddle58 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

Maddle

Maddle

We used Mario Astone for an excursion at Messina and I would highly recommend him.

http://www.sicilywithmario.com/