I'm a first-timer. What should i do when i get on board?

byline

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If your cabin is ready, go there and drop off the hand luggage. Some lines don't have them available until 1 or 2 pm.

After that, we go to the library and find some books to read.

Then we go to lunch.

Next, if we are not familiar with the ship, we will wander around and check out the public rooms.

As usual the gentleman from Greenville South Carolina has provided excellent advice, especially the part about visiting the library.

And, as the Reflection is a big ship carry a map of the ship with you so that you can find your way back to your cabin. The crew will help you of course but a map is a good thing to keep with you.

And, stand up front as high as you can go on the Reflection and stand in the wind as the ship heads out to sea.

Edited by Fredr
language

If your homeport is a warm weather one....wear your swimsuit under your clothes....so you can hit the pool! Few folks will be there until late afternoon.

Get a drink...call your buddies and gloat a bit, and get into the vacation mode!

There truly is no "must do" or "not do" on YOUR vacation!

really? cruising solo and your first stop is the library.. I can go to the library at home or carry it with me on a Kindle. if you have carry-on and your room isn't ready get a drink and a good seat. then dump your luggage and get another drink check out the pool, dining areas, whatever interest you.

My guess is that you haven't visied a library on a cruise ship. Secondly a terrific ice breaker for a solo, is to ask the person next to you if the book they are reading, is interesting, worthwhile and so on. And frankly one of the many joys of a cruise, is that you can read as much as you want. As for drinking, you can go down to your neighborhood tavern where your friends are anxiously awaiting your arrival so you can begin drinking. You do not need to go on a cruise to go on benders...drinking on cruise ships is very expensive but some people don't care about the expense.

I agree, visit the libary. My libary at home has free internet and after hearing how much it costs on ships, I'd check out th elibary for free internet. Keep us postedd.

This question comes up frequently and the responses never seem to change much - most folks opt to board as early as possible.

I, on the other hand, prefer to avoid the crowds and lines and wait to board until later in the afternoon. I know that I have all week (or 12 days, or whatever the length of the cruise) to eat basically the same food at lunch each day, and equally as much time to explore the ship. I don't need to cram it into the first few hours along with a couple of thousand other eager beavers.

Clearly I'm in the minority on this, which is just fine with me. I like strolling aboard without a wait, when the staff aren't frenzied trying to keep up. We typically go out to lunch at a restaurant near the port and board afterwards.

This question comes up frequently and the responses never seem to change much - most folks opt to board as early as possible.

I, on the other hand, prefer to avoid the crowds and lines and wait to board until later in the afternoon. I know that I have all week (or 12 days, or whatever the length of the cruise) to eat basically the same food at lunch each day, and equally as much time to explore the ship. I don't need to cram it into the first few hours along with a couple of thousand other eager beavers.

Clearly I'm in the minority on this, which is just fine with me. I like strolling aboard without a wait, when the staff aren't frenzied trying to keep up. We typically go out to lunch at a restaurant near the port and board afterwards.

Sounds like something I would write. happy cruising