Embarkation from Hell in Vancouver BC

My wife and I had a great repositioning cruise on the NCL Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver BC ending May 5. We spent the night in Vancouver, and then planned on taking the one day repositioning cruise on the NCL Jewel to return us from Vancouver to Seattle.

We dropped off our bags at 1pm and then started the embarkation from hell - first we were warehoused in a huge holding room with cruisers on 3 different ships - one from Princess, one from Celebrity, and the Jewel. Large groups of people were assigned numbers based on arrival time from 1 to at least 88. With our 1pm arrival we were in group 65 and it took 2.5 hours to get from number 42 to 65.

When 65 was called, we cheered and were allowed to begin the next phase - we waited for about 30 minutes in a line before the metal detectors - passengers were delayed because there wasn't room for people after the security station.

Once through the metal detectors we went to another large room with rows of chairs. Rows of people were seated front to rear and then allowed to exit in order after about 1 hour of waiting.

Next, we waited in a 25 minute line to stop at one of 14 US Homeland Security officers desk and showed our passports in a 30 second stop.

Finally, we left the immigration stop and had no delay with the NCL check in personnel. We boarded the ship at 5:35 (it was supposed to leave at 5 pm, but ended up leaving just before 8pm).

We were told the reason for the huge delays was the overwhelming number of cruisers ?7000 - but clearly the NCL Jewel was sailing at much less than 50% capacity.

I suppose we could have gotten a better number by stopping by earlier and then having lunch - they did not penalize you for missing the number just called. When 65 was called, everyone with numbers 1-65 were invited to join the arduous process. Waiting for the number to be called was perhaps the most frustrating part but clearly not the only major point of delay.

Other suggestions, if you are able:

1. Don't sail from a foreign country (even Canada) into the US

2. Avoid Vancouver Port: Latitudes status and even suite won't help (it isn't a NCL issue, it is a Homeland security issue)

3. Don't sail out of Vancouver when all 3 cruise docks are occupied

4. Show up right when the check-in counters open even if you have to sit on the ship at the buffet - it beats standing in line / sitting in holding rooms with just water for 4 hours.

You missed the best method to minimise annoyance - don't show up until at least 2pm on a three-ship day. In fact, not until 3 pm in the first month of the season.

At the beginning of the season there are lots of new staff - you had the misfortune of being on the first 3-shipper of 2016 and it does show the cracks in the system badly.

Believe it or not, by adding the 'huge holding room' things improved A LOT. Imagine what it would have been like if your entire time pre-security had been standing in a line, barely moving, down in the bowels of the building and you'll have an idea of how it used to go... and any delay between security and CBP is 100% down to lack of CBP capacity.

Once their holding area is full, they are the ones who order security to stop screening so nobody else gets through until they're ready for them. You might have seen them working at capacity but it's very possible the earlier boarders saw fewer staff on duty until the delays became ridiculous...

Edited by martincath

There is no question that it was hell at Canada Place yesterday. This ritual happens every May when the ships start repositioning for the Alaska season. I am also mindful of waiting for almost 2 hrs in a driving rainstorm for a taxi at pier 91 in Seattle on a repositioning cruise in May. So all cruise terminals have there issues. As much as I would like to say, arrive at 2 pm and avoid lines on repositioning weekends....my experience is that it doesn't work, I have seen people arrive at that time and still face a 3 hr line. A wait on repositioning weekends are simply a fact.

Believe it or not, by adding the 'huge holding room' things improved A LOT. Imagine what it would have been like if your entire time pre-security had been standing in a line, barely moving, down in the bowels of the building and you'll have an idea of how it used to go...

I know that line. That was bad!

Thanks for the heads up on this - we leave next Saturday( May 14th) on the Star - I think we will wait until 3pm to go to the ship.

Better take Patience with us!!!!!

eclue:rolleyes:

All cruises from Vancouver go to the US. The American authorities insist that the passengers be "precleared" so that upon arrival in what ever American port the ship calls at first, immigration procedures are not required. There simply is not enough immigration staff in Alaskan ports to handle that process.

This week, for what ever reason, the American authorities decided to send just 5 immigration officers to the pier, knowing that there were 3 very large vessels sailing. Normally there are that many for each ship, the case during the summer months. At sailing time for one of the ships there was still a line up out of the building for embarking passengers. One ship was so late leaving that the tide was missed at Seymour Narrows resulting in the entire Alaskan itinerary to be ruined, including a stop in Glacier Bay.

No one in the industry can comprehend why only a small crew was sent to the dock on perhaps the busiest day of the season. I am sure the Port and certainly the 3 cruise lines have many questions for the American authorities.

The information you have provided is shocking particularly as in each passenger's fare there is included a fee that is remitted to CBP for pre clearance at Canada Place. I have lost track of the amount of the fee but believe it is in the range of $5 to $7 per person.

I was down at Waterfront Center on Saturday working a volunteer event and while having lunch in the food court got talking to one of longshoremen - he stated any time there are three ships in port - Convention Hall C is used for ALL ships - and then the process is as described in another post.

The other issue which many of us cruisers myself included create that instead of arriving at a time when the cruise suggest - like around noon - we for any number of reasons - want to get there early and be the first on the ship.

There is an image posted by a cruiser who sailed on May 6 on another thread showing a sardine like lineup at the entrance to the Security area taken at 10 AM which also might explain why things were so slow.

I will be there on a three sailing day - May 20th - should be interesting.

Cheers!

Dennis

If you are asking if there are 2 different piers in Vancouver, the answer is no, Ballantyne Pier was closed a year ago and all cruise ship operations were consolidated to Canada Place. The are 3 different berths at Canada Place, east, west and north and they all share the same passenger entrance and from there you are directed to the ship you are embarking.

Are there two different terminals: an east and a west? Are conditions same at both?
To clarify...

• Canada Place is West of the old Balantyne Pier.
  • There is an East and West side to the cruise terminal the ship may be docking. Important for those staying at the Pan Pacific wanting to see their ship dock in the morning. Either way you enter the same Canada Place Entrance for embarkation.
  • There is an East and West Convention Centre. Canada Place is part of the older East Convention Centre.
  • Canada Place is on the West coast. While the capital of Canada is closer to the East coast.

To clarify...

• Canada Place is West of the old Balantyne Pier.
  • There is an East and West side to the cruise terminal the ship may be docking. Important for those staying at the Pan Pacific wanting to see their ship dock in the morning. Either way you enter the same Canada Place Entrance for embarkation.
  • There is an East and West Convention Centre. Canada Place is part of the older East Convention Centre.
  • Canada Place is on the West coast. While the capital of Canada is closer to the East coast.

No where did anyone ask about the Capital of Canada, so I don't know why you need to clarify.

Additionally, if there are three ships you will have ships in the East and West berths with an additional ship on the slanted north berth, which was explained above.

Furthermore, this thread is talking about how the first three ship day was a exercise in patience and a nightmare. So adding off topic information not related to the thread is not actually helping, especially since putterdude answered the question without needing to further clarify and the poster saw it prior to you posting.

Having boarded a ship on the day this post is referring too. It was not a pleasant experience for all parties involved. Plus I hope CBP has all 14 lanes open for the next 3 ship day. Only having 12 of the 14 open slowed things down, but it could have been worse if they had sent less.

My wife and I had a great repositioning cruise on the NCL Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver BC ending May 5. We spent the night in Vancouver, and then planned on taking the one day repositioning cruise on the NCL Jewel to return us from Vancouver to Seattle.

We dropped off our bags at 1pm and then started the embarkation from hell - first we were warehoused in a huge holding room with cruisers on 3 different ships - one from Princess, one from Celebrity, and the Jewel. Large groups of people were assigned numbers based on arrival time from 1 to at least 88. With our 1pm arrival we were in group 65 and it took 2.5 hours to get from number 42 to 65.

When 65 was called, we cheered and were allowed to begin the next phase - we waited for about 30 minutes in a line before the metal detectors - passengers were delayed because there wasn't room for people after the security station.

Once through the metal detectors we went to another large room with rows of chairs. Rows of people were seated front to rear and then allowed to exit in order after about 1 hour of waiting.

Next, we waited in a 25 minute line to stop at one of 14 US Homeland Security officers desk and showed our passports in a 30 second stop.

Finally, we left the immigration stop and had no delay with the NCL check in personnel. We boarded the ship at 5:35 (it was supposed to leave at 5 pm, but ended up leaving just before 8pm).

We were told the reason for the huge delays was the overwhelming number of cruisers ?7000 - but clearly the NCL Jewel was sailing at much less than 50% capacity.

I suppose we could have gotten a better number by stopping by earlier and then having lunch - they did not penalize you for missing the number just called. When 65 was called, everyone with numbers 1-65 were invited to join the arduous process. Waiting for the number to be called was perhaps the most frustrating part but clearly not the only major point of delay.

Other suggestions, if you are able:

1. Don't sail from a foreign country (even Canada) into the US

2. Avoid Vancouver Port: Latitudes status and even suite won't help (it isn't a NCL issue, it is a Homeland security issue)

3. Don't sail out of Vancouver when all 3 cruise docks are occupied

4. Show up right when the check-in counters open even if you have to sit on the ship at the buffet - it beats standing in line / sitting in holding rooms with just water for 4 hours.

Thanks for the long explanation; to summarize (if I've read this correctly)

Long wait, because holding room post-security but pre USA Customs Immigration was unable to hold the backlog from USA Customs and Immigration. Sounds to me like it was entirely an issue with USA CBP.

As you are an American resident, can I please ask that you contact your government and tell them to send more staff.

Quick question:

Is there any benefit (such as special - shorter! - lines) for USA citizens with Global Entry or similar supposedly expedited status?

It sounds like it was such a zoo that nothing like that would have helped anyway.

But later in the season, when (IF??) things settle down, is there any Global Entry type of line?

Thank you.

Earlier this week I received an private email from a Cruise Critic member who has information as to how undermanned the US CBP is in Vancouver be it at YVR or Canada Place. I undertook not reveal the member's name or the actual numbers but the deficiency is shocking. Each and every Alaska bound passenger is paying something in the order of $7 for preclearance at Canada Place and this money is remitted to the CBP. People, you are not getting what you are paying for and I would also urge you to write your elected government members on this topic. There is nothing we in Canada can do other than shake our heads over the poor service the CBP is providing.

Quick question:

Is there any benefit (such as special - shorter! - lines) for USA citizens with Global Entry or similar supposedly expedited status?

It sounds like it was such a zoo that nothing like that would have helped anyway.

But later in the season, when (IF??) things settle down, is there any Global Entry type of line?

Thank you.

Nope. The only advantage is that, once you are actually at the kiosk (if open) or CBP agent, your TT status is known so you have a lower chance of extra questions/secondary inspection. Given there's an explicit policy in place already to minimise extra Qs when borders are busy, it's a very minimal benefit on 3 ship days.

Perhaps in years to come we'll get proper GE lanes, since it's already in place in some other cruise terminals, but I personally think Vancouver will be very low in the pecking order due to it's part-time status and simple lack of space to further subdivide the limited post-security area.

Nope. The only advantage is that, once you are actually at the kiosk (if open) or CBP agent, your TT status is known so you have a lower chance of extra questions/secondary inspection. Given there's an explicit policy in place already to minimise extra Qs when borders are busy, it's a very minimal benefit on 3 ship days.

Perhaps in years to come we'll get proper GE lanes, since it's already in place in some other cruise terminals, but I personally think Vancouver will be very low in the pecking order due to it's part-time status and simple lack of space to further subdivide the limited post-security area.

Thanks.

It didn't seem promising, but... it would have been nice.

We'll just hope that CBP gets things figured out a bit better in the next couple of weeks.

I guess going "late" is better?

We'll be on the NCL Sun, in a suite, but if we can't even reach the NCL area, then the suite status won't do us any good at all.

We should probably just wait for the rush to be over a bit - is it ever "over"?

Thanks again.

To clarify.... Is CBP short for "Canada Border Patrol"?

No.

It's apparently a "USA" problem, with the Customs and Border group who "pre-clear" those who will be visiting USA ports (and also those disembarking entirely in Alaska).

:mad:

That way, they don't need to clear passengers at each Alaskan port.

To clarify.... Is CBP short for "Canada Border Patrol"?

I thought you visited more than often enough to know that CBP is US Customs & Border Protection, vs. CBSA being Canada Border Services Agency (except in Quebec of course) xlxo.

geezerx2 - the queues do generally die down after 2pm-ish (although if they continue to under-staff as badly as they did on the first 3-shipper, that may no longer be true on other 3-ship days this season!) The only guarantee of a short queue is to be first in line - if taking less time to board is more important than sightseeing for half a day, show up at 10am when the Longshoremen should start taking luggage. You might have to wait half an hour or so before they actually start processing people, but you'll sail right through as soon as they do...

No.

It's apparently a "USA" problem, with the Customs and Border group who "pre-clear" those who will be visiting USA ports (and also those disembarking entirely in Alaska).

:mad:

That way, they don't need to clear passengers at each Alaskan port.

Well they wouldn't clear pax at each Alaskan port it would be at the first Alaskan port of call. With different itinineraries having different first ports of call in Alaska it would mean the CBP would have extra staff at each Alaskan port.....so it is obviously much more economical to do pre clearance at Canada Place and frankly this the same reason the CBP does preclearnces at various key airports in Canada as well as abroad and looking to add more airports to the list. Way back in the 60’s when I crewed to Alaska US Customs and Immigaration used to come out to the ship as we entered Alaskan waters and the Canadian officials did the same on the return. Each passenger and crew member had to parade infront of the customs officers with some form ID, passports weren't required in those days however we as crew had to show them our international sea men's card that did have our photo and thumb print on it.