Pools on Ships to Alaska

scheusc

I am a potential first-time cruiser (hopefully to Alaska this Aug or Sept possibly), therefore I have no idea if this is a stupid question! These big cruise ships have very big pools- are they just wasted space on cruises to Alaska since it is cold, or are they heated so people can actually use them? I would love to sit in a heated pool and watch the sites go by, but I don't know if I'm the only one. Thanks!

I am a potential first-time cruiser (hopefully to Alaska this Aug or Sept possibly), therefore I have no idea if this is a stupid question! These big cruise ships have very big pools- are they just wasted space on cruises to Alaska since it is cold, or are they heated so people can actually use them? I would love to sit in a heated pool and watch the sites go by, but I don't know if I'm the only one. Thanks!

Alot will depend on the ship. On our last cruise, the pool was not heated but the weather was warm enough that people were swimming. The hot tubs around the pools are heated and alot of people enjoy sitting and relaxing in them.

Again, it depends on the ship design, but there was not much you could see sitting in the pool or hot tub. There were great views however on the decks around the pools.

The thought of sitting in a hot tub as the ice bergs float by would is very very cool! I can't wait for my cruise the first week of June! However, since I am ALWAYS cold I'll be the nut wrapped in a plaid blanket on the beach chair! :-)

We were on the Sapphire Princess on July 4th. You can tell the pools were definately used. The ship also has a retractable roof over one of he pools. It was used every day by someone as it was heated and has fresh water not salt water. Of course all of the hot tubs were busy every day.

IMG_3337.jpg.90715341adb3128b1b49d9882d72acf9.jpg

I've been over 20 Alaska cruises, and the pool usage has always been way down. IF a priority, then select a ship with a covered pool.

I laugh at myself, walking by those outdoor, heartly pool people, with me in my jacket, hat and gloves.

To my mind the Radiance of the Seas, with its retractable glass roofed solarium, and its heated pools and hot tubs, is ideal for an Alaska cruise and a great venue for viewing the spectacular Alaskan scenery. When we last sailed in Alaska, we were on the Dawn Princess which does not have a covered pool area. Over the period of the seven day cruise I only observed two hardy souls brave the waters of the outside pools. This year things will be different and some relaxing pool time is definitely part of our schedule.:)

Great advice, as I will also be doing my first cruise to Alaska and was also wondering about the pool use. I'm on the Sapphire Princess May 30-June 6 and I will be one of the crazy people swimming even if it is cold! I'm glad I found this thread, would have hated to bring a swim suit and not be able to use it ;)

We were on the Golden Princess in June, and it was COLD outside (and we had wonderful, sunny weather). There were a few people in the hot-tub, but the pool was closed. Because you are on the ship for so many hours, Princess sets up an area (in the pool area) for Ceramics at Sea. Although this is something that we (we travel with friends) would not usually do on a cruise, it was a "activity", and we had a lot of laughs doing the ceramics (but we were even cold sitting there):rolleyes:

On the Millenium there was a heated indoor pool and hot tubs for adults only. Then an outdoor pool and hot tubs for anyone. While it was very warm when we were there, the outdoor pool was still too chilly for most. So, DH and I headed to the indoor one and it was lovely.

I was wondering the same thing about pools in Alaska. We are booked on the Rotterdam at the end of May.

If I were you, on the Rotterdam, I would be sure to book the Thermal Suite package for the duration of the cruise. They only sell a certain amount of packages, so get there early. But, this way you can sit in the warm inclosed hot tub at the bow of the ship on the Lido deck. PERFECTION ;)

Archived