Recommendations for inexpensive underwater camera

Beeslilmama

The Olympus Tough TG series waterproof cameras are rated among the top.

This is the one im going to get before our cruise in April.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKV5E4Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IO4O4JOB29CH&coliid=I2ALODT2WNIFAG&psc=1

I'm a hobbyist photographer and shoot with a nice Nikon DSLR and camera so quality and picture quality that it takes it VERY important to me. I sell some of my photography work online on Etsy. But I did a lot of research on waterproof cameras and read reviews and tests and everyone of them Olympus came out on top every time.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6000322829/olympus-tough-tg-4-review

Dp review is a great place to read tests and reviews on most cameras out there.

If the TG-4 is too much then this one is a top pick also.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-860-Waterproof-Digital-Camera/dp/B00S86KZZS/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448414964&sr=1-3&refinements=p_49%3AOlympus%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A10705328011

Buy a waterproof sleeve for your iPhone

This would assume that I had an iPhone. I don't nor do I want one. I'm team Android, lol.

I really don't need a expensive camera as after this particular cruise I don't know when the next one will be. I'd like something I can shoot with underwater but can take pictures on the beach as well. Just want to be able to capture some fishies on my snorkeling. I'm not doing an excursion and my trip are few and far between. But we are doing a horseback ride and swim so I can't use my regular camera.

Funds are slight and I'd really like to keep it around the $150 mark. Recently got a new job with a good salary but have been living frugally for the past five years and it's hard to part with those ways!

This would assume that I had an iPhone. I don't nor do I want one. I'm team Android, lol.

I really don't need a expensive camera as after this particular cruise I don't know when the next one will be. I'd like something I can shoot with underwater but can take pictures on the beach as well. Just want to be able to capture some fishies on my snorkeling. I'm not doing an excursion and my trip are few and far between. But we are doing a horseback ride and swim so I can't use my regular camera.

Funds are slight and I'd really like to keep it around the $150 mark. Recently got a new job with a good salary but have been living frugally for the past five years and it's hard to part with those ways!

I've been watching prices of the Olympus Tough TG-860 Jeepenfun linked in his post as a less-expensive TG option, and currently (Thanksgiving Eve) it's at the lowest price I've seen, $199.99. If you're willing to stretch the budget a bit and can buy it now (I wouldn't anticipate this price will last beyond Black Friday) it might be worth considering! I don't own this camera but would consider it at the right price and if I were planning to take underwater photos. Currently the most "element exposure" I'd foresee for my camera is sand from the beach, rain from the sky and a splash from a stingray swim. The sample photos I've seen online taken with the TG-860 look really nice, IMO.

Just to give you an idea of the price range, prior to Thanksgiving Eve, the TG-860 sold by Amazon had dropped from $249.99 to $229.99.

As for the $150 range, the Fuji Finepix xp80 has dropped to ~$160 for pre-Black Friday, and it seems to be a popular "basic" waterproof model. I don't own this camera either.

ps - I'm team Android too, at least for personal phones.

I've been watching prices of the Olympus Tough TG-860 Jeepenfun linked in his post as a less-expensive TG option, and currently (Thanksgiving Eve) it's at the lowest price I've seen, $199.99. If you're willing to stretch the budget a bit and can buy it now (I wouldn't anticipate this price will last beyond Black Friday) it might be worth considering! I don't own this camera but would consider it at the right price and if I were planning to take underwater photos. Currently the most "element exposure" I'd foresee for my camera is sand from the beach, rain from the sky and a splash from a stingray swim. The sample photos I've seen online taken with the TG-860 look really nice, IMO.

Just to give you an idea of the price range, prior to Thanksgiving Eve, the TG-860 sold by Amazon had dropped from $249.99 to $229.99.

As for the $150 range, the Fuji Finepix xp80 has dropped to ~$160 for pre-Black Friday, and it seems to be a popular "basic" waterproof model. I don't own this camera either.

ps - I'm team Android too, at least for personal phones.

I was just going to come on here and let original poster that the TG-860 is on sale right now for $199.99. GRAB IT if you can. thats a heck of a price. I just ordered the TG-4 cause the price of it went from $349 down to $299.99

And just to let you know these waterproof cameras are not just for underwater photography. they are an all purpose camera and take great shots for all situations. portraits, landscape, sports.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S86KZZS?dpID=41nczAbct2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=CYNVV1WJBKATN5Z1QYFB&ref_=pd_lutyp_simh_2_2

• 2 weeks later...
Buy a waterproof sleeve for your iPhone

Hi Chipmaster,

I was debating whether to get an underwater camera or a waterproof sleeve for my phone. Can you recommend a sleeve?

I have a Nikon D5100, but I think all of our excursion are going to be beach related and I am worried about bringing it and leaving it on the beach to get stolen.

• 4 weeks later...
Jeepen fun, I'm trying to decide between the Olympus TG-860 and the Fuji Finepix xp80. Any thoughts?

I am debating the same thing...anybody have any feedback? We have a great regular camera, but don't want to miss the opportunity to take some underwater pictures on our cruise. I don't know that we'll have much use for it outside of our excursions on this cruise.

I picked up the XP70 inexpensively. I have not had the chance yet to take it underwater but I am impressed with it otherwise. SOOOOO many different options on it, I have yet to try all of them out. I had planned to take it and another camera with me, but I am now debating taking it solely. I am finding I don't think I am going to need the other camera.

I use Nikon AW120. The AW130 is out now. Pics and video capable and WiFi so you can beam your pics/videos back in your cabin to you phone, tablet or laptop if those devices are WiFi equiped.

If you get a 'waterproof' case/bag from Amazon or the like, check out the negative ratings. They are fewer in number but do you want to have water mess up your iphone? I am not sure, but water damage may be one of those issues not covered by you phone warranty.

The Nikon has a back screen so you can see the pic/video you are taking in the water or not. Records sound too. Also has zoom and flash.

AW 130 now $280 online

I also have GoPro 4 Silver for time lapse and night video. No zoom , no flash on this and the GoPro app to WiFi pics/videos can be a pain. Plenty of accessories to break your buget but some nice ones like telescoping pole with a float feature and hidden insert in it to pack in some paper money etc. Cost about $340.

Get extra batteries with whatever you get. A spare charger to bring on the trip so if you loose it on the trip, you have one back at home.

On a cruise, i dropped my AW when getting on a small excursion boat. The guide asked me if it was waterproff, i said yes, and he took his shirt off and jumped in! Up and back down he went and found it on the 2nd try! He said good thing it was Red (AW comes in yellow and black) as he said the red stood out in the shore rocks at 30'. He got a nice cash tip of course!

After that, i got float devices for all my undewater cameras.

So, good luck on your choice.

Or you can be like nutty me with a large DSLR, Nikon AW , AND a Go Pro on a cruise!

Edited by FireStation46

Jeepen fun, I'm trying to decide between the Olympus TG-860 and the Fuji Finepix xp80. Any thoughts?

Sorry its a month later, i didnt see this post till just now.

But I would always suggest an Olympus. every review i've read, Olympus always comes out on top with image quality and camera build quality.

Speaking of float device to tie to a camera so it floats if dropped, I need to find one for my Olympus TG-4 but I want one that just makes it float and isn't to much buoyant and I struggle to dive with it underwater when snorkeling.

Or you can be like nutty me with a large DSLR, Nikon AW , AND a Go Pro on a cruise!

I'll be one of those too. Im taking my Nikon D5200 DSLR and lenses, Olympus TG-4 waterproof camera and an LG G4 cell phone. Anyone thats seen the commercials for the G4 knows its got an amazing camera on it with nearly full manual controls and shoots in RAW.

Nikon DSLR for places I'll be with the camera all the time.

Olympus TG-4 for water excursions

LG G4 cell phone camera for places i dont want to carry around my Nikon all day and something I can easily fit in my pocket and I have a lifeproof/waterproof case to store it in for water excursions too.

Edited by Jeepenfun

Speaking of float device to tie to a camera so it floats if dropped, I need to find one for my Olympus TG-4 but I want one that just makes it float and isn't to much buoyant and I struggle to dive with it underwater when snorkeling.

Check out your option on Amazon or B&H

Enjoy!

I am debating the same thing...anybody have any feedback? We have a great regular camera, but don't want to miss the opportunity to take some underwater pictures on our cruise. I don't know that we'll have much use for it outside of our excursions on this cruise.

I have the 80 and my wife has the TG 3. Both are super cameras. She uses hers as her everyday walking around camera forgetting the 60d and L series glass she got for our anniversary.

The Olympus feels better, the battery lasts longer, although both chew up the battery with much use of the display during review time.

So candidly it's a toss up. When snorkeling I think the Fuji is easier to see and use.

I'd be curious what others say as well.

I'd previously owned a pentax Wg-2 and loved it, I did order the Olympus but took a few shots and realized the lens is in the upper left corner, had edge of my finger in half of the shots I took. I returned it and bought the update to my camera, ricoh wg-30w, lens is in the center so little chance of fingers in the pics and it has wifi also. I guess familiarity won out for me, controls, shooting modes, editing, etc same as what I had. Got a great deal on a packet with extra sd card, battery, case, floating strap, mini tripod, lens cleaning kit, etc for $199.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and happy shooting everyone! I'm a week away from testing it out on my western Caribbean cruise with snorkel trips in Cozumel and Roatan and possibly (depending on the depth we'll be diving to) my Discover Scuba in Costa Maya.

Just saw this post for the 1st time tonight....

Inexpensive? In may I bought a camera in Walmart that has sound, video and will take photos in up to 10 feet of water. Takes a micro SD card. Not rechargeable - takes 2 AAA batteries but it wasn't hard on them.

I paid $44.99 or 49.99 in Bangor, ME (and $9.99 more for the SD card). I figured at that price if it only lasted me one trip then that's fine (or if it got stolen, etc). I bought one for myself and one for my friend that was travelling with me - came in a couple of different colours.

Never did get it into the ocean (ended up with a very sore ankle - made it to the beach but couldn't stand in the water without crutches) but other photos I took turned out fine for me..... it's supposed to be sand and water proof.... so no worries about being at beach, etc.

If you're interested in the brand/model, just add on to this post and I'll go "unpack" it and get the information for you - I don't mind doing that if you want to know.

Inexpensive? In may I bought a camera in Walmart that has sound, video and will take photos in up to 10 feet of water. Takes a micro SD card. Not rechargeable - takes 2 AAA batteries but it wasn't hard on them.

I paid $44.99 or 49.99 in Bangor, ME (and $9.99 more for the SD card).

If you're interested in the brand/model, just add on to this post and I'll go "unpack" it and get the information for you - I don't mind doing that if you want to know.

No rush, but when you do get a chance, I would like to know! I want to buy an underwater camera before my next cruise, in June. I figure it's best to start shopping early, because last minute shopping leaves you stuck with what you find. And we know that what you can find then is rarely the best deal! LOL