CP Filter - Your Experience Would Be Appreciated

shootr

Ol' Shootr is getting his Hawaii camera kit in order (yes, 2 months early :)) and am seriously considering a 72mm CP for the 18-105 F4 Sony G lens.

I've been shooting filter-free since getting the Sony A6000, but I'm planning on doing a photography tour in Kauai (all outdoors) as well as hiking, etc. - lot's of outdoor opportunities.

I think I have it narrowed down to these two CP's:

Hoya "HRT" http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Circular-Polarizer-Multi-Coated-Filter/dp/B00344P55Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452468762&sr=8-1&keywords=72mm+hrt+circular+polarizer

Or Hoya PRO 1 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KZ5YJ2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21C990QF49HJ6&coliid=I2WYWJXVT7E0KE

I like that the HRT lets through more light and may make removing it less critical until dusk/dawn.

I also like that the PRO1 seems to deepen the blues more...

I will have a tripod, but just want that for sunrise/sunset stuff at my leisure. When out and about I'm taking the camera, the 18-105, maybe a monopod, and that's it.

Anyone have a preference or other filter they like for a particular reason?

My budget is $50-$80 max.

Thanks!

Hoya, its what I use. Makes for deep blue skies, rich color in landscapes and does the best job at cutting un-wanted glare and reflection off water when you want too.

Couple that with a graduated Neutral gray filter for sunsets, landscape shots with dark foreground and bright backgrounds it really balances out the exposure of the shot nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004ZDB1/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IO4O4JOB29CH&coliid=I1L46TYD7VLVBQ

This filter i use a lot and love it and what i can do.

The 3 main filters I carry with me ALL the time is a CP filter, The graduated Neutral gray filter and a 3 filter set of ND filters (3.0-1000X, 1.8-64X and 0.4-4X) I use the 10 stop ND filter most of the time for waterfall shots. ND 10 stop is a must have if your going to Hawaii to photograph there MANY waterfalls.

Do you switch between landscape and portrait orientation a lot? If so, get in the habit of managing that filter well. I'd suggest a habit of always rotating the filter in the direction that'd tighten the threads, so you don't unscrew it by accident.

You may also want to buy a 77mm filter and a step-up ring so it'll fit on your 72mm filter threads. The filter will cost more because of the larger size, but you'll avoid having to buy a larger filter if you buy a lens that needs 77mm filters. 77mm is a fairly popular size across a lot of lenses, though 82mm is starting to gain in "popularity".

Also, if you like wearing sunglasses, I'd suggest you find a non-polarized set. Otherwise, the two (sunglasses, CP filter) may compete in such a way that you can't see "through" the lens or you at least can't tell the best alignment for the filter in certain scenarios.

Thank you all very, very much for your valuable observations.

So, browsing around eBay, I offered someone $10 for a Hoya HRT and they took it, so I have that coming. I'll have some time to play with it before deciding to pick up the "Moose" as well (both are under the budget).

Never knew that one even existed!

I've had CP's before, and am looking forward to playing with one again.

The ND - that's a tough one. I probably will, but the helicopter that will take us to Jurassic Falls won't allow tripods, and I don't think I'm going to want to lug it hiking either - but there might always be a rock or post to set it on too. (Hmmm, maybe one of those baby tripods...)

(Hmmm, maybe one of those baby tripods...)

Nobody says tripods have to be 6 ft. tall...

I carry one like this little guy on walkabouts that may include flowing water:

311femFaGyL._SX425_.jpg

Mine is a Giottos with a mini ballhead on it but looks and specs are identical. Supports my A6000 solidly (A77 too, actually).

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Nobody says tripods have to be 6 ft. tall...

I carry one like this little guy on walkabouts that may include flowing water:

311femFaGyL._SX425_.jpg

Mine is a Giottos with a mini ballhead on it but looks and specs are identical. Supports my A6000 solidly (A77 too, actually).

Dave

A similar one stays in my bag at all times.

The only alternate tha comes close is a small bean bag, but not as easy to get level.