Newbie Needs Help

Mylisa

Hi all. I was referred to this thread and told that ya'll are very knowledgeable and helpful.

First let me say that I know nothing about cameras.

We are going to the Galápagos Islands in 6 weeks and I want to capture and bring home all those wonderful pictures of the terrain and wildlife as memories.

My price range is $300 - $400.

I want a view finder and some sort of connectivity so I can download the pictures to the cloud or my iPad. I'd also like to be able to zoom in to get up close and personal with the wildlife without risking my life 😁.

I probably need something that is mostly automatic but will let me start to learn photography.

So basically a decent starter camera.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My first choice would be to double your price range and pick up an two-lens Sony A6000 kit but since you are unfamiliar with cameras, getting an interchangeable-lens camera would be a disservice to you with only six weeks to learn and practice.

My next choice would be a latest generation superzoom from Sony or Panasonic but both the HX400 and the FZ1000 are above your stated price range.

A very good alternative would be the last-generation FZ200 which is still available new and is an excellent long-zoom camera that is easy to learn and use.

There is a whole thread devoted to this model and it is very well regarded by it's users.

FZ200 Thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983&highlight=fz200

Enjoy your trip to yet another of my bucket list destinations!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Small pocket camera with good range Sony Hx90v with view finder.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSCHX90V-Digital-Camera-3-Inch/dp/B00VWJOK7M

Larger camera (with viewfinder) superzoom Canon Hx90v

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSCHX90V-Digital-Camera-3-Inch/dp/B00VWJOK7M

I have both, for small carry around up to 750mm Sony Hx90v

more zoom go with Canon Hx90v

To me both take excellent pictures and good for wildlife photography.

Can also go to preview.com and see how owners rate these cameras.

Enjoy

Tom :cool:

My first choice would be to double your price range and pick up an two-lens Sony A6000 kit but since you are unfamiliar with cameras, getting an interchangeable-lens camera would be a disservice to you with only six weeks to learn and practice.

My next choice would be a latest generation superzoom from Sony or Panasonic but both the HX400 and the FZ1000 are above your stated price range.

A very good alternative would be the last-generation FZ200 which is still available new and is an excellent long-zoom camera that is easy to learn and use.

There is a whole thread devoted to this model and it is very well regarded by it's users.

FZ200 Thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983&highlight=fz200

Enjoy your trip to yet another of my bucket list destinations!

Dave

I like the reviews I read, thanks to you, on the camera. And the price is right for a beginner. A couple more questions please.

Do I need to buy extra memory cards, batteries and do you know how I download the pictures, i.e. Wifi, cord to computer, remove memory card and download?

I like the reviews I read, thanks to you, on the camera. And the price is right for a beginner. A couple more questions please.

Do I need to buy extra memory cards, batteries and do you know how I download the pictures, i.e. Wifi, cord to computer, remove memory card and download?

No WiFi as far as I know (never found much use for it on a camera).

Multiple memory cards are a must. If you take twice as much as you think you'll need, you may just barely have enough. At $20 for a decent 32GB memory card, there's no reason to skimp on them. If you are taking a laptop, it likely has a card reader (unless it's one of the new MacBook Air toys) and that's the easiest way to download. The USB cable will work too.

Recommended: Take several 8GB or 16GB cards - Download nightly if you take a computer - DO NOT ERASE OR FORMAT THE CARDS UNTIL AFTER YOU ARE HOME - Change out the cards before they become full and keep them in the safe with your passport and such.

Uploading to the cloud is very dependent on your ship's internet service. Most ships can barely handle email and uploading gigabytes of photos could cost a fortune.

A couple extra batteries are another must. A digital camera with a dead battery is just an expensive necklace and is totally unsuitable for taking photos. I have used batteries from Wasabi Power if you don't want to spend the money on the Panasonic original.

Dave

I'll second the wasabi aftermarket battery for the FZ200. On amazon, it is about $28 for 2 batteries plus a charger compared to $45 for a single factory battery.

A man by the name of Graham Houghton has done quite a few youtube videos, a blog, and a book (paper and .pdf) all for the FZ200 camera. Some reading, watching, and practicing would quickly increase your skill with the camera.

I'll second the wasabi aftermarket battery for the FZ200. On amazon, it is about $28 for 2 batteries plus a charger compared to $45 for a single factory battery.

A man by the name of Graham Houghton has done quite a few youtube videos, a blog, and a book (paper and .pdf) all for the FZ200 camera. Some reading, watching, and practicing would quickly increase your skill with the camera.

I just bought the FZ200 on Amazon. The purchase included 2 memory cards and 2 batteries along with a bag and tripod.

I've also begun watching the graham Houghton videos which are very good.

Thanks to all for your expert advice.

I can't wait to get the camera and start practicing with it.

You can check out my sts on cameras but in the short version, dont skimo in good pics relative to what you paid for the cruise.

I use Nikon coolpix AW 120, the AW130 is out. You can wirelessly send your photos from the AW to you laptop, tablet, or iPhone etc.

There is a new AW 130 out. It cost~ $280

I also have the GoPro 4 Silver for its low light / time lapse capability.

Both can be used above and below the water to fit most snorkle/SCUBA folks unless you want to go deeper than 100 feet:eek:

Good luck woth you choice

• 4 months later...

Dave and the others gave you some really good advice, Glad you are listening and I hope you come back and share some pictures with us. Even though you have two cards that came with your camera, buy two more. They are cheap enough now and Dave's idea of keeping them as a back up until you are home is a great idea. Cards sometimes have a mind of their own and can just go corrupt for no obvious reason. A digital camera without cards is just as bad as a digital camera without batteries. We are head to to Alaska in about 4 weeks and I am taking 2 batteries, the charger and 4 8gb cards and one 32gb card.