What to do and see in Kusadasi without seeing Ephesus???

Hi Guys.

Going on another Med Cruise next year and have been to Ephesus before, and probably not wishing to see it again. This time instead of docking at Izmir we are stopping at Kusadasi.

Any tips of a great tour there or DIY??????

Cheers Bob & Chris.:):)

Absolutely,

it is a DYI town. The ship docks at the town.

Walk through the port area and and turn left, walk across the main street runs along the sea with great port views and explore the town, bazaar and cafes. There is also a small island with a walled fort you see next to the docking pier. I always wanted to go there too.

this port will make for a wonderful day at your leisure.

Hi Guys.

Going on another Med Cruise next year and have been to Ephesus before, and probably not wishing to see it again. This time instead of docking at Izmir we are stopping at Kusadasi.

Any tips of a great tour there or DIY??????

Cheers Bob & Chris.:):)

Hi there,

We docked at Kusadasi last October and decided not to visit Ephesus again. We visited Sirince instead and then just walked around Kusadasi. I wrote about it in my travel blog

http://pandbtraveladventures.blogspot.com

Click on the tab labeled as Oct 2nd on the left side of the blog

Have fun on your cruise

http://www.kusadasi.biz/info/guide/beaches

This, I found, was a very helpful site...keeping in mind that it is a none-too-thinly-veiled site selling tours, real estate and other services, but it does contain a lot of good info and pictures...check out the many categories for Kusudasi and area down the left-hand side of the page...the link is to the "beaches" page---many great beaches in the area.

Also, depending on your interests, you may consider renting a car (easy, good roads, driving is easy). Selcuk (20 mins drive) is a medium-sized city nearby...the Ephesus museum there is quite worthwhile, but was closed for renovations when we were there last (Dec '13)--it was scheduled to re-open in Sept '13, and hasn't yet, so check first if you may go.

The House of the Virgin Mary (where she purportedly lived out her later years) is close to Ephesus/Selcuk, as is the Cave of the Seven Sleepers and the Basilica of St. John (mostly ruins) where St. John (the Baptist, I think) is supposedly buried.

Of course, bargaining with the shopkeepers in the Bazaar could very well take up most of a day, if one is so inclined!

Whatever you do, enjoy your day!

If you enjoy ruins but have seen Ephesus, another option is a private tour to see some of the other great ruins in the area.

Most private tours offer a full-day tour of Priene (ancient Greek city situated in a very picturesque setting atop a hill), Miletus (spectacular amphitheatre and some other Roman ruins), and Didyma (site of a huge Temple of Apollo that gives you an idea of the size and grandeur of the Temple of Artemis that has all but disappeared and was a wonder of the ancient world.)

I can highly recommend this tour, having taken it a few years ago -- and I will likely take it again next time I'm in Ephesus, in the fall.

As others have said, Kusadasi is a pretty nice town to simply explore on your feet. Another option, which is what we did on our 4th visit to Kusadasi, is to simply rent a car for the day. There are several major rental car dealers (Avis, Europcar, etc) within a few minutes walk of the cruise pier. We had an overnight at Kusadasi so decided to do a lot of driving (could have done it all in a single port day). In the morning we drove to the city of Tire because we wanted to visit their weekly market (we just happened to be in port on the right day). Tire is a throw back to a different era and a very conservative Muslim city with nearly all the women covered...and the men sitting around in coffee shops.

After Tire we made a quick stop at Sirence and then drove all the way to Didyma, Pirene and Miletus (three ruins). All 3 of these ruins are fascinating, but we were surprised to see some major changes since our first visit to these places nearly 20 years ago. They used to be just sitting there in the open with no gates, caretakers, etc. But now, all 3 sites are staffed and work has been done (such as signs) to turn them into tourist destinations.

Hank

After Tire we made a quick stop at Sirence and then drove all the way to Didyma, Pirene and Miletus (three ruins). All 3 of these ruins are fascinating, but we were surprised to see some major changes since our first visit to these places nearly 20 years ago. They used to be just sitting there in the open with no gates, caretakers, etc. But now, all 3 sites are staffed and work has been done (such as signs) to turn them into tourist destinations.

Hank

I suppose they couldn't stay undiscovered forever. When I went a few years back, I was the only person (plus my guide) at Priene, and there was only one other person wandering around at Didyma. We did see a small German tour group briefly at Miletus. :p

I suppose they couldn't stay undiscovered forever. When I went a few years back, I was the only person (plus my guide) at Priene, and there was only one other person wandering around at Didyma. We did see a small German tour group briefly at Miletus. :p

Almost exactly our experience (years ago) and you would be shocked by the change. Hard to remember which is which, but now we are talking about an admission charge at one or 2 of the sites, a restaurant at one of the sites, etc. We were actually pleased to see that they now seem to be making an effort to protect those sites. On our most recent trip it was the first time I had done my own driving in Turkey and that was also a shock. The roads were excellent, signs good, places to stop along the road if you wanted gas or a snack, and we really felt comfortable driving. Like most other places, it is helpful to have a GPS (we have our own) but driving in Turkey was actually a lot less stressful then when we drive in Italy :)

I would also add that even on this more recent trip the sites were pretty empty. We did notice a couple of tour groups (none from our ship) but nothing that made any of these places crowded. We have long been amazed that these sites are not promoted more by the tourist agencies and cruise ships.

Hank

So, for someone who has never been to Ephesus before.....any suggestions on what Not to miss?? we are setting up a full day private tour for about 8 of us - Darius tour recommended - Ephesus ancient city, Roman Terraced Houses, Artemis Temple, & Isabey Mosque & Bath – Is anything else there better? Thanks for any help!

So, for someone who has never been to Ephesus before.....any suggestions on what Not to miss?? we are setting up a full day private tour for about 8 of us - Darius tour recommended - Ephesus ancient city, Roman Terraced Houses, Artemis Temple, & Isabey Mosque & Bath – Is anything else there better? Thanks for any help!

Nope. Sounds like your tour company has most of the best local spots covered...and this is close to what we would recommend for a first-visit. When some folks, like moi, talk about certain other options (like Didyma) we are primarily speaking to other options for those who have already been to Kusadasi a few times.

We continue to recommend that first time visitors book small group private excursions (there are many excellent tour companies in Kusadasi) that include, at a minimum, a visit to Ephesus (including visiting the Terrace Houses). Once you have had enough time to see Ephesus (and the Terrace Houses) it becomes a matter of making choices and determining how long you want to spend on a tour. Keep in mind that Kusadasi has turned into a pretty nice city with an extensive shopping area within a very short walk from the cruise ship terminal. Kusadasi also has some very good eating options. We think its a shame to come to this port and spend every minute outside of the city touring various sites. So it is a good idea to allow at least a couple of hours to simply walk around town.

Once you have seen Ephesus and the Terrace Houses (these are located inside Ephesus, have an extra charge, and are sometimes not included in cruise ship excursions) everything else pales by comparison. Some like to go to the village of Sirence, which used to be a cute little village...but has now turned into a major tourist destination (unfortunately). There is also the Virgin Mary House which does interest many folks although there is very little real evidence to support that the Virgin Mary really lived at that exact location. Nearby Selcuk has a small museum that can pair well with visiting Ephesus....but many leave this place for a future visit to the area.. Most first visits do include stopping at the Temple of Artumus....which are truly some ruined ruins....but is worth a look.

Hank

Our visit to Ephesus had all of the places mentioned (except Mary's house which we did not wish to do) and also included a short visit to the town of Sirince. We had lunch (very non-touristy place up a hill in the village) and shopped the small stands which sold oils, pottery, liquors, etc. One funny story that added to our day was that while we were eating lunch, we heard music and singing. We realized that it was the local mosque we were hearing (our first exposure to a Muslim culture). We also visited a rug place near Temple of Artemis, a leather place and a pottery place. We were not forced into these visits, we told him that we would enjoy "peeking," as long as we could leave soon as we wanted to.

We also had our private guide take us to a local grocery store near the Izmir port where we purchased delicious baklava.

It was a perfect day and we enjoyed the variety of it all.

Wendy

• 2 months later...
Hi there,

We docked at Kusadasi last October and decided not to visit Ephesus again. We visited Sirince instead and then just walked around Kusadasi. I wrote about it in my travel blog

Have fun on your cruise

Thank you so much. I also took a look at your other port stops. you have wonderful pictures!

• 2 weeks later...
We went there a little while ago so this time are doing a trip to

Pammukale which looks interesting

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Pamukkale is a long way from Kusadasi. Most private tours won't take you there on a day-trip from port unless you have a really long day (e.g., more than 12 hours). Are you going as part of a ship-sponsored tour?

Hi there,

Have fun on your cruise

Loved your pictures and your suggestion. We are going this October and are looking for this same kind of alternative in Kusadasi since we've already visited Ephesus.

Could you tell me how long you stayed in Sirince and if Yucel just waited for you to return to port. What was the total time spent, round trip? Also, do you remember how much the cost was per person? Thank you so much for your wonderful pictues and information!

No it is not part of a ship tour we have booked a private tour he says it takes 2hours 10 minutes to get there and someone else on cruise critic said they did same trip and were back by 3.00 so I am not worried.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We will wait to hear your trip report. DW and I are quite adventurous and have even driven our own rental car in this part of Turkey (but not all the way to Pamukkale. It is about 120 miles from the port and some of it is on an excellent "E" road and part of it is on a slower road. You might make it in 2:10or it could easily be closer to 3:00. When we did that kind of driving we had the security of an overnight stay so did not have to be overly concerned about getting back to Kusadasi. My advice, if you do this, is to have a good "Plan B" which is how you will catch-up to your ship in case you do not get back on time.

One interesting statistic is about auto fatalities in Turkey. In the USA we have about 15 fatalities per every 100,000 vehicles. In Turkey they have nearly 98 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles which means their death rate on the roads is more then 6 times higher then in the USA. We were cognizant of this fact when we drove in Turkey, but are gamblers at heart :)

Hank

Loved your pictures and your suggestion. We are going this October and are looking for this same kind of alternative in Kusadasi since we've already visited Ephesus.

Could you tell me how long you stayed in Sirince and if Yucel just waited for you to return to port. What was the total time spent, round trip? Also, do you remember how much the cost was per person? Thank you so much for your wonderful pictues and information!

Thank you for the kind words.

We spent about 2.5 hrs in Sirince and Yucel actually walked around with us instead of waiting by the cab. On the way back we stopped at the Artemis Temple for about 10 minutes and he stopped the car whenever I requested it for good views,etc. All together we were gone for about 4.5 to 5 hours. The cab fare was 65 Euros and we were 4 people, but the taxi actually could hold 6.

Have fun whatever you do. Hope this helps!

Petra

Thank you for the kind words.

We spent about 2.5 hrs in Sirince and Yucel actually walked around with us instead of waiting by the cab. On the way back we stopped at the Artemis Temple for about 10 minutes and he stopped the car whenever I requested it for good views,etc. All together we were gone for about 4.5 to 5 hours. The cab fare was 65 Euros and we were 4 people, but the taxi actually could hold 6.

Have fun whatever you do. Hope this helps!

Petra

Thank you so much for your fast and informative reply. It is much appreciated. This is, most likely, exactly what we will do.

It's helpful people like you that make CC so great!:D

We were on a land (not cruise) trip last year and stayed in the town of Selcuk. The Temple of Artemis (there is only one pillar left) was just across the street. We very much enjoyed visiting St. John's Basilica (just a couple blocks away). It is a ruin, but quite substantial. Nice because you have full access with no barriers and it is on the edge of town with a nice view over the countryside looking toward the temple and Ephesus. Just a couple of blocks down from the Basilica is the downtown area. The museum there is well reviewed, but had been closed for some time for renovations while we were there. Maybe it is open again. The town is small and downtown is just a few blocks of shops and restaurants. But we had our best meals there. Dining in the town square under the ruins of a Roman aqueduct with storks on the world's best chicken kebabs and sea bass - wonderful. Also, the place next door has the best bread and baba ganoush. Half way down the hill from the Basilica going toward downtown (before crossing the main road) on the right was this small pottery shop. A delightful young woman runs a small shop where she makes and sells her own pottery. After all the over-priced tourist shops, it was so nice to meet and buy from the artist in her own place. We bought a lot from her. Next to the Basilica there is a mosque that I was told was nice, but we didn't have time to visit. In the end, Selcuk gave us one of our best mornings in Turkey.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I have been here several times. The cheapest and easiest way to get around would be hit a taxi. The prices are super cheap and worth it! U can choose what u want to, and the taxi drivers r very knowledgable about their history!!!! Worth the $$$ and very cheap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
If you enjoy ruins but have seen Ephesus, another option is a private tour to see some of the other great ruins in the area.

Most private tours offer a full-day tour of Priene (ancient Greek city situated in a very picturesque setting atop a hill), Miletus (spectacular amphitheatre and some other Roman ruins), and Didyma (site of a huge Temple of Apollo that gives you an idea of the size and grandeur of the Temple of Artemis that has all but disappeared and was a wonder of the ancient world.)

I can highly recommend this tour, having taken it a few years ago -- and I will likely take it again next time I'm in Ephesus, in the fall.

Hello Cruisemom42, if you are still checking this older thread, I would like to ask how difficult the climb is to Priene, Didyma, & Miletus. Would it compare to the climb down from the Terrace Houses, or the climb to the Acropolis?

We have done both but they were a once in a lifetime and we would not be able to make those climbs again. thank you so much for your help

Edited by more2sea