Top Chef

TheEmerson

So tonight I was watching Top Chef. The remaining five chefs have to take a cruise to Alaska. In this case it was on Celebrity. The show has a wide shot of Seattle harbor. In the back is the Celebrity, in the foreground is the stacks of a HAL ship. Lucky for me I have a DVR. I quickly hit pause, look at the dual stacks... It is the MS Amsterdam.

Only the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam have those side by side stacks and only one does the Alaska run.

From what I read, that episode was filmed on the Millenium out of Vancouver to Seward on July 29, 2012, and the contestants disembarked in Juneau on July 31. But filming was also done on the Infinity. I don't know those ships so am guessing the Infinity was sailing out of Seattle and they only did location shots in the harbor.

This whole series of Top Chef was filmed in the summer of 2012. It was based in Seattle, although some of the episodes, or at least part of them, were filmed elsewhere. There was much in the Seattle news about the process.

The husband of one of my friends is an extremely talented chef. He's been a finalist in the Top Chef tryouts several times. The reason he doesn't get picked? Their family life doesn't have enough "drama" (real or manufactured) for the producers' taste! They've told him that straight out.

A group of us keeps offering to claim to be "long-lost cousins" and create some drama. For some reason she keeps turning us down...:D

So tonight I was watching Top Chef. The remaining five chefs have to take a cruise to Alaska. In this case it was on Celebrity. The show has a wide shot of Seattle harbor. In the back is the Celebrity, in the foreground is the stacks of a HAL ship. Lucky for me I have a DVR. I quickly hit pause, look at the dual stacks... It is the MS Amsterdam.

Only the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam have those side by side stacks and only one does the Alaska run.

I saw the episode by chance, but my thought was it was too bad that HAL did not think to have them film on a HAL ship. Isn't HAL suppose to be known for its Food & Wine and culinary kitchen. This is what I mean by HAL being behind the times.

At least they are trying to do/add something with Dancing with the Stars...

The husband of one of my friends is an extremely talented chef. He's been a finalist in the Top Chef tryouts several times. The reason he doesn't get picked? Their family life doesn't have enough "drama" (real or manufactured) for the producers' taste! They've told him that straight out.

A group of us keeps offering to claim to be "long-lost cousins" and create some drama. For some reason she keeps turning us down...:D

Since when do they discuss peoples backgrounds. I guess I miss that part.

Btw, how long is the filming. Most people who are working cannot take that much of a leave of absence.

From what I read, that episode was filmed on the Millenium out of Vancouver to Seward on July 29, 2012, and the contestants disembarked in Juneau on July 31. But filming was also done on the Infinity. I don't know those ships so am guessing the Infinity was sailing out of Seattle and they only did location shots in the harbor.

It looked like Millennium, but they must have added Qsine when she went into dry dock last year. I noticed they gave the participants all nice balcony cabins.

Since when do they discuss peoples backgrounds. I guess I miss that part.

*snip*

Yeah, me too. I've only watched it once all the way through the season, but can't remember any drama... They were really civilized, at least compared to "Hell's Kitchen". ;)

I saw the episode by chance, but my thought was it was too bad that HAL did not think to have them film on a HAL ship. Isn't HAL suppose to be known for its Food & Wine and culinary kitchen. This is what I mean by HAL being behind the times.
With 'Top Chef the cruise' being on X in April, it makes sense that the show would also be taped on a X ship.

another quick look at a HAL ship on TV, this morning, on Kelly and Michael live,, the phone in contestant's photo showed him shooting hoops on a HAL ship,, he didn't say which one, but its still nice to see even a small section of one of our ships -- joani

Archived