New pier and Welcome Center being built at Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)

JimAOk1945

In case you haven't seen this yet, a new pier and Welcome Center is being built at Icy Strait Point. This is a wonderful port of call with a fairly "un-touristy" look that we really enjoyed.

You can read the full story at the link below.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6089

Happy cruising everyone. It's a great way to travel!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Love the place. We would sit on the patio of a little restaurant eating delicious halibut fish sandwiches and drinking ice cold Alaskan brews, looking out at the ship anchored nearby, listening to folks screaming as they descended the zip line, and watching a pair of orcas swimming around our cruise ship!

The old cannery is a fascinating place; the local artists are incredible! We also have taken great whale watching tours from Icy Strait Point and enjoyable walks along the shoreline.

Got something else to say to those who will apply. Dress in a suit, have an updated resume, arrive early for the interview, send a thankyou note to the person who interviewed you, following the interview and follow up calls to find out if anyone has seen your resume and application. That way the company will know you are seeking work.

While many will see this as an improvement...I see it as taking away the feeling you are arriving to somewhere special and not the usual tourist pier...The tendering is all part of that...much the same way I feel about RCI building a pier in Labadee.:(

While many will see this as an improvement...I see it as taking away the feeling you are arriving to somewhere special and not the usual tourist pier...The tendering is all part of that...much the same way I feel about RCI building a pier in Labadee.:(

I agree completely. Right now it is a very special port because it is comparatively unspoiled. As time goes by . . . :(