Millennium Visit to Gibraltar Cancelled at Last Minute

cruise425

Last night at dinner time, we were told that today's scheduled visit to Gibraltar was being cancelled, and that Cadiz, Spain, was being substituted. The story from the Captain was that the new Spanish government apparently has decided that non-European Union ships that visit Gibraltar will not be allowed to call in Spanish ports, and the cancellation was being made so as to not jeopardize Sunday's scheduled debarkation in Barcelona. If the Spanish government is making such a stupid threat, perhaps it's time Celebrity and other cruise lines found some ports other than those of Spain to visit.

Gib is a long-standing sore point with Spain. From time to time they make petty gestures. But IMO you have missed nothing by bypassing the Rock. I don't know anyone who has been impressed by Gibraltar

Hey Jings,

I just noticed you were from Endiburgh. My son will be there for two weeks this summer performing at the Fringe Festival. Watch out for him for me okay? I'll be on a cruise to Bermuda.

Take care.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;14;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Celebrity Zenith - NYC to Bermuda

Big Red Boat II – New York to Canada/New England, August 2000
Regal Empress – New York to Canada/New England, August 2001
Millennium – 10 Night Southern Caribbean, August 2002
Millennium – 13 Night Mediterranean, August 2003
Infinity – 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, April 2004
Zenith - 7 Night NYC to Bermuda, August 2004

Unfortunately what will probably happen is that Gibralter will be left high and dry. I haven't been to Gibralter but Spain is much more an important Port. I doubt the cruise lines will boycott Spain. I understand that Spain already has lost an appeal to the ECM about this but is enforceing a rule about coming directly from Gibralter. One of NCL ships made an emergency(unscheduled) stop in
Gibralter and then was refused entry to Spain. They then anchored in a France port and tendered to Spain. What a waste of energy.

The Spanish have been waging this "petty war" over Gib for years and years. I was in Spain in 1966, driving on to Gibralter - they searched the car, searched all our luggage, and acted in a very threatening manner toward us, just because we were going to Gib. Clearly things haven't changed a bit!

I agree that no one missed much, Gibralter is more about historical significance than about touring. It is interesting however, that the Spanish are still incensed about the issue and pursuing their petty punishments.

Susie

RCCL Viking Serenade '92 & '94; Celebrity Infinity Alaska 2002; Infinity Hawaii 2003; Mercury Mexico 2003
Next Up: Constellation - Baltic Cruise - May 22,2004
Infinity - SFO/Alaska - May 16, 2005

They did a vote on gibralter and 99% of the people voted against sharing soverignity with Spain. I guess Spain doesn't believe in such votes(would you have allowed the south to vote on slavery before the Civil war?). The reports are that Spain and the UK are discussing the issue.

Jings and others:

We visited Gibraltar in September 2003 and enjoyed our tour there very much. It was so very interesting and the apes were cute too.

Yes, we knew about all the petty problems between Spain & Gibraltar. Our bus driver was from Spain and the guide (Percy) from Gibraltar and they sure did not get along at all.

The tour was great though and I am so pleased that we did not miss it. Once is enough though.

What luck! Having been to Cadiz, I can tell you that you will love it. It's very charming. Be sure to make it to the market where they sell produce, meats and seafood. Wonderful. And keep an eye out for vendors with LIVE snails!!

Hope this continues until the fall Transatlantics!

Gale and George
Oregon

Cruisingchick:
Let me know your son's show. Our newspaper tries to cover as many of the 2000 productions as possible in our Festival Guide. Maybe we can get a critic along to it.

Bermuda or Edinburgh????
Decisions, decisions!

Yiks! We're leaving on the Galaxy Transatlantic tomorrow. We supposed to be in Gibraltar Monday, May 17th and Malaga, Spain on Tuesday, May 18th. Would Celebrity make every attempt to substitute another port in Spain or an overnight in Malaga if we skip Gibraltar? (I can dream that we'll get to Malaga a day early and then go to Barcelona instead on the way to Villefranche, France.) I know no one knows for sure, but I'd still be interested in your thoughts or comments.

Celebrity Galaxy Eastern Caribbean 3/25/2002 & 11/24/2003; Celebrity Galaxy Western Caribbean 11/22/2002 & 4/18/2003; Celebrity Millennium Mediterranean 9/8/2003

[This message was edited by jgrkld on 05-06-04 at 07:45 PM.]

Checked with Celebrity and Galaxy itinerary has changed!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri May 7 Baltimore, Maryland
Sat May 8 at sea
Sun May 9 at sea
Mon May 10 at sea
Tue May 11 at sea
Wed May 12 at sea
Thu May 13 Ponta Delgado, Azores
Fri May 14 at sea
Sat May 15 funchal (madeira), portugal
Sun May 16 at sea
Mon May 17 Gibraltar, United Kingdom
[B]Tue May 18 at sea
Wed May 19 Villefranche (Nice), France 8:00 am 10:00 pm
Thu May 20 Livorno, Italy 7:00 am 7:00 pm[/B]
Fri May 21 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Florence, here we come!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda

Constellation Transatlantic 9/2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] till back-to-back on Galaxy

Monarch of the Seas 1/2004, Infinity 10/2003, Constellation Transatlantic 4/2003, Sun Princess 8/2002, Millenium 3/2002, Summit 11/2001, Galaxy 6/2001, Sea Princess 11/2000, Splendor of the Seas 5/2000, Ryndam 1/2000, Zenith 12/1997, Crown Odyssey 8/1996, NCL Dreamward 8/1994, Sun Princess 1/1988, Costa Riviera 1986, Carnival Mardi Gras 1984, Sunward II 1979

Cadiz and Malaga tend to crop up together on itineraries...

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

Hey Jings,

Thanks so much. My son is performing with his High School, Stamford High. They are known as the Strawberry Hill Players. They are doing Sophocles' Antigone. I think I have the performance schedule somewhere. I'll try to dig it up.

I was thinking about coming over but my son said he didn't want me coming - teenagers. They never want their parents around. I'm starting to get apprehensive about letting him going over there. He's only 14. He's the youngest in the group.

Thanks again.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;14;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Jings,

Thanks. You'll be hearing from me. I have to try and find that list of performances.

We were at Gibraltar in 2001 on SeaDream and enjoyed it very much. The tour we took went to the top of the Rock and the Barbary Apes were great. They would jump onto the bus while it was moving and you might turn to look out the window and have an ape staring through the window only inches away. Michael's Cave was also quite interesting. They sometimes have live music performances inside the main vault, with fantastic acoustics. The dining and shopping area at Main (?) Street was also charming and enjoyable with a shop where you could watch them glass-blow beautiful vases and stemware. Gibraltar was one of the highlights of our cruise, and the Spanish/British mix of people and cultures was very interesting, too.

Archived