Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Clipper Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Default Clipper vx Windstar

Clipper vs Wind Star- any difference?

I peeked inside a Wind Star ship in Barbados and it looked like a really unique sailing experience could be had.

If you've sailed both, which would you recommend for a first timer?
Examiner.com
@OrlandoChris

Coming up:
Carnival Destiny 09-01-11
Allure of the Seas 10-09-11

Cruise Critic Reviews-
Freedom of the Seas
Ruby Princess
Celebrity Solstice
Carnival Destiny
Norwegian Pearl
Sovereign of the Seas
Celebrity Century
Majesty of the Seas
Queen Mary 2
Empress of the Seas

Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did a Windstar cruise....it was fine.....nothing fantastic.

However, we prefer the smaller ships.......and are going on the Clipper Odyssey in November.

I cannot compare, but Clipper is highly rated, and everything is included except for drinks......(of course, massage etc is not included, but all tours, etc.)

Old October 8th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have been on the WindStar and Clipper and enjoyed them both. The WindStar is geared more toward luxury; Cipper is a more educational experience. I have not liked the Wind Surf as well as the smaller Wind Star and Wind Spirit. The Odyssey is a step up from the Nantucket and Yorktown . The food on both lines is good. A woman on the Odyssey on the Great Barrier Reef told me she could not imagine a cruise without natualists and speakers. We read histories of the areas we are going to visit; it does make for a greater appreciation of our trip.
A cruise (or any trip) is so personal, it's hard to advise anyone what their choices could be. I read lots of brochures and general cruise books. Unfortunately. there are not many people on the Clipper board to give more opinions. They are a very good line we have enjoyed cruising with. We do have open minds and we are fairly flexible. There's always something to keep a trip from being perfect!
LindaKay

Old October 8th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaKay
We have been on the WindStar and Clipper and enjoyed them both. The WindStar is geared more toward luxury; Cipper is a more educational experience. I have not liked the Wind Surf as well as the smaller Wind Star and Wind Spirit. The Odyssey is a step up from the Nantucket and Yorktown . The food on both lines is good. A woman on the Odyssey on the Great Barrier Reef told me she could not imagine a cruise without natualists and speakers. We read histories of the areas we are going to visit; it does make for a greater appreciation of our trip.
A cruise (or any trip) is so personal, it's hard to advise anyone what their choices could be. I read lots of brochures and general cruise books. Unfortunately. there are not many people on the Clipper board to give more opinions. They are a very good line we have enjoyed cruising with. We do have open minds and we are fairly flexible. There's always something to keep a trip from being perfect!
LindaKay
Thanks so much for your comments. You're right; there's not a lot of input on this board.

If you would indulge me, what's the motion like on these ships? They look so enchanting and like such a REAL sailing experience.

Also, are there any particular tips you might give to a first timer? The smallest passenger ship I've sailed was Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas at 49,000 tons other than my dads little 25' sailboat when I was a kid.
Examiner.com
@OrlandoChris

Coming up:
Carnival Destiny 09-01-11
Allure of the Seas 10-09-11

Cruise Critic Reviews-
Freedom of the Seas
Ruby Princess
Celebrity Solstice
Carnival Destiny
Norwegian Pearl
Sovereign of the Seas
Celebrity Century
Majesty of the Seas
Queen Mary 2
Empress of the Seas

Old October 8th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

The WindStar ships have stabilizers; I don't believe the Clippers do. It depends on the conditions; Clippers would probably have more motion in open seas. We have never been seasick. WindStar has an active board for a small cruiseline. You might read that if you are interested in their cruises. The best sailing experience I have had is with Star Clippers which is sometimes confused with Clipper Cruises.. They do have the motion you would expect with a sailing ship.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Windstar vs Clipper

Keep in mind that a big difference is that Clipper uses American crew where Windstar uses an international crew.

Old February 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Avoid Clipper!

First of all, the Clipper Odyssey uses a foreign crew, not that it matters, but that ship is a piece of junk.

I cannot imagine how they ever get any business. Our cabin was so ugly and in such poor condition, that I could not believe it. They say they have a TV in the room, and yes it is sitting there but the only thing you get is a map with your location. The air conditioning did not work half the time. We set our cabin a 10C and it was still about 85F in there all the time.

There is no room service, and you have set times for meals........i.e. breakfast 7am to 8am........gee I thought I was on vacation.

I will be writing a very long review, but this trip had no value except to waste our time and money.

Windstar was quite nice. There is absolutely no comparison in them. Also, Windstar has a much younger crowd. Clipper seems to appeal to mosly elderly people.........we are not in that category.

Back to Clipper........they say it is an expedition type cruise. That is another joke.... some nature walks and zodiacs to and from the ports. If you want a real adventure, go on Celebrity in the Galapagos. You will not be disappointed at all.

Old February 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wrong Board for Clipper vs Windstar

It seems to me that this is the wrong board for the Clipper vs Windstar discussion. I think you are referring to Star Clippers, which is a sailing line (with wind sails). Windstar and Star Clippers both have sails. Clipper Cruise Line, however, is a motorized line, so you can't possibly compare the two. Entirely different products and therefore you would get the wrong information.

There is a board for Star Clippers.

Old January 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Cruiselover - I would like to hear your review of the

Clipper Odyssey. If you take it to another location please provide the link. I have been on small ships (loved the Santa Cruz in the Galapagos) and didn't expect a TV or room service. We were on a daily expedition. The cost ended up being around 12K for two and we did not purchase trip insuranvce (which we do now)

I did consider the Clipper last year for Alaska but ended up using HAL Veendam because it just seeme more comfortable for a US trip that only made 3 port stops etc. I couldn't justify the cost after the date (not flexible) I was interested in was Chartered by Tauck (the roundtrip from Juneau) and I recall several thousands more than if I took the trip on another date (my parents loved Tauck but there was no added benefit on this 7 day Alaska). Now, I saw a picture of the Ship and the room with two twin beds just looked poor for the price (not romantic) when I was traveling with my husband.

Old January 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clipper beds

If you wish, you may have the twin beds made into a queen. That is what I always do.

Old January 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clipper beds

If you wish, you may have the twin beds made into a queen. That is what I always do.

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Odyssey review

Jade13 - sorry for the double post - something went amiss. By the way, I don't think Cruiselover ever did a review because she got more or less blasted for her opinions. I don't think she had anyone agreeing with her.

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clipper Odyssey review

My husband and I took this ship on a trip up the Vietnam coast last Fall. I would not sail again on her, unless the itinerary were really compelling. Re cabin design problems, the safe is located literally on the floor! Drawers are only deep enough for 2 tee shirts. Dining room is brightly lit and not conducive to fine dining, which this ship does not offer. I actually lost several pounds on this cruise and my husband did not gain. Breakfast featured crioissants cut in half. Dinner items sounded great on the menu, tasted like nothing. To give you an idea of age group, magnifying glasses were on all the dining tables.

We had a balcony cabin. Balcony was literally the width of the chair legs!

Do not consider this ship if you want any shred of luxury.

Mpfund

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clipper Odyssey

I think perhaps you might have been happier in a regular cabin. There is more than enough drawer space and the safes are mounted in the built in closets about eye level. At least that is the way the cabins I have been in are configured.

Also, it is too bad you didn't enjoy your food. There is a posting under "Clipper - Saigon to Hanoi" in which a couple in their 40's must have been on the same cruise or a reverse and they thought the food was superb. They also commented what a fabulous trip with a wonderful itinerary.

It is nice to have these boards so everyone can give their own opinion.

Old February 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
10,000+ Club

Wow. I wonder if the Adventurer is totally different than the Odessey? I thought the Odessey was the top of the line for Clipper Cruise Line?

If we ever get to Antartica our only option is a smaller ship. we do not expect room service or a TV, or entertainment. However, we do like a nice clean cabin and nice dinning room and great lectures.

I didn't know the twins could be made into a queen" If you look at the pictures the twins seem to be in an L -shape and I thought not movable since since is not mentioned on the deck plans that I have seen on line.

Old February 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Adventurer

Hi, Jade - when you were talking about beds, it was in a post about the Odyssey. No, you cannot push the beds together on the Adventurer (don't know about the higher priced cabins). It is a very comfortable ship but very different than the Odyssey. The staff frequently move around between ships and some prefer the Adventurer as more of an "expedition" vessel.

Old February 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clipper

Hi again, Jade - I guess I should have added to the above post. As you can tell, I am a fan of the Clipper ships. In the past three years I have taken 3 cruises on each ship and have another on the Odyssey coming up next fall. If the service or anything else was not what I expected I certainly would not be paying the price. I am just a good customer who doesn't mind paying for the wonderful trips and service I experience. By the way, the Odyssey was just listed in Conde Nast Travel magazine as 20th out of 36 of the top small cruise ships in the world under 500 passengers.