Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old October 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Differences

Discovery Bay is not very touristy so most days hasstle free.

Coyaba and Shaw Park Gardens- Less crowded with a persoanl guide. Most visitors head to Dunn's River Falls.

Dunn's River Falls - If you go and wish to keep your sanity, exit the falls through the entrance not the Peddlers Path. They are beyond agressive and pretty scary some days.

Old November 7th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is a wonderful thread , thank you very much.

I think i will book Sunset Grande for the day on our upcoming cruise.

Is the market close by to walk for t shirts and souveneirs?
Navigator of the Seas............. December 2009
Oasis of the Seas.................... August 2010
Carnival Fantasy......................August 2011
Caribbean Princess........... December 2012
HAL Eurodam...................... November 2013

Old November 7th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

You can take a cab or walk from the pier to the Sunset Jamaica Grande. Exit the pier and turn left, straight shot to the resort. Turn right and head towards Margarittaville and Island Village. Across the street from the resort are shops for T-shirts and whats-not. Along the same side of the SJG, there is a craft market. I don't care for the pushiness so I use the shops.

Enjoy

Old November 7th, 2013, 01:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix9 View Post
This is a wonderful thread , thank you very much.

I think i will book Sunset Grande for the day on our upcoming cruise.

Is the market close by to walk for t shirts and souveneirs?
We loved Sunset Grande last year. Great place to spend the day and awesome opportunity to get some great pictures of the ship in port because it's right there in front of you when you're at the resort.

Old November 7th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you again.. i know... how pushy the market is so I will try thr shops.. i have been to the craft market before

Old November 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here is one of the reasons half the people go to Jamaica and have a good time and the other half hate it. In the culture, real people, there is no response as NO THANK YOU. It's no or thank you wish means yes. If you say no thank you , meaning no/yes, some will hear the no and move on, others the thank you, meaning yes and keep hassling you. It's best to simply say no or no I am good, meaning good without it and move on.

Do not hold anything. Holding something is a way of giving someone something but in your case expect to pay.

If you are offered herb, of course don't say no thank you, that's no/yes. Who knows if they got the no part or the thank you /yes part. Don't bother replying I don't do drugs, to many it's a herb that grows like weed. Simply reply you don't smoke, many won't expect you to start just to help them out. If you smoke be careful.

As for the men, ladies no matter what they look like, no teeth, no shirt, no shoes, they think they can make you happy. Any eye contact and a smile could be interpreted as an invitation to fun. Yeah you will be expected to pay for the fun . Sadly some do.

Asking, it's a gift. You could be asked for anything from money to your child.

This is Jamaica beyond excursions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Last edited by Blk_Amish; November 8th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.

Old November 8th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for your posts, your picture are lovely and very helpful.. I have been to the island many times.. Lots to enjoy but as you say many dislike it due to pushiness of peddlers..

great posting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Amish View Post
Here is one of the reasons half the people go to Jamaica and have a good time and the other half hate it. In the culture, real people, there is no response as NO THANK YOU. It's no or thank you wish means yes. If you say no thank you , meaning no/yes, some will hear the no and move on, others the thank you, meaning yes and keep hassling you. It's best to simply say no or no I am good, meaning good without it and move on.

Do not hold anything. Holding something is a way of giving someone something but in your case expect to pay.

If you are offered herb, of course don't say no thank you, that's no/yes. Who knows if they got the no part or the thank you /yes part. Don't bother replying I don't do drugs, to many it's a herb that grows like weed. Simply reply you don't smoke, many won't expect you to start just to help them out. If you smoke be careful.

As for the men, ladies no matter what they look like, no teeth, no shirt, no shoes, they think they can make you happy. Any eye contact and a smile could be interpreted as an invitation to fun. Yeah you will be expected to pay for the fun . Sadly some do.

Old November 8th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

The culture can be challenging and sometimes you are hit with so much of it so quickly. There is a huge language barrier with the dialect (patois) and the different accents.

Three days on the Carnival Magic sharing this so I decided to post it here.

Old November 8th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

YES , very true..
I have booked the sunset grande for our family in JA with resort for a day..

should be a great port day for us....

Quote:
The culture can be challenging and sometimes you are hit with so much of it so quickly. There is a huge language barrier with the dialect (patois) and the different accents.

Three days on the Carnival Magic sharing this so I decided to post it here.

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Great information, thanks for sharing. Sometimes it's the little idiosyncrasies that cause the most 'problems' when travelling.

We were considering Sunset Grande but will now be brining our 16 year old son and the cost seems a bit steep now. My next thought was ATVing, but those are only 2ish hours and I like to fill my day to the brim. Your post gave me some things to think about and a few things jumped out ...

Can you share the driving distances between some places, specifically Coyaba River Garden and Museum, Blue Hole and the route to Nine Miles that you described. Is all of this doable in one day via a private tour (obviously depends on how long we stay at the places)? Is Wilderness ATV anywhere on this route that we could add that on as well?

Thanks!
Bahamas - NCL Sky - May 2011 - Nassau, Freeport, Great Stirrup Cay
Western Carribean - Carnival Valor - November 2010 - Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, Grand Cayman
Western Carribean - Carnival Liberty - May 2008 - Costa Rica, Panama, Cozumel

Last edited by CDNJehn; December 31st, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Old December 31st, 2013, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ideas

First Nine Miles, give yourself time to experience that (no pun intended). Not sure where I mentioned the route but from Ocho Rios go through Fern Gully. In Fern Gully you have a few wood craving with very pointed 'parts'.

Through a small town on planet but different worlds of Ocho Rios

To Nine Miles where you DO have this:

, on Flickr

Another town (Brown's Town) more representative of a Jamaican community

by ,

Once you get out of Ocho Rios and heading towards Nine Miles the roads are like this, more or less.

by ,

You could stop off iN Runaway Bay back to Ocho Rios for a quick swim at a free beach. The locals are not the same in these areas. YES, you might be offered bud.

by , on Flickr

I will share about Ocho Rios

Last edited by Blk_Amish; December 31st, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

Old December 31st, 2013, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Jamaica Roads

Road to Ocho Rios

by ,

Road from Montego Bay

by ,

Road less traveled

by

Roads in towns

by , on Flickr

Road down the hill

Pay as you pass road crew

by ,

The roads are much improved especially between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. The others are as bad as they used to be. I prefer pictures to create a image.

Last edited by Blk_Amish; December 31st, 2013 at 05:34 PM.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNJehn View Post

Can you share the driving distances between some places, specifically Coyaba River Garden and Museum, Blue Hole and the route to Nine Miles that you described. Is all of this doable in one day via a private tour (obviously depends on how long we stay at the places)? Is Wilderness ATV anywhere on this route that we could add that on as well?

Thanks!
First I don't know about the ATV excursion but I am sure you could arrange with someone after the tour. I would highly recommend the Blue Hole and it's about 20-30 minutes from Coyaba. For a bit of budgeting I would go to Shaw Park Garden $10 (next to Coyaba $20) for the botanical Garden and Waterfall, head to the Blue Hole. These places are extremely beautiful and you want to give yourself time to take it all in.

Pauline

Last edited by Blk_Amish; January 2nd, 2014 at 04:30 PM.