Elevators working during muster drill?

People who take elevators who are perfectly capable of walking a few staircases make me insane (note: if you have a legitimate need for the elevator I am NOT talking to you, so save any flaming :)). People who truly need them (like my literally paralyzed from the shoulders down) husband should use them. Otherwise people, use the stairs if you're going a short distance. At our hockey arena, gads of people go up ONE frickin' flight in the elevators. It's 12 steps people, 12. It's like people don't even think about it. They just see an elevator and automatically take it. Makes me crazy.

From the RC website

Safety

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page s.gif

Q: What are the mustering procedures for passengers with disabilities? s.gif A: During the mustering process, trained crew with high visibility vests will be posted throughout the ship to assist guests with disabilities. In addition to posted personnel, specially trained crew teams are available to assist guests with special needs.

From the RC website

Safety

s.gif

Q: What are the mustering procedures for passengers with disabilities? s.gif A: During the mustering process, trained crew with high visibility vests will be posted throughout the ship to assist guests with disabilities. In addition to posted personnel, specially trained crew teams are available to assist guests with special needs.

Thank you!! That is very helpful.

It's like people don't even think

Yep, just like that!

I know you are doing a lot of planning ahead for your vacation; I have seen some of your threads. Just wanted to say I hope it all works out for you and that your planning pays off for your family so that everyone has a good time. Sounds like you work hard to take care of everyone. Enjoy.

During a behind the scenes tour I asked about it since my daughter was a part time wheelchair user at the time (she's better now, just badly sprained BOTH ankles at the same time).

Dpending on the condition of the ship the elevators could be in manual operation mode for people with mobility impairments. Staff could operate them with a key. This obviously would not apply if the ship was listing or something

If no elevators are available, there are devices that can be set up to allow users of wheelchairs tto be assisted down the stairs.

Failing that, each team at the staircases can team carry you down one flight of stairs and hand you off to the next team below who would take you down one more flight and so on.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I didn't think you were allowed to use the elevators during muster (not talking about those with disability)?

Muster drill is not quite the same as true mustering in an emergency. During the drill many arrive early. Sometimes a half hour or more. Others straggle in at the last second. During the drills the elevators usually operate.

If you need an elevator, try to avoid using the elevators for muster drill and have the crew assist you so you can learn what to do in a real emergency where elevators might not function.

You cannot use elevators during the muster drill (unless you plan on getting their super early) and waiting for the drill to officially begin.

When the muster drill is in progress there are crew members posted at each elevator bank directing you to stairs.

If you are in a wheelchair, or disabled, i.e. using a cane, walker, etc., they will allow you (and not your family members) to ride the elevator. They also explain in a real emergency this would not happen. Crew explained that wheelchair guests need to identify themselves to a crew member and they would receive personal attention.

In some instances we have seen wheelchair/disabled guests directed to a specific location, dining room, for example, and the procedures explained to them there.

From the RC website

Safety

s.gif

Thank you for posting this. I will have a rocker boot on and although I can do steps while holding onto a rail, it would be safer to take the elevator. I just don't like to bring attention to myself when I know there are people who need assistance much more than I.

Do elevators function during muster drills? My husband is 100% disabled and cannot walk at all. In a thread I read today several people mentioned the elevators being turned to off during the drills. And yes, I wonder too about what the heckola I would do during a real emergency....

No worries :) They will make sure yall get to where you need to be :) They will generally release yall a few minutes before its over so you arent ran over by the mass crowds too.

In a real emergency, you wouldnt have to do anything. The crew is well trained on how to get their disabled passengers to their muster station/lifeboat.

Im paraplegic myself. I have never worried one bit about being taken care of in case of emergency. :)

I am partially disabled and have difficulty walking and using stairs. I have done muster drill multiple times. The elevators are operational, however the crew will direct you yo use the stairs. If you explain that you are disabled and cannot, you are permitted to use the elevators. You are likely to be the only one in the elevator (they are not jammed with people).

I am partially disabled and have difficulty walking and using stairs. I have done muster drill multiple times. The elevators are operational, however the crew will direct you yo use the stairs. If you explain that you are disabled and cannot, you are permitted to use the elevators. You are likely to be the only one in the elevator (they are not jammed with people).

I am disabled with mobility problems and I am unable to use the stairs. We always go early to the muster drill using the elevator and don't have a problem. We usually wait for the crowd to disburse before we leave also.

Good luck to you and have a wonderful cruise.

Muster drill is not quite the same as true mustering in an emergency. During the drill many arrive early. Sometimes a half hour or more. Others straggle in at the last second. During the drills the elevators usually operate.

If you need an elevator, try to avoid using the elevators for muster drill and have the crew assist you so you can learn what to do in a real emergency where elevators might not function.

You cannot use elevators during the muster drill (unless you plan on getting their super early) and waiting for the drill to officially begin.

When the muster drill is in progress there are crew members posted at each elevator bank directing you to stairs.

If you are in a wheelchair, or disabled, i.e. using a cane, walker, etc., they will allow you (and not your family members) to ride the elevator. They also explain in a real emergency this would not happen. Crew explained that wheelchair guests need to identify themselves to a crew member and they would receive personal attention.

In some instances we have seen wheelchair/disabled guests directed to a specific location, dining room, for example, and the procedures explained to them there.

That's what I thought - we always were directed to the stairs and thankfully we are able....

On our recent Enchantment B2B crew were not allowing non disabled guests use of the elevators. They did allow DW who uses a cane and cannot use the stairs to use the elevator. They allowed me to go with her. Can't even imagine separating a caregiver from the mobility impaired person.

Also, we learned that handicapped persons must go to the muster station and remain there for the duration of the drill. They do allow an early release at the end of the drill but 30 seconds or less is comical. We usually just hang out on deck and wait until the mob clears up.

I have always been permitted to use the elevator for the drill and if the muster station is an area without seating I always speak to the person in charge with my station and explain that I need to sit. I have always been accommodated. If they cannot find me a seat then I am directed to a seating area with others. I just make sure that they record that I attended the drill.

On a recent cruise on Grandeur those with disabilities were allowed to use the elevators along with their caregivers. They were seated inside near their muster stations and their sea passes were scanned. Those without mobility issues were directed to the stairs and stood on the deck at their muster stations. There was no elevator crowding before the drill. The crew was very helpful and considerate.

Just let those conducting the drill know your needs and you will be fine.

Archived