Luxury cruising with relaxed dress-code

Honeyroastedmelnut

I know jeans stir a lot of debate on CC but I have a jeans related question. My DH loves jeans and he doesn't want to go on a cruise where he cannot wear them. Are there any luxury cruise lines that allow nice jeans to be worn after dark and occasionally in the MDR (not on Elegant nights :eek: )

I really like the idea of luxury cruising but I know I won't have a happy hubby if jeans are a no-go.

Hapag Lloyd's Europa allows jeans everywhere during the day but at night only in the buffet restaurant. I would have to ask during my next cruise whether they allow jeans (if with jacket) in the MDR at night.

Hapag Lloyd's Hanseatic and Bremen are quite informal and I saw several people wearing jeans at night. A lot of times not even with a jacket, just a nice shirt.

As far as I know none of the luxury lines allow jeans after 6PM. Perhaps if you dine outdoors at a patio grill where offered it's possible but not indoors. The closest I can think of is Oceania which allows jeans in their Terrace Cafe at night but Oceania is not a luxury line. Can you sway your DH to wear a pair of khakis? That would work.

Strongly agree with last post. Luxury cruise lines were quite formal until recently. It was rather difficult to convince the major luxury lines to relax their dress code (Silversea has not relaxed theirs and I doubt if they will) Apparently European cruise lines are less formal (quite surprising). This may be a good alternative. As mentioned, Oceania allows dress jeans .... another alternative.

• 1 month later...

Henry, it's been like that for several years now but just not widely known. You don't see many people in Jeans but you will on certain cruises.

Also, with the changes that Crystal made, Silversea is now the most formal of the luxury lines.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Don't know how I missed that, Keith. It's certainly that way on Seabourn though most men usually wear ties. It's amusing to me to see how some people are stuck in a time warp. As you said on the Crystal board there remain very few land restaurants where men are still required to wear ties. I recently had dinner at Le Cinq in Paris and wore a suit and tie but there were several men in jackets with open collars.

I am more than surprised...... shocked would be the appropriate word. If it were more known, a lot of luxury cruisers who would like to wear jeans to dinner would go to Crystal. I suspect that this would not make most Crystal cruisers very happy.

TC, I really think it is bad to generalize. Crystal cruisers are just people and very similar to the people who sail on other lines including Regent. Not sure if you know but there are about 30 people on board the ship some of whom have sailed Regent for many years. Like us, they are people. Some like dressing up, others do not. Yes for many years one could wear Jeans on resort casual nights in the dining room. Most do not but some do and like most things in life on every cruise line all of this varies by time of year and even length of cruise. When I say every cruise line it is that demographics often change by time of year and length of cruise.

As I've said while this always seems to be a topic of interest on Cruise Critic on just about all the lines boards whenever someone asks a question about dress code and then we get into peoples pet peeves (by the way used to be the same as smoking and still is on some board or should someone ask about bringing a child on board any of the luxury lines then we spend two weeks on that topic when these are all just innocent questions.

I rarely hear one word about dress when we sail. It's just not a big deal for most people and sure we all have our presences. Why? Because we are human.

And to the earlier post about options, I love options and think many people do too. And even if the evening attire was all casual with no sports jacket required, certainly if I want to wear one that would be fine on any cruise line. I do at home at a land based restaurant and I don't think anyone cares and I am sure they certainly don't care here.

Oh well, this is life on Cruise Critic.

But again people are people and on every cruise line and ship we have sailed there is always a very diverse set of people with different preferences and interests. Thank goodness and rememberer never good to generalize about people because with over 500,000 Crystal Society Members there is certainly lots of diversity.

Keith

Goodness..... all I said was that "suspect that......." Was not trying to state a fact. My "suspicion" is based on threads that I've read (on Crystal, Seabourn, Silvesea and Regent). It does "seem" that the majority of the people that post on this subject would prefer to see passengers on luxury lines dress up a bit -- as they are in a fine dining restaurant. Regent permits any type of slacks (except denim) and a short sleeved shirt. "Some" of us just draw the line at jeans.

Does the Crystal website indicate that jeans are permitted at dinner? Just curious.

• 2 months later...
Also, with the changes that Crystal made, Silversea is now the most formal of the luxury lines.

Keith

I think you are right, but I think Cunard is the most formal of all the cruise lines (and may be considered a partially-luxury line if you include the Grills-level accommodations).

I think SeaDream is the most casual of the luxury lines and may allow jeans.

flag fan, you are right about Cunard being likely the most formal.

I just returned from our first cruise with Cunard last week. We had a great time and were in the Queen's Grill. With that said, it is not a luxury line. The restaurant is but even the suite is not in terms of the amenities. Again, we had a great time but overall I would put it in the Premium Class although there are clearly some aspects of luxury as there are some aspects that are mass market oriented (e.g.., King's Court Buffet)

Keith

• 2 weeks later...