Westerdam is back early.

POA1

Sitting outside on eclipse watch duty and who should come steaming into Port Everglades at 1:40 am EDST, but the Westerdam.

No horn - because I know someone is going to ask. :)

5a3e2e3y.jpg

Great picture

Thank you for sharing the photo.

Thanks. The Westerdam is passing by Point of Americas II which sits at the southernmost point of Fort Lauderdale beach. The photo was taken by my phone. I didn't have my camera out on the balcony with me, only my binoculars and my phone.

I was waiting for the lunar eclipse to get into full swing when in came the Westerdam. (I get to do "astronomer duty" and then wake my wife once there is something to see.)

I am surprised that the photo turned out half decent, since it's (a) dark, and (b) a phone camera. If you have an Android phone, I highly recommend Camera Zoom FX. It's a $2.99 app, but it's well worth it.

Edited by POA1

You may have missed the eclipse, but you're probably much less tired than I am today. :)

We had some clouds roll in around 3:15 am just as the total eclipse was reaching its peak, but they blew over in about 10 minutes. We were very lucky. Looks like almost everywhere else had cloud cover. Here's a photo snapped by Fernando Rodriguez of the South Florida Amateur Astronomy Society.

ebuvagum.jpg

Edited by POA1

Thanks for the photos. (:DI imagine Westie was saving up all her tooting for her departure!)

You're very welcome. I often see the ships coming back to Port Everglades in the morning because I'm up. (Gentlemen over 40, you know what I mean.) ;) Waiting for the lunar eclipse was a rare occasion when I was dressed and outside on the balcony and I got a half decent shot of the Westerdam. BTW - The lights in the distance [right hand side of photo] are the Miami skyline.

The only time we get toots at night is when it's foggy. As you can imagine, the ocean views and passing ships kind of lose their charm when you hear horns all night. Fog down here is fairly rare, so it's not a frequent occurrence.