International Waters vs Alaska

SEAEDP

AFter discovering how expensive it is to connect to WiFi on the ship, I'm wondering if I will have trouble calling or texting home (Seattle) from the cruise ship (May 3 Alaska aboard the Westerdam).

I don't have an International calling or data plan on my phone. On the day at Sea until we get to Juneau, will we be sailing in International waters where there is no coverage for me?

will we be sailing in International waters where there is no coverage for me?
You don't need an international plan to use a cell phone from the ship. We've never used ours aboard, but I think the rate is $2.95/minute.

Hi!

I have a Tracfone with minimal coverage. It is locked in the safe in the room when we are at sea and it is not used. I have no problem using it in all Alaskan ports both on land and when we are docked. On sea days I can't use it. Cell phone service from the ship is very expensive and I don't mind being "disconnected" - some years it is rather refreshing!

Karen

You don't need an international plan to use a cell phone from the ship. We've never used ours aboard, but I think the rate is $2.95/minute.

Check with your carrier. On some wireless carriers, the cost is even higher. On T-Mobile, it can be up to $5.99/minute.