Caribbean - Carnival ship

beshears

I think the only place in the caribbean that we didn't really enjoy was Nassau. There were a bunch of ships in port that day and it was very crowded.

Otherwise we have enjoyed all of the islands. If you forced me to pick, I would pick, in no particular order...

Cozumel (Carnival Imagination and Carnival Valor) - Very easy to get around on your own and beautiful beaches.

Grand Cayman (Carnival Valor) - Stringray City was just amazing.

St. Thomas - (Carnival Breeze) Mainly because we love St. John

Dominica - Just a beautiful island and we spent a fantastic day with Levi Baron from Bumpiing Tours. I'm not sure if Carnival stops in Dominica, however.

I think the only place in the caribbean that we didn't really enjoy was Nassau. There were a bunch of ships in port that day and it was very crowded.

Otherwise we have enjoyed all of the islands. If you forced me to pick, I would pick, in no particular order...

Cozumel (Carnival Imagination and Carnival Valor) - Very easy to get around on your own and beautiful beaches.

Grand Cayman (Carnival Valor) - Stringray City was just amazing.

St. Thomas - (Carnival Breeze) Mainly because we love St. John

Dominica - Just a beautiful island and we spent a fantastic day with Levi Baron from Bumpiing Tours. I'm not sure if Carnival stops in Dominica, however.

Agree on Nassau, favorite for us Aruba also liked Curacao, Barbados, St Johns, and the ones you mentioned. Not a favorite was Jamaica.

Each island offers something different. For us, it's hard to pick an island that wasn't better than another one. It just depends on what you want to do. As for ships, we've always sailed on the Destiny, Triumph, Conquest class and once on the Dream class. We'd never do the Dream class again. Way too many people to suit us.

My ranking would look something like this:

1. Barbados (VALOR)

2. St. Kitts (VALOR)

3. St. Lucia (VALOR)

4. Key West (Imagination & Freedom)

5. Grand Cayman (Freedom)

6. Cozumel (Imagination)

7. Ocho Rios (Freedom)

8. San Juan (VALOR)

9. St. Maarten (VALOR)

10. St. Thomas (VALOR)

These are all the ports I have been too. Everyone always complains about Nassau being such a frequent stop, but I have never been there, so it must not be too hard to miss if you try!~ lol

Actually making this list was hard, becuase even the ones at the bottom I really really enjoyed. The forts in San Juan were awesome! I LOVED climbing Dunn's River Falls, St. Maarten had gorgeous water, and Megan's Bay had the calmest water I have ever seen at a beach.

So I would say the moral of the story is to try them all at least once! I cant wait to make it to Nassau, and Aruba, and Belize, and Grand Turk, and Curaco one day!

Edited by jwalk03

Favorite ports in order:

St. Marten: Maho beach (planes landing overhead are amazing), Shopping.

St. Thomas: Shopping, St. Johns, Sightseeing

Grand Caymen: Stingray City

Any of the Private Cruiseline Islands: For beachdays. Just don't eat the nasty lunch they provide onshore.

Barbados: Sightseeing, Shopping.

Aruba: Snorkling the wreck of the Antilla.

Grand Turk: Water sports, Snorkling etc.

Cozumel:Bars, Shopping.

Key West: Just walking around the town. Also they have a ship wreck museum/shop to buy recovered ships treasure. Kinda neat.

St. Lucia: Sightseeing

Port to avoid:

Any port in Jamaica.

Been on alot of ships so can't remember specifically which. Princess does a nice eastern out of FLL to St . Marten, St Thomas, Grand Turk (amazing water there) and Princess Cays.

All Cruiselines do a Western but some don't go to Jamaica and instead go to Costa Maya (so so port).

Some cruises I picked because of the port they leave from. We are going out of Port Canaveral next as I wanted to see the Space Center. Fort Lauderdale is a great city to explore for a few days ahead of time. We also tried New Orleans and although the city was not my favorite, the long cruise down the Mississippi was amazing, 7 hours or so. I would like to try Tampa next. Miami was ok but FLL was sooo much nicer.

in order mine would be

1. St Thomas / Beauty of the Island & beaches/ shopping is good here too

2. St John / Beaches

3. St Martin / Orient Beach area

4. Cozumel / easy to navigate, nice beaches, dozens small restaurants and bars

5. Grand Cayman / Stingray City

6. Ocho Rios / Dunns' River Falls, Rain Forest. but found locals very pushy

7. Key West, very clean, Sloppy Joe's and city tour

8. Grand Turk / Small island nice beach day awhile walking right off ship

9. Costa Maya / in town lazy beach day (pre hurricane a few years ago)

10. San Juan/ Old San Juan, may be different but has always been in port during evenings

11. Nassau, old market

10. Honduras

personally did not really care for Belize or Montego Bay Jamaica, Pushy people, didn't find mush interesting

I know I am going to get flamed for this but my favorite port is Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I love Dunn's River Falls. Our family just takes a taxi and plays in the falls without a guide. My next favorite port was Labadee, Haiti but that is a Royal Caribbean port.

The ports I like include

Cozumel

Grand Caymen

San Juan

St Thomas

Grand Turk

Any private island

Belize

The ports I do not like

Nassau

Freeport

I like them all for their uniqueness. There is a story for them all history wise.

We go off the grid and explore when we can. The diving/swimming, snorkeling can change a little in each location. The beautiful scenery at each location is a wonder in its own. We have also rented helo's for a birds eye view of some of the islands where we can.

I have been on 9 cruises, 7 of which have been Caribbean. Have seen the Eastern and Western side. Not so much the Southern yet, but am geared for it for 2015 (we have a 2014 Alaska cruise on the Miracle in August).

The 2015 hope is for the Sunshine out of Port Canaveral to Grand Turk (again) then to Aruba for the first time and Caracco (sp). Loved Grand Turk for the diving/snorkeling.

I do not remember all the ships, but the few I do were the Dream, Ecstasy, and the Legend. Did the Enchantment of the Seas (Royal Caribbean line) for a New England/Canada cruise in 2005 too.

Edited by FireEater

Thank you everyone for getting back with me, and a Happy New Year to you all. :)

You have given me a lot to "think" about. :) I did not mention, but we like the beach, but as yet, have not done any snorkling. We like to sight-see and check out the islands and their culture.

As for the ships, we're not too particular when eating. We have always found regular dining to be fine with us. We do like minature golf if the ship has it.

If you think of anything else to add to my question, please feel free to do so.

but folks, Nassau (and Freeport and the rest of the Bahamas) are not in the Caribbean, no matter how they are marketed...

They actually aren't marketed as islands in the Caribbean. People just lump them together, because it's a pretty island in the middle of an ocean like all the rest:). It still has relevance in responding to the OP, because of how often all the cruiselines go there. I suppose Carnival will continue going to Nassau since that's where their ships are registered but I'm so over it. Nassau is a nice port to visit once or twice and if it's not overcrowded with ships the day you port. But that's it. It hard to avoid an itinerary that doesn't include Nassau or Freeport.

I know I am going to get flamed for this but my favorite port is Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I love Dunn's River Falls. Our family just takes a taxi and plays in the falls without a guide. My next favorite port was Labadee, Haiti but that is a Royal Caribbean port.

The ports I like include

Cozumel

Grand Caymen

San Juan

St Thomas

Grand Turk

Any private island

Belize

The ports I do not like

Nassau

Freeport

No flames here. I had a great time in Ochos Rios. Signed up for a great tour that showed you the Island then took you to Dunns River Falls. I would say climbing the falls is a must if you dock in Jamaica. And there are other nice beach things to do in Ochos Rios as well.

Puerto Rico is easily the best destination in the Caribbean, BUT I would not sail there on a cruise ship. The few hours allotted on most cruise ship itineraries is ridiculously and insultingly short. You need MINUMUM a week there to even scratch the surface. History, mountains, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, out islands, world class resorts, restaurants, and shopping, the Old City, the rum factory, the rainforest, the caverns, the Observatory, Paradores, the Panoramic Route, the Bioluminescent Bay, and the West Coast fishing villages & surfing beaches are just a few things on a long "must do" list.

Taking Puerto Rico aside, St. Maarten is my favorite of the frequently visited Caribbean islands. The French-Dutch influence makes this island stand out from the others, and Maho Beach is a unique experience.

Off the beaten path, Virgin Gorda (accessible as a day trip from Tortola) as well as St. Barts (accessible on smaller cruise ships) are two of the most idyllic places in the Caribbean.

Edited by Tapi

My favorite is Grand Cayman (Carnival and Disney Magic). Haven't done an official excursion, just take a taxi to the beach and then wander around the downtown area.

I also very much enjoyed Aruba and Curacao.

St. Thomas is beautiful.

I left out of San Juan and enjoyed a few days before the cruise to explore.

Jamaica was actually fun - we went to a pineapple plantation and got to drive through a lot of the island.

I haven't done much in Cozumel yet.

I really disliked St. Maarten/St Martin.