canceling a cruise

slocam

I'm considering booking a cruise in May 2015 on the Disney Dream, but I'm concerned about flight prices (which aren't even listed yet). I've been keeping an eye on the costs for a date that we were considering in December 2014 and they have almost doubled in the last month.

How does cancellation work? Can I cancel 'just because' and get a refund or will there be fees? I'm not talking days before but rather months before departure if I can't arrange flights at a price I can handle.

I was planning to pay the deposit now, then pay it off much closer to the date.

I'm considering booking a cruise in May 2015 on the Disney Dream, but I'm concerned about flight prices (which aren't even listed yet). I've been keeping an eye on the costs for a date that we were considering in December 2014 and they have almost doubled in the last month.

How does cancellation work? Can I cancel 'just because' and get a refund or will there be fees? I'm not talking days before but rather months before departure if I can't arrange flights at a price I can handle.

Unless you've booked a Concierge room, if you cancel anytime prior to the Paid in Full date (generally 75 days out), you'll all your money back. Concierge loses the deposit (unless you transfer the reservation to another date).

Flight costs are going up due to a number of airlines joining together and leaving less competition.

How does cancellation work?

Just contact DCL.

Can I cancel 'just because' and get a refund or will there be fees?

Up to your paid in full date yes. And no fees will be charged, after that a scale of fees cuts in, this excludes suite bookings.

I'm not talking days before but rather months before departure if I can't arrange flights at a price I can handle.

If you cancel before 120 days then on all cruises you will be safe.

Above.

Sent from my iPad.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/terms-and-conditions/?country=us

It's actually listed when you make a reservation and requires a checkmark that says you read them and agree. :)

And when you book, it will give you the date that the balance is due (paid in full date). It is much earlier for cruises that do not originate in the US or cruises longer than 10 days.

I spoke to Disney. Unless the concierge cabin is booked on a restricted fare, you can in fact cancel the room and receive a refund of deposit.

Unless you've booked a Concierge room, if you cancel anytime prior to the Paid in Full date (generally 75 days out), you'll all your money back. Concierge loses the deposit (unless you transfer the reservation to another date).

I spoke to Disney. Unless the concierge cabin is booked on a restricted fare, you can in fact cancel the room and receive a refund of deposit.

That goes against the Terms & Conditions that I find on the DCL website:

Days prior to Vacation Commencement Date/Fee Amount (how much the passenger must forfeit)

45 days or more out from cruise /Deposit per Guest for Suites/Concierge staterooms

74-45 days out from cruise/Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge staterooms

44-30 days out from cruise/50% of vacation price per Guest

29-15 days out from cruise/75% of vacation price per Guest

14 days or less/100% of vacation price per Guest

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/terms-and-conditions/?country=us

This says that starting at 74 days out from the cruise date anyone cancelling a Concierge room will be charged a fee amounting to the cost of the deposit.

This is not DCL's written policy. I'm aware that you can change a date of a cruise booked in concierge, but not get a refund.

You were misinformed. The cruise contract which you must agree to when booking says otherwise (copy and pasted from my actual booking, I bolded concierge fee info):

Cruise Cancellation Fees:

CATEGORIES WITH RESTRICTIONS: Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions are NONREFUNDABLE and NONTRANSFERABLE. A 100% cruise cancellation fee applies from time of payment.

Cruises Less Than 10 days where Embark or Debark is U.S. Port

Days prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount

45 days or more Deposit per Guest for Suites/Concierge staterooms

74-45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge staterooms

44-30 days 50% of vacation price per Guest

29-15 days 75% of vacation price per Guest

14 days or less 100% of vacation price per Guest

Cruises of 10 days or More and Cruises Less Than 10 days where Embark and Debark is non-U.S. Port

Days prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount

56 days or more Deposit per Guest for Suites/Concierge staterooms

119-56 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge rooms

55-30 days 50% of vacation price per Guest

29-15 days 75% of vacation price per Guest

14 days or less 100% of vacation price per Guest

Sorry, I mean outside the normal final payment dates.

There has been a thread going around that you cannot cancel a concierge/suite once booked at ALL without losing your deposit and that's what I was speaking to.

You were misinformed. The cruise contract which you must agree to when booking says otherwise (copy and pasted from my actual booking, I bolded concierge fee info):

Sorry, I mean outside the normal final payment dates.

There has been a thread going around that you cannot cancel a concierge/suite once booked at ALL without losing your deposit and that's what I was speaking to.

Yes, the concierge deposit I'd non-refindable even before the PIF date. It can be transferred prior, but not refunded.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

That's not what the Disney person said, but reading the above, that seems to be the printed policy. Kind of an odd policy, I guess due to demand or perks.

Yes, the concierge deposit I'd non-refindable even before the PIF date. It can be transferred prior, but not refunded.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Also, when you make a concierge reservation this shows up on the reservation:

2mwbbbk.jpg

That's not what the Disney person said, but reading the above, that seems to be the printed policy. Kind of an odd policy, I guess due to demand or perks.

Looks like another example of the person on the phone not knowing the real answer.

Edited by Shmoo here

Yup.

My TA thinks they may be in the midst of revising that policy, apparently there have been lots of complaints.

Also part of the confusion is that if you pay in advance above the required deposit, she gets varied answers as to whether those funds are refundable too.

Also, when you make a concierge reservation this shows up on the reservation:

2mwbbbk.jpg

Looks like another example of the person on the phone not knowing the real answer.

Very. Either that or they weren't clear what I was asking (do not think the rep was a native English speaker) - which is a different issue.

It's odd that a DCL phone rep didn't know because it's one of the first things they tell you when booking a suite.

Any "extra" funds paid above the required deposit ARE refundable. Not sure why the TA is getting different answers on that issue.

On at least some cruises, the suites are in high demand. If DCL allows a cancellation with refund, it risks not being able to resell these suites/cabins which are very limited in number and very high in profit. That explains the policy--people will only cancel for good reason. Of course, the same issues occur if the guest moves to a different date, but at least then DCL doesn't have people booking a suite who have no intention of cruising.

So my sister just called to book her cruise for May 2015 and was told if she cancels within 90 days she will get everything LESS her deposit back!!

She just booked a Cat 11!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn't sound right. Except for Concierge and suites, if the reservation is cancelled any time prior to Paid In Full date, all monies paid should be returned.

A Cat 11 isn't concierge or a suite. She should get anything she pays, as long as she cancels before the Paid In Full date (typically 75 days out from cruise, but does vary).

Sounds like another case of the CM on the phone not knowing all the ins and outs.

Edited by Shmoo here

So my sister just called to book her cruise for May 2015 and was told if she cancels within 90 days she will get everything LESS her deposit back!!

She just booked a Cat 11!!!

Unless they have changed the rules in the last week, this is also wrong info. Currently the penalty date on cruises less than 10 days with US departure is 74 days before embarkation. If you cancel 75 or more days ahead, you get 100% of your money back (including deposit). At 74 days, you would lose your deposit. The penalty increases as the cruise nears.

Thank goodness.

She swears up and down that's what she was told, but I told her it can't be true.

Thanks!

What matters is the WRITTEN policy that is in effect on the day she books. Nothing she was told or thought she was told really matters.

That's what I read a couple years ago when the policy, as far as I recall, changed. People would book concierge then decide not to go; concierge is in very high demand, so they preferred that you only book it if you meant it.