Internet Special first days of cruise?

jarand

Does HAL have reduced prices on their internet packages on the first day or two of the sailing? Thanks.
Not reduced prices, but "bonus minutes" if you sign up for a time block on the first day ... except on my last cruise (Prinsendam last May) there were no bonus minutes given with the smallest block of 100 minutes.

Often near the end of a cruise they will have a "happy hour" special. They advertise it as use 30 minutes/pay for 15, but what it really means it that the second 15 minutes is free, so if you use 16 you pay for 15, etc

Edited by jtl513

We had the bonus minutes offer on the first 2 days of the cruise last month. In addition, there was a coupon book in the room with a coupon good for 15 free minutes.

We had the bonus minutes offer on the first 2 days of the cruise last month.
Was it the full two days? I once had a cruise where you could get the bonus for the first 24 hours ... i.e., until Noon of the second day. Zuiderdam, IIRC.
In addition, there was a coupon book in the room with a coupon good for 15 free minutes.
But that's not "combinable" with the bonus minutes offer, and is only good when you buy a new block. I once bought a 100 min block on the first day to get 10 bonus minutes, and then couldn't use the coupon unless I bought an additional block. Edited by jtl513

But that's not "combinable" with the bonus minutes offer, and is only good when you buy a new block. I once bought a 100 min block on the first day to get 10 bonus minutes, and then couldn't use the coupon unless I bought an additional block.

John, We have always bought the 250 minute package on the first day (500 minute last cruise because my granddaughter was with us), and were able to use the coupon in the book for 15 minutes each time we presented it to the IM. We hand them the coupon, and the IM writes our cabin number on it, and within two twos, the extra minutes are added.

We have never purchased additional block time, and have never been denied the 15 minutes.

Edited by kjw869

John, We have always bought the 250 minute package on the first day (500 minute last cruise because my granddaughter was with us), and were able to use the coupon in the book for 15 minutes each time we presented it to the IM.

We have never purchased additional block time, and have never been denied the extra minutes.

Well ... I guess it is up to the Manager to take it or not. The one time I tried he made it quite clear that the coupon says it is not combinable with any other offer and only good when you buy a package. I had only bought 100 min the first day, so maybe that made a difference.

Of course with MTN going and Harris coming in who knows what it will be in the future! :)

Edited by jtl513

You may not get the coupon book. We've only gotten two in 15 HAL cruises.

That's probably be we got 2 on our last cruise. ;) Seriously though, you can ask your steward, the concierge, or front desk if you don't get a coupon book.

Just off the Maasdam and with 250 minutes there weren't any freebies! Friends who are the Ryandam purchased 1000 minutes and got some bonus minutes. On the cruise before us there must have been some freebies because of the length of the cruise. There was a misprint in one of the onboard publications when we boarded and if you were lucky enough to have read it and pointed it out to the librarian - who is now the internet person as well, she reluctantly had you sign your name and you got a $10 credit on your on board account. Apparently there isn't any way for extra minutes to be added. It was a bit confusing for a couple of days.

jtl513 - it was the Harris system - it was quick to log in and log out of and most of the time I felt it faster then whatever they had previously. 250 minutes was ample for 14 days - however, I did use internet at some ports.

jtl513 - it was the Harris system - it was quick to log in and log out of and most of the time I felt it faster then whatever they had previously. 250 minutes was ample for 14 days - however, I did use internet at some ports.

same experience as gigianne on the Maasdam and other roll call members reported the same. Even though they published there were additional minutes apparently the new system can't do it (yet??).

Does HAL have reduced prices on their internet packages on the first day or two of the sailing? Thanks.

Not reduced prices, but "bonus minutes" if you sign up for a time block on the first day ... except on my last cruise (Prinsendam last May) there were no bonus minutes given with the smallest block of 100 minutes.

Often near the end of a cruise they will have a "happy hour" special. They advertise it as use 30 minutes/pay for 15, but what it really means it that the second 15 minutes is free, so if you use 16 you pay for 15, etc

Correct, but from my experience, these "bonus minutes" are not advertised at the Internet Cafe, either in print format with a poster/sign nor 'verbally' by the Internet Manager! :rolleyes: You just have to have been made aware of this 'special' beforehand, as I had been! ;)

We were on the Eurodam in February and they had the "new" system in place. There was no mention of bonus minutes in either of the On Location paper in our cabin or a sign on the internet desk in the Crow's Nest.

I asked the librarian who informed me that there was no longer an internet person assigned to the ship and that bonus minutes were no longer offered under the terms of their new contract with the new provider. :confused:

HAL is cutting back too much IMO.
With MTN the manager was an MTN employee. Apparently Harris is not providing full-time managers. Of course that probably saves Carnival Corp money in the price of the contract.

I use my iPad when I cruise - I had a few problems with logging on/off - the librarian had me use this - 1.1.1.1 and it worked very well.

I did find the ease of use with the new provider must quicker then the previous one.

Edited by gigianne