Princess/eastern or Celebrity/western?

riptide128

Very 1st cruise and having trouble deciding between these two cruises leaving from Ft Lauderdale on Jan 24, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Which itinerary do you like better? Ruby Princess does the Western Caribbean while Celebrity Silhouette goes to the Bahamas and Jamaica.

I've not been to Mexico but, that itinerary might be a bit more interesting. That said, the Celebrity Silhouette is a much newer ship in the Solstice Class. These ships are really gorgeous, modern and sleek.

If it was just based on the ships I would choose the Celebrity Silhouette.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and have a great cruise.

Jonathan

I've been on Ruby and on a sister ship to Silhouette. I would choose Silhouette. Celebrity Solstice Class ships are amazing. Ruby, I thought, was crowded and the decor is very dated. Plus, Silhouette staterooms are considerably larger, more comfortable, have a couch, and have itneractive televisions. None of that applies to Ruby.

I've been on Ruby and on a sister ship to Silhouette. I would choose Silhouette. Celebrity Solstice Class ships are amazing. Ruby, I thought, was crowded and the decor is very dated. Plus, Silhouette staterooms are considerably larger, more comfortable, have a couch, and have itneractive televisions. None of that applies to Ruby.

We also enjoy the larger cabin on Celebrity.

I much prefer the Easter Caribbean islands. I feel the islands are nicer.

I personally love the Ruby Princess - have cruised on her more than once, most recently for 32 days, and was very happy with my choice. As with all Princess ships, service is great, cabins comfortable, plenty of activities and entertainment, good food and lots of choices, and no hairy leg or wet t-shirt contests. Princess is classy without snobbery.

If ship's décor matters ... Princess ships in the age range of the Ruby are done in pastels and light color woods, so the atmosphere is bright, airy, and cheerful.

I think, since you have never cruised before and have nothing to compare it with, you would find yourself pleased if the Ruby is what you choose.

However .... please remember that all this is said as a Princess loyal cruiser.

Edited by flamomo

Here's a snapshot comparison of the standard balcony rooms on both ships, displaying both the size and decor. The first is on Ruby. Personally, I think the decor and size is reminiscent of a ship built in the 80s, but that's just my opinion.

ry%3D480

And this is Solstice Class. I really liked the more modern feel and more space.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

If there's one thing good Ruby has going, it's the walk-in closet, although good real estate was sacrificed for it:

ry%3D480

Very 1st cruise and having trouble deciding between these two cruises leaving from Ft Lauderdale on Jan 24, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

From your other post ... seems you are considering:

Celebrity Silhouette to Cozumel - Grand Cayman - Falmouth, Jamaica - Labadee.

OR

Regal Princess to Princess Cays - St. Thomas - St. Maarten.

Is that correct?

LuLu