My search for a dive outfit in Cozumel - post your review!

I'm looking for a good dive outfit in Cozumel (cruising, will be there on October 21st, 2010), so I'm doing my homework: checking out all the dive shops that have been mentioned in a positive way in this forum. Well, not quite all, but a whole bunch of them.

So I thought I should share my findings as to what they are, and keep updating this thread, all while asking for your feedback. I think it would become a real neat thread that we can add to, and create others like this for other locations. This way we could find a handy one spot for this kind of information, that's not buried 18 pages back in this forum! hehe!

So far I have these places, and I'll separate each one into its own paragraph once I get information for them: Papa Hogs; Scuba with Allison; Eagle Ray Divers; Careyitos Advanced Divers; Dive With Martin; Scuba Tony; Blue X T Diving; Sand Dollars Sports (Cruise shop for all cruise lines - it appears); Dive With Christa; Living Underwater; and Dimi tours.

So I figure 11 shops should be good. If anyone, however, thinks another shop should be added, I'll send them the same e-mail, and include them.

I sent them all the following e-mail to their "contact us", and I'm waiting to see how long it takes for answers. (So far (it's been 3h hours), so far Blue X T Sea Diving, Papa hog's and Scuba with Allison have replied):

Hello,

I will be in Cozumel on October 21st, 2010, coming in on the Oasis of the Seas. She is scheduled to dock at 8:00 AM (EST), but I have no idea how long it takes to get off her, clear security, and get to your location (nor how to get there).

I would like to know if it is possible to accommodate me and maybe others in taking us on a 2-tank scuba outing.

I am also interested in renting gear, specifically the BCD: I like extra large with integrated weights. Do you have these available, and what are your rates (equipment, diving, park access, etc...)?

Also, what do you do during off-gassing periods? Stay in the boat, or go to the beach?

Thanks,

So now I'll fill in the information as I get it. If a field is blank, means I have no info. If you think another filed should be added, then tell me so in a reply, and I will add it to the template, and will make sure all of them have the same fields.

Pricing might be seasonal, always check - this is for comparison only.

Blue Sea XT Sea Diving

• Cost: $79.00 plus 11% tax = $87.69 (as of July 2010)
  • Equipment rental fees: BCD rental (I assume fins too - will have to confirm). $8.00 plus tax = $8.88 (as of July 2010)
  • Equipment Type/quality: Here is what they said about the BCD: "it is new and in excellent condition, but rental gear is basic – so no integrated eight pockets other than to trim pockets on the back (on some of them)."
  • Park access Fee $2.00
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: "The Oasis actually pulls in at 7:00am Cozumel time. Although it’s usually not an issue for our normal departure time of 8:00 – I can schedule a 9:00 departure time for that day since I have time to let anyone else that books between now and then now that we’ll be departing an hour later than normal. "
  • Boat/fleet information: Here is what they said: "My boats hold a maximum of 6 divers, but I can arrange a larger boat if needed."
  • Web Site: www.bluextseadiving.com
  • Transportation to and from ship:

• Off gassing period location:
  • Meals & Drinks:
  • Notes:

Scuba With Allison

• Cost: $75.00 plus 11% tax = $87.69
  • Equipment rental fees: included in above price
  • Equipment Type/quality: "To fit the men on your dive team for rental gear we need to know their heights and weights. To fit any ladies I need to know what sizes they are ie: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14 or 16 etc.....If any of you will need rental fins I will need to know your shoe sizes too. I do not have an extra large BCD that is weight integrated. My BCDs are the type that you have to wear a weight belt with them. "
  • Park access Fee Didn't mention it.
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: "If the Oasis of the Seas departs from Texas you will be on CDT like Cozumel. If your ship departs from Florida then you may be on EST which is one hour ahead of Cozumel. I need to know which time zone you will be on for planning purposes. " I like that they have experience dealing with Cruisers and their time zones.
  • Boat/fleet information: Here is what they said: "boat's name is Maximus". I'll have to check out web site for more information.
  • Web Site: www.scubawithalison.com
  • Transportation to and from ship: this is what she said: "You would have to take a taxi to the Caleta marina as soon as you can get off of the ship. The taxi only takes 10 minutes and costs $8.USD each way. When you get to the Caleta marina tell the taxi driver to find the Maximus. That is the name of our boat. We can start waiting for you as soon as we see your ship arrive."
  • Meals & Drinks:
  • Notes: I like the Cell phone communication part: "Will you have a cell phone with you on the cruise that you can turn on that morning just in case we need to get in touch with each other in case you are running late? We usually wait at least an hour after the ship docks but if I can reach you by phone and know that you are on your way I can hold the boat for you if you are delayed. My cell phone number is: xxx-xxx-xxxx (I took it out on purpose) . That is all that you need to dial while you are in Cozumel. If you call from the US or another country add 011-52-1 first, then the 10 digit phone number." This means she is thinking, and I like that. Organized means less chances of screw-ups. :)

Papa Hog's

• Cost: 2 - tank trip: $63.00 (+ tax?) 3-tank dive trip: $85.00 (+ tax?)
  • Equipment rental fees: BC & REg: $10.00, Wet Suit $5.00, Computer $5.00, Light $11.00. All prices are Per Day and I assume 11% tax on top of that.
  • Equipment Type/quality:
  • Park access Fee $2.00
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message:
  • Boat/fleet information: Web site shows a fleet of 5 boats, with 2 small 2 medium and one large diving boat. The smallest looks like 6 people max. The middle 8 divers, and the largest looks like it could hold 12 divers.
  • Web Site: www.papahogs.com
  • Meals & Drinks:
  • Notes: I sent them an e-mail, and they responded "How many people in your party?that is such a large ship it can take some time to get off. We can most likely plan a 10am departure. Can you get another diver or two?" This shows the willingness to get a separate group together, since they have the small boats - I like the idea of a small party - more flexibility and less cattle-driven! :)

OK: time for feedback: do you want me to keep adding my findings?

Feel free to add reviews of any Cozumel dive shop.

OK: surfing through this forum, I found 6 more dive shops to check out, brining my total to 17 shops!

The shops are Deep Blue; Blue Angel Dive shop; Blue Magic Scuba (Anyone seeing a pattern here?); Neptune's Divers; Scuba Du (Scuba Duba Du - that's sounds better! hehe!); and Chucho Brothers

I will add these to my to-do list...

BTW, blue Angel Scuba had a mail delivery issue, so no communicating. info@blueangelscuba.com does not work anymore...

"Blue Sea XT Sea Diving

• Equipment rental fees: BCD rental (I assume fins too - will have to confirm). $8.00 plus tax = $8.88 (as of July 2010)
  • Equipment Type/quality: Here is what they said about the BCD: "it is new and in excellent condition, but rental gear is basic – so no integrated eight pockets other than to trim pockets on the back (on some of them)."
  • Park access Fee $2.00
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: "The Oasis actually pulls in at 7:00am Cozumel time. Although it’s usually not an issue for our normal departure time of 8:00 – I can schedule a 9:00 departure time for that day since I have time to let anyone else that books between now and then now that we’ll be departing an hour later than normal. "
  • Boat/fleet information: Here is what they said: "My boats hold a maximum of 6 divers, but I can arrange a larger boat if needed."

• Meals & Drinks:
  • Notes:

Scuba With Allison

• Cost: $75.00 plus 11% tax = $87.69
  • Equipment rental fees: included in above price
  • Equipment Type/quality: "To fit the men on your dive team for rental gear we need to know their heights and weights. To fit any ladies I need to know what sizes they are ie: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14 or 16 etc.....If any of you will need rental fins I will need to know your shoe sizes too. I do not have an extra large BCD that is weight integrated. My BCDs are the type that you have to wear a weight belt with them. "
  • Park access Fee Didn't mention it.
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: "If the Oasis of the Seas departs from Texas you will be on CDT like Cozumel. If your ship departs from Florida then you may be on EST which is one hour ahead of Cozumel. I need to know which time zone you will be on for planning purposes. " I like that they have experience dealing with Cruisers and their time zones.
  • Boat/fleet information: Here is what they said: "boat's name is Maximus". I'll have to check out web site for more information.
  • Web Site: www.scubawithalison.com
  • Transportation to and from ship: this is what she said: "You would have to take a taxi to the Caleta marina as soon as you can get off of the ship. The taxi only takes 10 minutes and costs $8.USD each way. When you get to the Caleta marina tell the taxi driver to find the Maximus. That is the name of our boat. We can start waiting for you as soon as we see your ship arrive."
  • Off gassing period location: Alison said: "I usually dock on a pier during the surface interval and let you get off and walk around on the beach. However, if the second dive is on Colombia Shallow then we don´t stop at the beach."
  • Meals & Drinks: Alison said: "I provide purified drinking water, Cokes, Diet Cokes, fresh fruit and pastries in the mornings."
  • Notes: I like the Cell phone communication part: "Will you have a cell phone with you on the cruise that you can turn on that morning just in case we need to get in touch with each other in case you are running late? We usually wait at least an hour after the ship docks but if I can reach you by phone and know that you are on your way I can hold the boat for you if you are delayed. My cell phone number is: xxx-xxx-xxxx (I took it out on purpose) . That is all that you need to dial while you are in Cozumel. If you call from the US or another country add 011-52-1 first, then the 10 digit phone number." This means she is thinking, and I like that. Organized means less chances of screw-ups. :)

Papa Hog's

• Cost: 2 - tank trip: $63.00 (+ tax?) 3-tank dive trip: $85.00 (+ tax?)
  • Equipment rental fees: BC & REg: $10.00, Wet Suit $5.00, Computer $5.00, Light $11.00. All prices are Per Day and I assume 11% tax on top of that.
  • Equipment Type/quality:
  • Park access Fee $2.00
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message:
  • Boat/fleet information: Web site shows a fleet of 5 boats, with 2 small 2 medium and one large diving boat. The smallest looks like 6 people max. The middle 8 divers, and the largest looks like it could hold 12 divers.
  • Web Site: www.papahogs.com
  • Meals & Drinks:
  • Notes: I sent them an e-mail, and they responded "How many people in your party?that is such a large ship it can take some time to get off. We can most likely plan a 10am departure. Can you get another diver or two?" I replied "I have no confirmed divers yet, but I might have 2 others. I found out that the time zone of the ship is 1 hour ahead of local time, so I come in at 7:00 AM, and I could probably be off in 30 minutes. So on the dock by 7:30 AM local time. I am also interested in renting gear, specifically the BCD: I like extra large with integrated weights. Do you have these available, and what are your rates (equipment, diving, park access, etc...)?"

The initial response shows the willingness to get a separate group together, since they have the small boats - I like the idea of a small party - more flexibility and less cattle-driven! :) Still no reply to the answers I gave them. Maybe the not knowing if anyone is joining me has got me placed to the back of the line.;)

I know for certain that the following operators do their SI at a beach club, often it is Playa Palancar. Usually at least 1 hour. Several do 1 1/2 hour SI's

Scuba with Allison

Scuba Tony

Blue X T Diving

Living Underwater

Also, you should be aware that http://www.neptunesdivers.com is in Grand Cayman and probably can't accommodate you in Cozumel.

I know for certain that the following operators do their SI at a beach club, often it is Playa Palancar. Usually at least 1 hour. Several do 1 1/2 hour SI's

Scuba with Allison

Scuba Tony

Blue X T Diving

Living Underwater

Also, you should be aware that www.neptunesdivers.com is in Grand Cayman and probably can't accommodate you in Cozumel.

Oh crap! hehe! I stumbled across them on a Cozumel thread, and I didn't check the location.

"Blue Sea XT Sea Diving

• Park access Fee $2.00
  • Boat/fleet information: Here is what they said: "My boats hold a maximum of 6 divers, but I can arrange a larger boat if needed." She also added "I also take small groups out on very well maintained, covered, fast boats."
  • Transportation to and from ship: This is what is on their policy: "Unfortunately, per federal maritime laws, private dive/tour operators are not permitted to pick you up at the ship pier. However, this is no big deal as it is only a short taxi ride to our departure point. Once your reservations are confirmed, you will receive meeting instructions from us." Anyone know what the taxi rate should be?

• Off gassing period location: "We spend surface intervals at one of the beaches."
  • Meals & Drinks: "We provide bottled water, juice, fresh seasonal fruit and some sort of light snack such as muffins, sandwiches, cookies, etc. We also provide towels, jackets and hot tea (when cooler weather hits) on board – so you can leave your towel on the ship."
  • Notes: She (Christi) also added: "Dive sites are selected each day as a group taking conditions and skill levels in mind of course. We allow all of our divers to dive their air and computers and do not make everyone surface together hen the first diver is lo on air. The DM will deploy a surface marker for the low on air diver(s) to complete their safety stop and he will stay don with the rest of the group. Our bottom times are typically 60 to 70 minutes with an hour and a half surface interval time." I like the small groups part: I do not like the idea of large groups at all. I also must mention that they responded to my questions very quickly and in a professional manner. I received a quote from them, detailing all the prices and taxes. As of 24 hours into this research, they are the only dive shop to indicate taxes. This shows professionalism, and also not taking part of the underground economy (I hate people that partake in that - it's like dealing with the black market!). I can see why they are in the top 4 dive shops getting positive reviews in this forum. :) Also, no information yet as to 3-tank 3-dives.

On a side note: I have been adding questions to my standard e-mail, One was to ask about 3-tank 3-dive outings.The other was to ask about meals and drinks during off-gassing periods.

To the operators that didn't get asked these questions in their original e-mail, I have included the missing questions in a reply to their replies only (if they don't reply to me, they don't get my business!)

The meals are important, but you don't need the all-you-can eat buffet with beer. You are on a diving outing, and you need compact food: high-energy, protein, and safe water to hydrate. Cans of carbonated drinks (beer, pop, etc...) are ludicrous to consume in between dives - at least I have always thought so. My ideal scuba snack (because you don't want to eat too much) is a hard-boiled egg, and sandwich, or even a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (combines carbs and protein in one tasty little package). I think some light snacks like veggies or bits of fruit to chow down on between dives is nice too. My fear is to dive bloated - did that once, and I wasn't comfortable. And when I'm underwater, I want to be as comfortable as possible, so I can truly enjoy the environment.

If I want to pig out, I can do that all the time on board the ship, because you NEVER GO HUNGRY ON BOARD, right? :D

If you have not been included on the list, please post your web site address, and I will e-mail you my questions, and please answer them to me in a reply e-mail. I will then add your shop's information to this list in the standard format I have created. Please add as much information as possible: it helps in making my mind up, but it's also good for the otehr divers that read this thread. :)

If you feel that I have missed any information, it should be also be clear at this point who I am, and please send me an e-mail pointing out any discrepancies, and I will be happy to update your information.

Well, I must admit this is a great reply - love the detail, and the responses times are fantastic: I really feel like my business is important to them! One key ingredient into replying to potential customers is to make them feel they are important to you.

Here is an excerpt of the e-mail response I just got back:

I agree, with so many dive shops in one place, it can prove to be an overwhelming task. There is no one dive shop that is “the best,” but we were not all created equal. You’ll see that prices range anywhere from $60 per to-tank dive to $90 per two tank dive depending on the shop. Those of us who provide boutique services are at the higher end of the scale for a reason, and it is most often true here that you do get what you pay for. We all go to the same basic reefs, but the difference really is in the details and the crew. You’ll see from the reviews, that my team is highly respected and thought of. We have all been together for 8 years working as solid team from the front of the house to the back of the house – so consistency is not an issue with my operation J

And then she goes on to say:

Gear rental prices are:

Equipment Rental (per day)

Full set

$20.00 USD

BCD

$8.00 USD

Regulator with console

$10.00 USD

Wrist computer (rented per week, 3 days or more)

$60.00 USD (per week); or $10 USD per day

Wetsuit (3mm shorty)

$10.00 USD

Mask/fins

$6.00 USD

Dive light (UK LED Technology)

$8.00 USD

Full set includes BCD, regulator set-up, mask, and fins

BCD and reg only = $15 USD/day + tax

The taxi fare should be no more than $8 USD from the Oasis dock to the marina or to our downtown pier – I cannot be certain here we will depart form that day as that depends on where we have to pick up other divers as well.

As for three-tank dives, we do offer them if we have enough interest and/or if logistics permit based on where we are dropping people off, etc. In other words, we typically need at least three to four divers to make the third tank but we can sometimes make the third tank with as little as two divers if logistics permit. If you assemble a group of 4 to 6 divers, I can actually set a boat aside specifically for your group and cater the dive day specifically to your groups preferences. The price for this would be $120pp + tax for four divers, and $110pp + tax for five to six divers for three-tanks.

The harbor master sends an e-mail each week with the ships arrival schedules and at which pier each ship will be docking. Aside from that, we physically keep track of the ship’s arrival on days that we have cruise ship guests – so if the ship is running late, we will wait accordingly.

My office number is forwarded to my cell phone at all times when I am not physically in the office, so I can always be reached. I will also provide additional contact information upon booking and will provide detailed meeting instructions at that point. We can do all paperwork by e-mail so that we don’t have that to worry about standing on the pier the morning of the dive. We will have all gear and everything ready for you so that all you have to do is get on the boat, have fun, and dive J

As mentioned before, we provide bottled water, juice (no carbonated or alcoholic drinks), fresh seasonal fruit and other light snacks during surface intervals. For three tank dives, we provide a light boxed lunch after the second dive in additional to the snacks during the first surface interval.

Our two-tank excursions run 4 to 6 hours start to finish including travel time, gear-up, bottom time and surface interval time, break down, etc. Three-tank excursions run 6 to 8 hours respectively. I provide a range because these times vary depending on where we dive, bottom times, weather, etc. but you can count on a minimum surface interval time of 1.25 hours between each dive (usually 1.5 hours). This allows more than adequate off-gassing not only for the divers, but also for my crew, who dive every day. It also prevents us from being limited on what we can do for the second and/or third dives of the day.

Now, I love all the detail, and I like the part about how 3-tank, 3 dives goes - very clear!

Also, one shop in St. Thomas (Admiralty) only has 30 minutes in between dives, which makes me feel rushed. I want to relax, off-gas, and enjoy myself: I have no plans that day other than to go scuba diving!

So I now have to look for 4 more divers so we can collectively save fifty bucks! I need at least 3 more to make "quorum"...

Just got this reply from Living Underwater:

Living Underwater

• Cost: They didn't say - have to check website
  • Equipment rental fees: They didn't say - have to check website
  • Equipment Type/quality: Here is what they said about the BCD: "I do have a b.c.d. that is an XL that has integrated weights that we can rent you."
  • Park access Fee Didn't say anything
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: "Since the boat is scheduled to dock at 8:00 then you should have no problem meeting us by 9:15. Of course you would want to be sure to be ready to get off the boat when they open the doors to let you off. "
  • Boat/fleet information: Here is what they said: "My boats hold a maximum of 6 divers, but I can arrange a larger boat if needed." She also added "I also take small groups out on very well maintained, covered, fast boats."
  • Web Site: www.living-underwater.com
  • Transportation to and from ship: Didn't mention anything

• Off gassing period location: "As for the our Surface Interval, we do go to a local beach"
  • Meals & Drinks: "we do go to a local beach where you are able to relax grab a bite to eat, drink a juice or just lay in the sun."
  • Notes: Pros: responded the next day - so he's in the top 5 for replies... Cons: didn't answer most of my questions, as you can see above. I'll reply asking for pricing and other concerns (3-dive,and meals and drink, since they weren't included in the first batch of e-mails).

Note on replying to prosective clients: When they don't answer all the questions, it leaves me to believe they don't think I'll be happy with the answer. If they don't think I'm going to like it, then there's a good chance I won't be happy with the answers too. Still, I want to know for the record. :)

Here is my post on our day with Alison from a recent thread:

"My wife and I just got back from our scuba and snorkel trip with Scuba with Alison in Cozumel on June 23, 2010. It was a great day and I can recomend her without reservation.

The nice thing about diving with her is that she allows you to dive your own tank. As divers got to 700 PSI, she would go up with them for their 3 minute safety stop and then rejoin the other divers once that diver had completed the safety stop and got back on the dive boat. Depth for both dives we did were in the 60 to 70 foot range with bottom times of just over one hour.

My wife really enjoyed her snorkel experience as well. There were two other snorkelers in addition to my wife and the snorkel guide which Alison provides. Alison picked spots on the reef that were both good for snorkelers and divers: specifically on this day Palencar horseshoe and La Francesa.

The surface interval was spent at Palencar beach which was a beautiful place as well.

I also dove in Grand Cayman, Roatan and Costa Maya on this trip. Although I enjoyed the diving at each stop and diving experience can vary day to day, Cozumel and Alison's dive operation were the clear highlights of the trip for me."

I brought my own gear so can not comment on the rental equipment.

Got more information from Living Underwater. It was pretty good, so it must have been an omission on their part. Here is the updated information:

Living Underwater

• Cost: Gave me a link to their pricing <click here>. $85.00 for 2 dive 2-tank dive, no pricing or information on the 3 dive 3 tank trips.
  • Equipment rental fees: Website says $10.00 for BCD, $10.00 for reg set, $10.00 for light, and $7.00 for computer (rented out on 1 week contracts only).
  • Equipment Type/quality: Here is what they said about the BCD: "I do have a b.c.d. that is an XL that has integrated weights that we can rent you."
  • Park access Fee Pricing page says "Marine Park fees are included"
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: "Since the boat is scheduled to dock at 8:00 then you should have no problem meeting us by 9:15. Of course you would want to be sure to be ready to get off the boat when they open the doors to let you off. ".
  • Boat/fleet information: "The boat that use is a shaded fast boat with a max of 8 divers on board plus crew."
  • Transportation to and from ship: "On the boat we have bottled water, sodas, fresh fruit, towels and even jackets in case we hit some bad weather."
  • Notes: Pros: responded the next day - so he's in the top 5 for replies... Cons: didn't answer most of my questions, as you can see above. I'll reply asking for pricing and other concerns (3-dive,and meals and drink, since they weren't included in the first batch of e-mails).OK: got more information, and this concerns me a bit: "We charge $85 usd for a two tank dive (plus tax if using a credit card)". Now why would they only charge tax if paying by credit card? I do know that the underground economy can't work with credit cards because there is a paper chase, but with cold hard cash, it's free to infest our economy. These are the very same taxes that pay the salaries of the police officers we hope keep us safe when we visit these places... I'll have to think long and hard about doing business with that shop...

Another lesson in doing business: never openly or indirectly talk about tax fraud: leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the potential client.

Note: I will ask "Living Underwater" about this tax bit, because on their web site, it says "All prices are subject to a 10% federal sales tax (IVA)". So what is this bit about saving taxes when not using credit cards?

Here is my post on our day with Alison from a recent thread:

"My wife and I just got back from our scuba and snorkel trip with Scuba with Alison in Cozumel on June 23, 2010. It was a great day and I can recomend her without reservation.

The nice thing about diving with her is that she allows you to dive your own tank. As divers got to 700 PSI, she would go up with them for their 3 minute safety stop and then rejoin the other divers once that diver had completed the safety stop and got back on the dive boat. Depth for both dives we did were in the 60 to 70 foot range with bottom times of just over one hour.

My wife really enjoyed her snorkel experience as well. There were two other snorkelers in addition to my wife and the snorkel guide which Alison provides. Alison picked spots on the reef that were both good for snorkelers and divers: specifically on this day Palencar horseshoe and La Francesa.

The surface interval was spent at Palencar beach which was a beautiful place as well.

I also dove in Grand Cayman, Roatan and Costa Maya on this trip. Although I enjoyed the diving at each stop and diving experience can vary day to day, Cozumel and Alison's dive operation were the clear highlights of the trip for me."

I brought my own gear so can not comment on the rental equipment.

Thanks for the review! :)

As I suspected, I will be getting more replies now that the weekend is over: I sent my enquiries on on Saturday morning and afternoon.

Chucho Divers

• Cost: $70.00 2 Tank Dive & $90.00 3 Tank Dive
  • Equipment rental fees: "$10.00 BCD Rental ". With regards to the rest of the gear, I was asked "Do you have a regulator, wetsuit/skin, Fins, Mask and Snorkel?"

• Equipment Type/quality: Here is what they said about the BCD: "I believe none have integrated weights, but I can check and see if we can get integrated."
  • Park access Fee "$2.50 per day per person Marine Park Fee"
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: " I am sure we can accommodate your request. Generally once your cruise ships docks it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to debark. You should be able to ask the cruise line about the time whether it is local time or ship time. We also get the cruise ship schedules weekly. For diving the boat will generally leave the Marina at 9:00. ".
  • Boat/fleet information: "The boat you would most likely be on has a roof top for relaxing and sunning which is very nice too!"
  • Transportation to and from ship: "You would need to take a taxi from the cruise ship pier to Caleta Marina. If your cruise ship docks on the south pier it is a very quick ride because you are very close. If it docks at the north pier it is a bit longer ride, but still very quick and easy."
  • Off gassing period location: "Most of the time we remain on the boat cruising slowly to our next dive while you enjoy your beverages & snacks."
  • Meals & Drinks: "For 2 tanks on a surface interval we usually have non-alcoholic beverages (water/soda) and snacks. 3 tanks is when it becomes a light lunch with non-alcoholic beverages (water/soda). "
  • Notes: Responded the first weekday after - not bad. Number five in the list. They seem professional in their reply so far. I like that they answered all the questions, but they didn't talk about taxes. One company is charging 11% and another says they charge 10%. I can't imagine why there would be a difference. Park access fee is 50 cents more than the outfits that charge for it - don't really care. Regarding 3-tank dives, this is what they said:"Majority of the time our day is 2 tanks. Depending on the rest of customers on the boat would depend if we can do 3 tanks. You'll want to also know the time you need to be back to your ship and take that into consideration as well. With 2 tanks we leave at 9 AM and are back no later than 2:30 PM."
  • Pros: don't serve alcoholic drinks (never want that on a dive - one guy screws up, the whole dive is cut short, and we all suffer for some idiot). Light snacks or light meals: that the name of the game when diving: pig out after you're done diving! Answered almost every one of my questions in first e-mail: pays attention to my details: I like that! Competitive price - a few bucks saved is nice too.
  • Cons: Not sure about integrated weights: if they have it, I don't have to bring my own BCD, and just my reg mask, snorkel and computer, and maybe fins (haven't bought them yet - any ideas, guys?). The off-gassing is done on the boat. If it's OK weather, then I'm fine. If it's choppy waters, then I'm going to be wanting a shore leave instead. Fun on the beach is always nice, so it depends on the boat. I know that if I eat and go on waves, I will throw up! :)

I didn't copy two of the lines from the first Living Underwater info to the updated one, for some reason.

Living Underwater

• Cost: Gave me a link to their pricing <click here>. $85.00 for 2 dive 2-tank dive, no pricing or information on the 3 dive 3 tank trips.
  • Equipment rental fees: Website says $10.00 for BCD, $10.00 for reg set, $10.00 for light, and $7.00 for computer (rented out on 1 week contracts only).
  • Park access Fee Pricing page says "Marine Park fees are included"
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: "Since the boat is scheduled to dock at 8:00 then you should have no problem meeting us by 9:15. Of course you would want to be sure to be ready to get off the boat when they open the doors to let you off. ".
  • Boat/fleet information: "The boat that use is a shaded fast boat with a max of 8 divers on board plus crew."
  • Transportation to and from ship: "On the boat we have bottled water, sodas, fresh fruit, towels and even jackets in case we hit some bad weather."
  • Off gassing period location: "As for the our Surface Interval, we do go to a local beach"
  • Meals & Drinks: "we do go to a local beach where you are able to relax grab a bite to eat, drink a juice or just lay in the sun." - You buy food and drinks from a restaurant on the beach.
  • Notes: Pros: responded the next day - so he's in the top 5 for replies... Cons: didn't answer most of my questions, as you can see above. I'll reply asking for pricing and other concerns (3-dive,and meals and drink, since they weren't included in the first batch of e-mails).OK: got more information, and this concerns me a bit: "We charge $85 usd for a two tank dive (plus tax if using a credit card)". Now why would they only charge tax if paying by credit card? I do know that the underground economy can't work with credit cards because there is a paper chase, but with cold hard cash, it's free to infest our economy. These are the very same taxes that pay the salaries of the police officers we hope keep us safe when we visit these places... I'll have to think long and hard about doing business with that shop...

I like that they answered all the questions, but they didn't talk about taxes. One company is charging 11% and another says they charge 10%. I can't imagine why there would be a difference. Park access fee is 50 cents more than the outfits that charge for it - don't really care.

Sales tax (IVA in Mexico) went up from 10% to 11% on January 1, 2010, but then again if they don't charge the tax consistently, they might not even be aware that the law changed 7 months ago. The park fee is a set fee by the marine park (government) of $2.00 per day so no shop should be charging anything more for it. The shops have to buy disposable paper bracelets from the marine park every month and all divers and snorkelers have to wear when inside the marine park. Ive been on the boat when the marine park stops by to check that everyone has their bracelets on to make sure the shop is paying the fees and giving the customers the bracelets.

Sales tax (IVA in Mexico) went up from 10% to 11% on January 1, 2010, but then again if they don't charge the tax consistently, they might not even be aware that the law changed 7 months ago. The park fee is a set fee by the marine park (government) of $2.00 per day so no shop should be charging anything more for it. The shops have to buy disposable paper bracelets from the marine park every month and all divers and snorkelers have to wear when inside the marine park.

Thanks for the info! Yea: when I don't see consistency or shady stuff or not up to date on something, I'm very hesitant to do business with an organization, especially so far from home.

The dive shop you have listed dive with Christa is dive with cristina. Just FYI.

We are booked with her in 3 weeks can't wait. She is our favorite down there her boat is nice with a covered area that is comfortable. She offers a light lunch with fruit, and she now will take pics of the dive and give them to you (free) the pics are great my sister just used her a couple of months ago.

Of course the best part is that she is a great dive master for all ages and experience. Once We took our 12 year old and she was his buddy. It made his dive. Her prices are good too $75 for 2 tank.

The dive shop you have listed dive with Christa is dive with cristina. Just FYI.

We are booked with her in 3 weeks can't wait. She is our favorite down there her boat is nice with a covered area that is comfortable. She offers a light lunch with fruit, and she now will take pics of the dive and give them to you (free) the pics are great my sister just used her a couple of months ago.

Of course the best part is that she is a great dive master for all ages and experience. Once We took our 12 year old and she was his buddy. It made his dive. Her prices are good too $75 for 2 tank.

She takes pictures while she is leading the dive? Does she have another divemaster in the water to help if someone has an emergency?

You know what I don't know. She didn't use to take pics. My sister went with her in March and that was when I saw the pics. I would imagine she either has someone else lead or someone else take. She has never been unsafe even a bit when we have been diving with her. I will find out. She usually has a couple of workers with her.

Sales tax (IVA in Mexico) went up from 10% to 11% on January 1, 2010, but then again if they don't charge the tax consistently, they might not even be aware that the law changed 7 months ago. The park fee is a set fee by the marine park (government) of $2.00 per day so no shop should be charging anything more for it. The shops have to buy disposable paper bracelets from the marine park every month and all divers and snorkelers have to wear when inside the marine park. Ive been on the boat when the marine park stops by to check that everyone has their bracelets on to make sure the shop is paying the fees and giving the customers the bracelets.

It was most-probably their web site that hasn't been updated, and that's why it say 10% and not 11%

Keep your web site up to date, folks! :D

Sand Dollar Sports got a different e-mail than the others, and that is why some data is missing.

Sand Dollar Sports

• Cost: I didn't ask - see web site
  • Equipment rental fees: I didn't ask, see web site.
  • Equipment Type/quality: I didn't ask, see web site.
  • Park access Fee I didn't ask, see web site.
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message: I didn't ask, see web site.
  • Boat/fleet information: "The capacity of the boat is assigned according the number of divers who signed up for the tour. It depends also on the season. The minimum per boat is 4 divers and the maximum is 24. "
  • Web Site: www.sanddollarsports.com
  • Transportation to and from ship: I didn't ask, see web site.
  • Off gassing period location: I didn't ask, see web site.
  • Meals & Drinks: I didn't ask, see web site.
  • Notes: This is what she said: "The tour has to be done in 4 ½ hrs, therefore we have to follow a schedule with recreational diving bottom times (35 minutes at 80 feet and 40 to 45 minutes at 60 feet), it is different when you stay in a hotel, you can come back at any time… the cruise ship will not wait, we do have to come back on a time previously set.
    There are advantages and disadvantages when you take any kind of decisions… the main advantage of diving through the cruise line dive operator is that your tour is guaranteed by the cruise line, in case of any emergency or delays, we are in constant contact with cruise ship staff and you will never miss your ship.
    If the tour is cancelled due bad weather or the ship changes itinerary you will get your refund automatically. You don’t have to worry on getting your own transportation, you will not get any wrong meeting point information and our staff will be waiting for you on the pier before you get off the ship.
    Most importantly, if our service didn’t satisfy you, you have someone onboard the cruise ship who will listen what you have to say."
  • Pros, well the "get you back on the ship" promise.
  • Cons: up to 24 passengers on a boat! Back in 4.5 hours. Kinda feel rushed.
  • Final thoughts on cruise-diving: not really my thing. I think I'm going to find someone that can take me on a 3-dive trip, and really make a day out of it. After this day, it's one day sailing, then back home the next day. So I'm going to choose the place that gives me the feeling like I'm really going to enjoy myself all day, and place a perma-grin on my face for the next month! hehe! Anyway, cruise dive - not going to happen for this guy.

Blue Magic Scuba responded by breaking up my e-mail, and answering in a different colour text right after each question - nice! :)

Blue Magic Scuba

• Cost: Oddly enough, she (Joyce) missed that part and didn't answer.
  • Equipment rental fees: She didn't answer that one either
  • Equipment Type/quality:"We have plenty of great rental gear in your sizes, but our clients renting gear need to wear a weight belt. We don’t have BCDs with pouches."

• Park access Fee She didn't answer that one either
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message:"The cruise ship will dock at the International Pier most likely." Then she says " But, I don’t have any idea how long it takes to get off a boat that large either. Our boats usually go out around 9am, and if you dock around 7am, you should be able to be here by 8:30, I would hope. Our address is: etc..."
  • Boat/fleet information: Not included in response, but I didn't ask in e-mail, apparantly.
  • Web Site: www.bluemagicscuba.com
  • Transportation to and from ship: "Once you get a taxi, it will only take 5 minutes to get here."
  • Off gassing period location: "Where we go during surface intervals depends on which dive sites we go to each day. We try to go to one of several piers along the coastline (weather permitting) but sometimes’ it’s impossible, in which case we slowly motor to the next reef."

• Meals & Drinks: She didn't say, so if we don't go to a pier, then how do we eat?
  • Notes:I liked the reply at first, but she missed the mark when it came to pricing - not a single price mentioned. When I asked about 3-tank dive, she replies:"Yes, we have availability to take you and others on a 2 or 3 tank dive trip that day." But no pricing or details - with a 3-tank dive you need a lunch break and a rest - for both you and the guys off-gassing who have to get ready for a night dive. I might ask for the information. If I do and get it, I'll post it.

It turns out the most annoying e-mail has some of the best stuff in it for hitting all the bases. She (yes, it appears that most dive shops have women doing the replies! hehe!) typed everything in CAPS!!! It's like I'm being yelled at. So to pass on that feeling, I'll leave all her replies I copy to here in original format! hehe! :D

Dive With Christina

• Cost: I like this response: "THE PRICE FOR DIVERS WILL BE 90 US INCLUDING EVERYTHING, 2 TANKS, FULL GEAR, LUNCH ON BOARD, PARK FEE AND TAX."
  • Equipment rental fees: Included in above
  • Equipment Type/quality: "WE HAVE ALL GEAR NEED INCLUDING A XL BCD WITH INTEGRATED WEIGHTS."
  • Park access Fee Included in package price.
  • Accommodating ship arrival time message:"WE CAN MEET YOUR SHIP SCHEDULE. WE LEAVE AT 9 AM AND RETURN AT 3 PM.."
  • Boat/fleet information: "WE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND HAVE ONLY ONE BOAT ,,, NENA..."
  • Web Site: www.divewithcristina.com
  • Transportation to and from ship: YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE A TAXI TO MEET US. OUR MARINA CALETA JUST 5 MINUTES SOUTH FROM THE CRUISE SHIP TERMINAL. IT WILL COST YOU 2 US PER PERSON AT THE MOST...
  • Off gassing period location: THEN WE GO TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION AND HAVE LUNCH ON BOARD WHILE RESTING AND SUNBATHING.
  • Meals & Drinks: see off-gassing above.
  • Notes: Nothing about 3-dive trips. Also, 6 hours for two dives? Seams a long time. I mean, I like the fun and all, but I really wanted to see if I could squeeze in another dive that day. "WE TAKE YOU TO THE SOUTH REEFS TO PALANCAR GARDENS AND THE DIVE LAST ABOUT ONE HOUR. THEN WE GO TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION AND HAVE LUNCH ON BOARD WHILE RESTING AND SUNBATHING. WE DO THE SECOND DIVE AT SAN FRANCISCO WALL ." She also says: "
    I WILL JUST NEED YOUR CONFIRMATION AND A LIST OF PARTICIPANTS WITH NAMES, WEIGHT AND HEIGHT TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE RIGHT SET OF GEAR.
    I WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU AND OPEN TO YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE THIS TRIP AN UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCED FOR ALL YOUR GROUP."
  • Pros: Everything included for one low price, including a lunch. I don't know the details, but I like it so far. Full day kind of excursion, but ends at 3:00 PM - kind of short by a couple hours for me, since we leave at 8:00 PM.

• Cons: Payment:"I ACCEPT RESERVATIONS BY EMAIL AND YOU PAY US ON BOARD, CASH DOLLARS...." Cash dollars only means no paper trail, means are we paying taxes? Anyway, I will think about this one too. Also, nothing about 3-tank dives. I really really really want a 3-tank dive!!

OK: it's now 9:19 PM EST, which is one hour ahead of Cozumel. If someone isn't going to reply by 8:00 PM on the following Monday, then they start getting strikes against them. In other words, how quickly someone responds to me has value.

Outstanding thread. We have to make our dive decision for our cruise in Sept, so this will certainly help out. Few additional thoughts we are considering.

1. What is their policy for cancelation?

2. Size and capacity of the boat. To me that is important as it's why I'm not booking through the cruise as that is a guarantee large boat with lots of people. I want a smaller (quicker) boat with less people.

I will post what we decide and our review when we get back.

Outstanding thread. We have to make our dive decision for our cruise in Sept, so this will certainly help out. Few additional thoughts we are considering.

1. What is their policy for cancellation?

2. Size and capacity of the boat. To me that is important as it's why I'm not booking through the cruise as that is a guarantee large boat with lots of people. I want a smaller (quicker) boat with less people.

I will post what we decide and our review when we get back.

Great comments and suggestions, thank you for the kudos, and I will add this information for those that have given it to me.

Also, I have included the web site address for every dive shop so far, so if I don't have it, you can look there.

Archived