Verandah Grill on QV

klaritch

Did they convert the Todd English restaurant on the Queen Victoria to the Verandah Grill? I thought I saw something about that.
Yes but, the well respected, very experienced and much travelled cap'n posted this recently:
Not wishing to put a spoke in anyone's wheel but I have eaten in the Verandah on both QE and QV and they are like chalk and cheese. The QE experience was stunning and probably one on the nicest restaurants that I have ever had, certainly at sea; conversely the QV Verandah was awful. At their invitation and as a result of a conversation that I had with a senior officer I met with the Hotel and F&B Managers. They explained that the QV version is not currently a mirror image of the QE as the man behind them all, Jean Claude Zimmerman wanted to ring the changes. It is a French restaurant that doesn't offer much in the way of French food and what it does offer isn't worth bothering with. I wouldn't put words in their mouths but my impression was that I certainly wasn't the first passenger to be dissatisfied with the meal and that they were desperately seeking an acceptable resolution to the matter that wouldn't upset Mr Z. This was in May this year.
In this thread:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43302506#post43302506

Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

we returned from a QV cruise 2 weeks ago and had one dinner at the Verandah restaurant, mainly for a change of scenery.

The service (by mainly Eastern European staff) was very..."keen".

Quite cute actually. We had a good laugh and left a big tip.

The food was interesting.

Most of it reads well on the menu, but what is delivered is not always what you would imagine.

The chef seems to have a thing for blue cheese, which features in a number of dishes. The waitress actually discouraged us from ordering certain things containing the blue cheese. She said "unless you RRRRREARLY like it, I would not recommend it. It is very strong and you cannot taste the other things."

Our appetizers were very pleasant, my wife's beef and lobster was sensational, my main course I can't remember (but I am sure it was fine). Souffle for dessert was excellent.

Overall the USD25 p.p. foir the food is quite reasonable. Of course the wine etc may bring up the bill substantially.

Oh, if you want a table by the windows, see the restaurant manager as early as possible and see on which day they can fit you in.

If you are not bothered by this, I dont think there is a need to book ahead. There seemed to be plenty of empty tabeles every night.

They also open the restaurant for lunch on sea days. Not sure if they do the evening menu or something different.