GaGa Ball: What is it really?

OneStrangeGuy

I've read a lot about this game that the kids seem to love called GaGa Ball. The best description that I have read is that it's sort-of like dodge ball, but different. One person stated that her daughter hated dodge ball, but loved GaGa ball. Another had her son fall and split his head open. his only concern while he was being stitched up was that he was missing GaGa ball. It must be quite a game!

If anyone can give a better description it would really be appreciated.

Don't know what this has to do with cruising, but I just Googled it and found an article on Wikipedia. Took about 3 seconds... less time than posting here. Apparently it's an Israeli form of dodgeball.

Don't you understand some people are simply too lazy to use google

Gotta love cruise critic.:rolleyes: Gagaball is a very popular game, played by kids in the kids programs so yes, it is a cruise related topic. It is simliar to dodge ball but in gaga ball, you can not hold the ball, you have to hit it back at a person. A person is out if they are hit with the ball. It is less "violent" than dodge ball and is good for the younger set where the teens and adults like dodge ball better.

Gotta love cruise critic.:rolleyes: Gagaball is a very popular game, played by kids in the kids programs so yes, it is a cruise related topic. It is simliar to dodge ball but in gaga ball, you can not hold the ball, you have to hit it back at a person. A person is out if they are hit with the ball. It is less "violent" than dodge ball and is good for the younger set where the teens and adults like dodge ball better.

You can chew gum on a cruise ship too but if I don't think this forum is the place to randomly ask if you like bubble gum

I had never heard of this until I came to Cruise Critic, and read of it being played on ships, thus I aparantly mistakenly assumed that it was played on ships and had something to do with cruising.

A quick look at the search function on Cruise Critic lists many pages of references to this being played in kids clubs on many different ships! That's why I asked the question in the family section.

I had never heard of this until I came to Cruise Critic, and read of it being played on ships, thus I aparantly mistakenly assumed that it was played on ships and had something to do with cruising.

A quick look at the search function on Cruise Critic lists many pages of references to this being played in kids clubs on many different ships! That's why I asked the question in the family section.

Your question was completely appropriate for this forum. If you look at the link in crusinmama06's signature to her collection of kids pages, you can see that gaga ball is played on many, if not all the cruiselines.

There are some videos out on youtube that will show you how they play it.:)

Edit to add link:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/

You can chew gum on a cruise ship too but if I don't think this forum is the place to randomly ask if you like bubble gum
My DD has three Adventure Ocean medallions from having won the GaGa ball championship on three of her cruises (she retired undefeated and chose not to compete in the championships on subsequent RCCI cruises, wanting to give the other kids "a chance" to win) :D. The only times she has ever played GaGa ball has been on-board and the only time I have every heard of GaGa ball has been in reference to a RCCI cruise.

It is an important tradition of the AO program. It is right up there with pirate night and aliens.

You don't have to be rude. If you don't know that kids play it on a cruise then simply don't answer the question. I had never heard of it. It was a perfectly valid question that didn't deserve your responses. I thought it was interesting to learn about.

• 2 weeks later...

Gaga ball is a staple of kids programs on the cruises we have been on, and is extremely popular. Based on these facts, it seems perfectly appropriate to discuss on a cruise forum dealing with families and children.

My son, who has been playing it now for 7 years on cruises indicates it is indeed like dodge ball, but with two key differences. First, players bat the ball instead of throwing it, and two, the ball remains on the ground at all time. If it hits you, you are out. Simple game, but incredibly enjoyable according to my kids.

Gaga ball is a staple of kids programs on the cruises we have been on, and is extremely popular. Based on these facts, it seems perfectly appropriate to discuss on a cruise forum dealing with families and children.

My son, who has been playing it now for 7 years on cruises indicates it is indeed like dodge ball, but with two key differences. First, players bat the ball instead of throwing it, and two, the ball remains on the ground at all time. If it hits you, you are out. Simple game, but incredibly enjoyable according to my kids.

Yes, I think this is a pretty good description. And my daughter is the one who is the one who described above as being terrified in school when they play dodgeball (and summer camp) but races off to RCI Adventure Ocean to play Gaga Ball. And that is the cruise line she has always played it on - Royal Caribbean. I don't remember it on our other cruises.

Every RCI cruise the kids tell me that they MUST be there for Gaga ball.

And after our August cruise we had to add "Crazy Tag" to that as well. Don't ask me to explain those rules - I wasn't there. But when the kids are home from school - I can ask. It's for the teen club.

The games must be fun. After my youngest got hurt during a game of "steal the bacon" (a little boy accidentally head butted her and it resulted in a SEVERELY BRUISED eye and cheek bone - we had to have X-rays onboard because we were sure her eye socket was broken) Her response to me when I told her she had to sit out the next day from those games "noooooo, I have another eye!"

Not too sure how it's played onboard but we played it in camp (Camp Hilltop in Malibu, mid 70's). Octagonal court with 3foot high walls. Maybe 8-10 feet across total. Had to bounce it off the wall to hit someone. No teams and about 30 of us in the court at a time. I remember it being a brutal game, especially the way the very competitive played it. Way worse than dodgeball. IIRC there was at least one broken limb that year.

Our court was dangerous just entering or exiting, wooden walls that were never sanded/painted since it was first put up many years before, wouldn't have that these days. If our mothers only knew.....:p

Gaga is probably a lot safer onboard these days.

Archived