Blue Kay vs Maya Chan

hdavidson

We have been to Maya Chan and loved our experience although it has been 5+ years... thinking of doing the same thing but also wondered thoughts on Blue Kay... anyone been to both places recently. My husband is a non drinker, my daughter is 12 and I can throw a couple back but looking mainly for clear water, some shade, good food and more time at beach than driving around...

What are your experiences?

You can read the reviews of both in mitsugirly's signatures on any of her posts.

It easy enough to get to Blue Kay via a taxi outside the cruise port gates. 5 minute ride. A big difference is going to be the comfort of the loungers at Maya Chan versus the wooden slated ones at Blue Kay. While not limited like Maya Chan, Blue Kay has been less crowded than most malecon beach clubs since it's north of the main malecon and the tram doesn't stop there.

as stated the loungers are wooden but that is the only negative about blue key. last time we went we took a couple of cheap inflatable pool floats and they worked fine. left them for the next person to use. 3 bucks apiece. the water is beautiful, food is great and the service is prompt. its become our favorite beach stop.

Just came back from Maya Chan last week. We absolutely loved it! The people are so nice and accommodating. The tacos are too good with normal words. The chairs are wooden, but you'll get a day bed and a hammock to use as well. The water did get pretty murky towards the beach. Once you get out about 20 feet it's nice. We kayaked and hung out in their floaty chairs for a while. There was a ton of seaweed on the beach towards the end of the afternoon, despite them having one or two guys working on it most of the day. I wouldn't hesitate going back there again, but I don't have children who'd be going back and forth from the water.

How hard is it to get to blue kay and back to the cruise ship terminal?

Easy to get to Blue Kay. Pick up a taxi outside the cruise terminal. The cost for us was $2pp each way. The taxi will drop you off at the Blue Kay entrance. If a taxi is not available at Blue Kay when you get ready to leave, just walk about a block south along the Malecon and you will see the taxis waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

The water and atmosphere is amazing at Blue Kay and only about 7-8 minutes from port. Since it's a PAYG, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than an AI. I have a review with TONS of pictures of Blue Kay in my signature line to help you get a better picture. We have also done Maya Chan and although we had a decent day there, the beach and water just wasn't our thing. Murky and brownish water. I prefer the crystal blue ocean colors. But, the food and the staff and Maya Chan are top notch and very attentive. The waiter we got at Blue Kay was also super nice as well. We just prefer BK. When you are ready to head back, just tell the staff and they'll call a cab. :)

Ok . So if we go to blue Kay we do not need a reservation?

I don't want a hassle but it sounds like it might be a little prettier ( loved your pictures mitsugirly) than maya chan . We will have a few drinks and lunch ,but most likely not enough for the cost of maya chan. for the 3 of us. We went to nachi culum (?) in Cozumel 4 yrs ago and enjoyed it. Is maya chan comparable to that? I like knowing we have a reservation and that people are not going to try to steer us elsewhere if we book w maya chan.

Maya Chan has no pool, but like Nachi in Coz, they limit the # of guests.

With Blue Kay, while you don't need a reservation, if you avoid the port tram and step out and take a taxi to Blue Kay (cheaper taxi fare than to MC) there's a separate entrance to only BK before the first tram stop. You won't be hassled into going to other places nor will you have people trying to mis-direct you on Blue Kay --"it's closed"; "this is owned by the same people"; etc.

The only real down side to BK is the wooden slatted loungers. Bring your ship towels to help easy the comfort.

Adding, you can make a reservation to BK if you wish. http://www.bluekaymahahual.com/es/inicio/

English version: http://www.bluekaymahahual.com/en/about/

The only real down side to BK is the wooden slatted loungers. Bring your ship towels to help easy the comfort.

Just wondering if things have changed at Maya Chan because when we were there they had wooden slat chairs too. The only thing they had padding on was if you had one of the huts that had the bed in it (which usually meant you had to have a "bigger" party of more than 2 people).

IMG_5137-M.jpg

Here's a video of our area...they had wooden chairs for everyone.

pas1O_GTtLA

Just wondering if things have changed at Maya Chan because when we were there they had wooden slat chairs too. The only thing they had padding on was if you had one of the huts that had the bed in it (which usually meant you had to have a "bigger" party of more than 2 people).

IMG_5137-M.jpg

Here's a video of our area...they had wooden chairs for everyone.

pas1O_GTtLA

Hey, we had that area last month, and the Hammock was tan. Must've had an accident...haha.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a fee to spend a beach day at Blue Kay or is is just to do certain activities and to purchase food and drink?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we went, it was free and they just wanted you to spend money on food and drinks. However, I believe people were going there for free and then walking down the malecon and eating, so now they have enforced a $5 fee, which includes 2 (?) drinks (which is very worth it of course)...and you get to enjoy a beautiful beach, decent snorkeling if you are in to that, lounges chairs, clean restrooms and so on. :)

When we went, it was free and they just wanted you to spend money on food and drinks. However, I believe people were going there for free and then walking down the malecon and eating, so now they have enforced a $5 fee, which includes 2 (?) drinks (which is very worth it of course)...and you get to enjoy a beautiful beach, decent snorkeling if you are in to that, lounges chairs, clean restrooms and so on. :)

Sounds perfect! Thank you for the response 👍

We went there two weeks ago on your advice. Most of our group went off scuba diving with Mar Adentro divers located right beside Blue Kay, but part of our group stayed at Blue Kay while we dove. My wife was approached she said asking for $5 per person when we arrived (half of our group was not going to stay there anyway since we were going diving). I told her that she did not have to pay it and just purchase some food and drinks. They purchased nachos and a few drinks ($5 for two drink specials - blackberry margaritas). They enjoyed their day at Blue Kay and I plan on returning there again next year when we go to Costa Maya again (we are there a few more hours next time, so I hope to dive and have several hours to enjoy Blue Kay with my kids).

As for the taxis...the people trying to get you to take the tram were somewhat aggressive insisting that you could NOT take a taxi and you HAD TO take the tram only. The rest of my group was almost pulled into this con, but I continued walking about a 20 yards further than where the buses and tram was, went right outside the fence/gate and there were loads of taxis there waiting. $2 per person right to the parking lot of Blue Kay in some very nice new cabs. Thanks for the advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I plan on trying Blue Kay. If I take a taxi there, does the taxi drop off at the main street by the sign at the beginning of the dirt road and then we would have to walk towards the beach? Is there someplace in particular that I need to go to check in? I don't know where I would need to go as I don't plan on buying a day pass. I hope to just buy food and drinks and be able to use the loungers for free. I hope not to have to wander around aimlessly as hubby is disabled and unable to really walk long distances. He will be challenged as it is getting out of the port and to taxi area (will take it slow). Any detailed info and photos would be helpful. I did see Mitsugirly's review..great review by the way!

I plan on trying Blue Kay. If I take a taxi there, does the taxi drop off at the main street by the sign at the beginning of the dirt road and then we would have to walk towards the beach? Is there someplace in particular that I need to go to check in? I don't know where I would need to go as I don't plan on buying a day pass. I hope to just buy food and drinks and be able to use the loungers for free. I hope not to have to wander around aimlessly as hubby is disabled and unable to really walk long distances. He will be challenged as it is getting out of the port and to taxi area (will take it slow). Any detailed info and photos would be helpful. I did see Mitsugirly's review..great review by the way!

Taxis will drop you right in the parking lot at Blue Kay. About 20 steps and you are on the beach. We just walked in and sat down in the chairs. There was basically nobody there when we arrived and the chairs remained 75% vacant all day long the day we were there. A woman approached my wife and talked to her about the day pass. We just purchased food and drinks instead. Lovely area.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone may have already mentioned this, but we went to Blue Kay in January 2017. We took a taxi from the location outside the main port gate. We made it very clear to the taxi driver where we wanted to go and he confirmed. He spoke good English. No surprise, he drove right past Blue Key further up the beach. I told him we just passed it and he pretended like he did not know where we wanted to go. I suggest you look on google earth to have a lay of the land prior to going. I suspect the taxi drivers get a cut from bringing people to other beach clubs. When he dropped us off he went in with us and was clearly trying to negotiate a tip for bringing people there, but they did not seem to play that game. Not a big deal as long as you know how the game works. Blue Kay was decent by Costa Maya standards. It was a nice quaint little place. Not busy, not fancy, but relaxing. Drinks left a bit to be desired, but the food was pretty decent.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but we went to Blue Kay in January 2017. We took a taxi from the location outside the main port gate. We made it very clear to the taxi driver where we wanted to go and he confirmed. He spoke good English. No surprise, he drove right past Blue Key further up the beach. I told him we just passed it and he pretended like he did not know where we wanted to go. I suggest you look on google earth to have a lay of the land prior to going. I suspect the taxi drivers get a cut from bringing people to other beach clubs. When he dropped us off he went in with us and was clearly trying to negotiate a tip for bringing people there, but they did not seem to play that game. Not a big deal as long as you know how the game works. Blue Kay was decent by Costa Maya standards. It was a nice quaint little place. Not busy, not fancy, but relaxing. Drinks left a bit to be desired, but the food was pretty decent.

That's a little scary. Are you saying that you asked to be dropped off at Blue Kay but they refused (or played stupid) and dropped you off at another beach/resort? You still mention your time at Blue Kay so sounds like you could walk back to it? I would refuse to pay them if they didn't drop us off where we actually want to go.

Thanks for that bit of info. I appreciate it. If we decide to go there, I'll now know something like that might happen.

We asked him to turn around to go back once we were about two blocks past it and I started to see all the other beach clubs. When we drove by it I saw the sign, but I figured maybe the driver knew a different entrance for day guests, so I waited to say something. I have no clue where he was planning to take us. It was not a huge deal, but if we did not know any better we would have ended up spending our day somewhere else.

That's a little scary. Are you saying that you asked to be dropped off at Blue Kay but they refused (or played stupid) and dropped you off at another beach/resort? You still mention your time at Blue Kay so sounds like you could walk back to it? I would refuse to pay them if they didn't drop us off where we actually want to go.

He definitely played stupid. After telling him we just past it he turned around and dropped us off at blue kay.

He definitely played stupid. After telling him we just past it he turned around and dropped us off at blue kay.

I meant to say we just passed it, not we just past it. Now I feel like I am playing stupid...