Wait list? What does this mean???

KathyPet

Usually you have to pay $500 to put your name on the wait list. You are not guaranteed a suite. If one becomes available you will be contacted. If you turn it down or a suite never becomes available you will be refunded your money. The cheapest suites go first so your chances of obtaining a suite in that category aren't very good however you might be offered something in a higher category - for a price.

So this is different from some other cruises we have been on where if you are willing to wait for a specific cabin # to be assigned you are at the mercy of the inventory gods. You either get a cabin in your category or are offered a free or very cheap upgrade to the next category? With Regent if you are wait listed and nothing is available they simply refund you your deposit and you are not going to be sailing on that cruise?

So this is different from some other cruises we have been on where if you are willing to wait for a specific cabin # to be assigned you are at the mercy of the inventory gods. You either get a cabin in your category or are offered a free or very cheap upgrade to the next category? With Regent if you are wait listed and nothing is available they simply refund you your deposit and you are not going to be sailing on that cruise?

Kathy,

Regent calls more or less what you are describing a Guarantee. Hope this helps.

Dave

Kathy,

Regent calls more or less what you are describing a Guarantee. Hope this helps.

Dave

Yes, "Wait list" and "Guarantee" status are 2 completely different animals..

Host Dan

The first post describes a "Guarantee", while the second describes a type of wait-list. If you want a specific cabin number and it's booked, you can select another suite and be waitlisted for the one you want (which would happen if the people holding the cabin cancel).

However, in our case, we booked the lowest available cabin and waitlisted the lower one. If that cabin opens up, we will get it at its lower price. If not, we still sail.

Last year we had the same situation. Booked a cabin and when a lower one actually did open up, we got it at the lower price.

The first post describes a "Guarantee", while the second describes a type of wait-list. If you want a specific cabin number and it's booked, you can select another suite and be waitlisted for the one you want (which would happen if the people holding the cabin cancel).

No, actually the first post is a "waitlist" for a specific category. No guarantee of an assignment in that or any other category.

Host Dan

Wow, I am surprised that Regent would just let the booking go if they cannot put you in the cabin level you wait listed for. I would have thought that they would make you a deal you couldn't refuse in a higher level cabin assuming that the ship is not full.

Wow, I am surprised that Regent would just let the booking go if they cannot put you in the cabin level you wait listed for. I would have thought that they would make you a deal you couldn't refuse in a higher level cabin assuming that the ship is not full.

Sometimes they might do that. Or they might offer other pax in your desired cabin class a cheap upgrade so that there's room cleared at the lower level.

A Guaramtee is different in that they guarantee you a cabin, period, and if they decide to upgrade you, there is no charge, no deal needed, you get the original price.

Kathy, were were waitlisted for a G/H cabin on the Navigator for a Fall Foilage cruise in 2011. The ship has been sold out for some time, more than a year in advance. It cost $1,000 ($500 each) to be waitlisted. They do process the charge. Only a couple of months later there was a cancellation for a G cabin, so we took it as a "guarantee". It cost another $700 + for the deposit, rest of the fare not due until July. We must cancel by June 3 to cancel without penalty. There is an administrative charge of $100 pp to cancel after a deposit has been made. I guess we could have held out for an H, but since they were offering the G guarantee we decided to lock that in. There are no difference in the cabins - the G is on a higher deck. With a sold out ship, I would not expect them to offer us an upgrade, but you never know.

Regent does make make offers in order to release waitlisted cabins. However, the offer goes to those booked in the suites. For instance a few years ago we paid approx. $1,500 to upgrade to a Penthouse A suite from a Category D (which hooked us Penthouse's). This made room for someone to book into the category we were originally in. When we were in a Penthouse, we upgraded to a Master (a very expensive upgrade. . . . but a great experience). Of course, these are not cases of "guarantees".

I'd be leary of a guarantee of the Navigator or Voyager due to the aft vibration/noise issues.

It's not like you are kept from paying for a higher level cabin. Sorry, but how is that different from how other cruise lines handle things? As far as I know with other cruise lines as well as Regent in the case of a Guarantee, then indeed you are at the mercy of the inventory Gods but you are guaranteed a cabin.

I have noticed that sometimes at a later time the lower cabin level opens for guarantees (after having shown only "waitlist" availability).

It's not like you are kept from paying for a higher level cabin. Sorry, but how is that different from how other cruise lines handle things? As far as I know with other cruise lines as well as Regent in the case of a Guarantee, then indeed you are at the mercy of the inventory Gods but you are guaranteed a cabin.

I have noticed that sometimes at a later time the lower cabin level opens for guarantees (after having shown only "waitlist" availability).

I think that all cruise lines handle Guarantees the same. But, not sure if they all make offers to those holding existing cabins in order to allow a previously waitlisted category to open up. You can certainly pay for any available category, however, this may be too expensive for some people. IMO, what Regent is doing is good for themselves as well as their passengers. They are receiving full fare (or whatever fare they are asking -- usually 2 for 1) for the suite. The person receiving the offer for an upper cabin is getting a deal and Regent is filling a suite that would have been left vacant. Then, they are able to get full fare for the vacated suite. Since these offers happen fairly last minute, it is a no-lose situation for Regent. They are filling their Master Suites, Seven Seas Suites, etc. Whatever they receive for them is more than if they were vacant.

OK so bear with me now cause this gets complicated. I am booked on a Oceania Barcelona to Rome 10 day cruise leaving 10/15/11. I am in the lowest level Penthouse cabin because their other cabins are just too small for me to deal with. Total fare is $12600 which includes R/T airfare. I looked at the same cruise with Regent leaving on 9/3 but the cost was $15600 in the lowest level cabin. Today I got a E Mail from Regent and now in addition to including the airfare, gratuities, shore excursions and wine/liquor in the cruise cost they are also throwing in a "free" one night stay in Barcelona prior to the cruise and transfers from airport/hotel and hotel/ship. We were planning to fly in one day early anyway and a good quality hotel in Barcelona appears to run about $300.00. So now when I add up all the things Regent gives you including this one night stay and transfers that you pay for on Oceania Regent actually becomes the better deal by about $800.00 in the H cabin on Regent. I am using $376.00 for Oceania transfers. $270.00 for gratuties on Oceania which are actual figures and estimating $2300 in shore excursion costs using the Oceania brochure, $500.00 in wine and liquor and $300.00 for the hotel room in Barcelona. This brings the Oceania cruise to about $16300 vs $15600 for Regent. THe problem is that the Level H cabins on the Regent cruise are "wait listed". So I am thinking about giving Regent the $500.00 each to wait list us in a H level on the Regent cruise and keeping our reservation intact for Oceania. Final Payment for both cruises is due 91 days prior to sailing but the Oceania Cruise final payment day is 7/15 and the Regent date is 6/3 so I am thinking that I will have a answer on the Regent sailing in time to cancel Oceania without any penalty. Does anyone see any pitfalls in doing this???

Kathypet,

I just went to Regent website and saw the difference between Cat H and G for your cruise is $400PP , $800 total. So that makes your fare in Cat G $16,400 vs your estimate total cost on Oceania of $16,300, basically the same. For me this would be a no brainer . I would book the Cat G on Regent Mariner, selecting a specific cabin (on Mariner some cabins have a big walk in shower and others a bathtub w/shower) but ask to be placed on the wait list for a cheaper Cat H. I would cancel out of Oceania since for the same price I would rather go on Regent . Even if you get a PH, the space to pax ratio of the Oceania ship is lower than Regent. I have never sailed on Oceania, so I am going here basically on the physical attributes of the ships and the fact that we have sailed several times on Regent, most recently on Mariner, with great experiences on all.

Kathypet,

Another thing... On Regent although final payment is 90 days before cruise date , you enter the penalty period 120 days before cruise date. It used to be $400 penalty if you canceled between 120-90 days but it is now 15% of the total. I don't know how they handle that in Oceania.

Kathypet,

Another thing... On Regent although final payment is 90 days before cruise date , you enter the penalty period 120 days before cruise date. It used to be $400 penalty if you canceled between 120-90 days but it is now 15% of the total. I don't know how they handle that in Oceania.

There is no cancellation fee on Oceania as long as one cancels before final payment. This is different than Regent. Kathy will be safe waiting to see how the Regent booking goes before canceling Oceania.

I concur about booking a higher category. In fact, if no "G" was available, I would go to an "F" or even an "E", even though that would cost more than Oceania. As much as I love Oceania, I'm willing to pay a little more for a Regent cruise just because the whole concept of "all inclusive" is so comfortable.

... and estimating $2300 in shore excursion costs using the Oceania brochure

Just a small counter point, I wouldn't assume that the excursion costs on Regent will be zero.

Many good excursions are indeed free but many great excursions are not so take a look at the ones you want to do then see what the real difference here turns out to be.

Just a small counter point, I wouldn't assume that the excursion costs on Regent will be zero.

Many good excursions are indeed free but many great excursions are not so take a look at the ones you want to do then see what the real difference here turns out to be.

True. We are paying a whopping $200 for excursions on our upcoming 7-day Caribbean! Of course, if you go for the really big ticket excursions like flights to another city for the day, or helicopter rides, you're talking serious money.

Archived