Shark/manta ray excursion on Moorea

Petoonya

Many years ago before they were so popular I did one of these on Moorea off Windsong. It was amazing as it seemed there were literally hundreds of them as soon as we got off the boat. I've checked out several now on Tripadvisor and there seem to be many tour operators doing them but from photos, none of them seem to have the vast numbers of fish like I saw 20+years ago. Realize with growth there have been some major ecological changes over the years, but wondering if anyone has a recommendation?

Can only do this on Moorea, not Bora Bora.

• 2 months later...
Many years ago before they were so popular I did one of these on Moorea off Windsong. It was amazing as it seemed there were literally hundreds of them as soon as we got off the boat. I've checked out several now on Tripadvisor and there seem to be many tour operators doing them but from photos, none of them seem to have the vast numbers of fish like I saw 20+years ago. Realize with growth there have been some major ecological changes over the years, but wondering if anyone has a recommendation?

Can only do this on Moorea, not Bora Bora.

There are tours similar to this on Bora Bora as well, for sure. We've done one from the Paul Gauguin several times. And on Moorea.

As for Moorea, yes things will have changed (BB too). The coral is degraded. Everywhere. Our first trip there was more than 16 years ago, and the coral has died off considerably since that time (last there in 2014.)

I'm surprised you saw hundreds of manta rays. They are the big ones, often solitary, quite rare. Do you mean stingrays? If so, yes, there will still be lots of them and lots of black-tipped sharks on such an excursion. Can't recommend a particular operator.

• 2 weeks later...