Teenage Kids & Picky Eaters

butterfly2001

I've looked for a thread but couldn't find much. I'm interested in knowing what is available on the kids menu in the Main Dining Room. I have a 13 and an 11 year old, one of which is extremely picky. Just curious if anyone knows what options would be available. Thank so much in advance.

* Edited to add, we will be on the Carnival Conquest in August.

Edited by butterfly2001

A child will NOT "starve themselves"....so no need to worry about that! But..there are chicken fingers, and PBJ and mac and cheese....burgers, hot dogs, etc....

My son was "picky" until he went on his own and got hungry from "lack of money".....and when offered something to eat...guess what....he found he liked it! He's quite the adventurous eater now. Sometimes, it pays to let them "tough it out"....if they get hungry enough, the WILL try new foods!

Our friends did a Carnival cruise last spring with their six children, three of whom I would describe as "extremely picky". The kids did fine, they sort of grazed all day on the poolside food and the pizza such that how much they ate for dinner wasn't really a big deal. On a few of the nights the kids liked the adult entree choices better, and their waiter allowed them to order a few adult meals for the kiddos and brought plates so they could easily split them. My friend said that even her pickiest was well fed and contented throughout the cruise.

I was glad to hear that from my friend OCruisers - my kids don't like "kid food" but will try all sorts of things off the adult menu. My husband and I have cruised several times before but this is our first time bringing the kids along.

Good to hear from you as well ... my friend! :)

When our children were still cruising with us, they always ordered from the adult menu.

Mine have both had bouts of "picky" and cruising has been wonderful. We didn't use the kids menu because it is so carb/junk based. Every night they have a steak, grilled chicken, grilled fish and pork chop available. You can add on veggies and potato or Mac n cheese as sides. A fruit plate is always an appetizer option - it may not be on the menu but they can bring it if you ask.

But they also have chilled fruit soups, fried shrimp, and other nibbles that can be tried off the appetizer menu.

Making them order off the regular menu was a wonderful opportunity for them to expand their tastes - and if they were hungry after, pizza and deli are open way late and they could have a snack. Plus there is room service...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by A&Jfamily

To everyone that says "a kid won't starve," mine will. Or at least get close enough they are so miserable you will feed them ANYTHING they want. That said we have always been able to find at least cheese and bread for a sandwich.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Thank you! My daughter is the same way. My main issue was if we eat in the Main Dining Room. I was curious to find if there was "something' that she would eat from the menu. Otherwise she would be sitting there with nothing to eat.

There are plenty of other options that she will eat other locations of the ship, but I was just curious about the MDR.

Thank you! My daughter is the same way. My main issue was if we eat in the Main Dining Room. I was curious to find if there was "something' that she would eat from the menu. Otherwise she would be sitting there with nothing to eat.

There are plenty of other options that she will eat other locations of the ship, but I was just curious about the MDR.

What does she eat? We can tell you what is available...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To everyone that says "a kid won't starve," mine will. Or at least get close enough they are so miserable you will feed them ANYTHING they want. That said we have always been able to find at least cheese and bread for a sandwich.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

No offense, its because they know you will bail them out............

My 12 year old is somewhat picky, but I will tell him, you must pick something out. We were out for Chinese food, he sneered at me for having to go. Sure, enough, he figured it out, chicken and peapods, no sauce.

We had lots of long nights of him sitting at the dinner table to get that far. I stopped letting them eat separate meals by age 7. Lots of "try bites" and arguments but it helped!

Kids menu has, pasta with red sauce, chicken nuggets, pizza, pb and j, grilled cheese, and I think a hamburger. We just returned last week from cruising with our 15 month old that is allergic to dairy. We ordered him something from the kids menu maybe 2/3 nights out of 7. He is very picky but had no problem eating what we ordered except on one night but he might have been just been full by the time the entree got there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums