Can you wear casual clothes (jeans and t shirt/polo) on QM2?

BoiiMcFly

Sorry if this has been asked numerous times before, but how strict are they when it comes to dress code? My wife and I mostly wear casual clothes so we wanted to find out how the whole formal format works. Also, are only certain nights formal or every night? TIA.

Not sure what you're asking.

The Dress code is the Dress Code. That's it.

It will be enforced (hopefully) and you must comply.

Please do more research and you will find that Cunard operate a traditional and conservative approach to the whole subject.

On a TA there will be 3 nights a week formal, and on a Cruise it'll be 2 nights per week.

You may dress casual in the Smash and Grab, but certainly not in any of the restaurants.

If you find it too onerous, then there still might be time to cancel, otherwise, comply and have fun.

Stewart

In answer to the title of your thread - yes, you can wear jeans and polo shirt or tee shirt DURING THE DAY. After 6pm, there is either an informal or formal dress code which is clearly stated on the Cunard website or your travel documents. I admit that while I like to dress up (and will do on our upcoming cruise) I much prefer to be slightly less "dressed up" in order to wander the ship or attend a show.

On the other cruises we have been on it has been totally acceptable for my husband to have dress trousers and shirt but no jacket for both dinner and a show. He could also walk from one part of the ship to another or get a drink while not wearing a jacket. I'm pretty sure this upcoming cruise will be our one and only on Cunard. It is something I've always wanted to do but once done I think there are other cruise companies that are a better fit for us :)

Having said that, I totally "get" why Cunard has the dress code and I like that they are carrying on the tradition.

In answer to the title of your thread - yes, you can wear jeans and polo shirt or tee shirt DURING THE DAY. After 6pm, there is either an informal or formal dress code which is clearly stated on the Cunard website or your travel documents. I admit that while I like to dress up (and will do on our upcoming cruise) I much prefer to be slightly less "dressed up" in order to wander the ship or attend a show.

On the other cruises we have been on it has been totally acceptable for my husband to have dress trousers and shirt but no jacket for both dinner and a show. He could also walk from one part of the ship to another or get a drink while not wearing a jacket. I'm pretty sure this upcoming cruise will be our one and only on Cunard. It is something I've always wanted to do but once done I think there are other cruise companies that are a better fit for us :)

Having said that, I totally "get" why Cunard has the dress code and I like that they are carrying on the tradition.

Thanks for the info. So even informal nights do not allow casual clothing? What about in the buffet? And yes, when it comes to dress code, RC or Norwegian is probably more up our alley, but I feel like no cruise ship can capture the elegant vibe that the QM2 exudes (and we haven't even been on her yet.) I can respect the traditional ocean liner customs they have kept, and we do look forward to dressing up and stepping out of our ordinary day to day clothing (as long as it's not every day :D). I believe being aboard the QM2 must be quite a unique experience. Then again, being on any cruise ship must be a great experience. We have heard so many good things about Mary, and are very excited to have her as one of our options. I wish you guys a great time aboard her as well.

Edited by BoiiMcFly

Thanks for the info. So even informal nights do not allow casual clothing? What about in the buffet? And yes, when it comes to dress code, RC or Norwegian is probably more up our alley, but I feel like no cruise ship can capture the elegant vibe that the QM2 exudes (and we haven't even been on her yet.) I can respect the traditional ocean liner customs they have kept, and we do look forward to dressing up and stepping out of our ordinary day to day clothing (as long as it's not every day :D). I believe being aboard the QM2 must be quite a unique experience. Then again, being on any cruise ship must be a great experience. We have heard so many good things about Mary, and are very excited to have her as one of our options. I wish you guys a great time aboard her as well.

I agree totally with what you just said. Have you never cruised before? Cunard does seem to have the strictest dress code but then that is one of the main things that attracts people to the ships. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get agreement on what you can wear after 6pm in the buffet. I am thinking jeans and polo are OK in the buffet and adjoining lounge. Informal on Cunard really means "less formal". You still need dress pants, shirt and jacket for a man and cocktail type clothing for the woman.

Thanks for the info. So even informal nights do not allow casual clothing? What about in the buffet?
You can dress casually in the buffet and the Carinthia Lounge (QM2) or Winter Garden (QE or QV) but wrt to jeans, note the following
Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.
https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Sorry if this has been asked numerous times before, but how strict are they when it comes to dress code? My wife and I mostly wear casual clothes so we wanted to find out how the whole formal format works. Also, are only certain nights formal or every night? TIA.

Check out Cunard site re dress codes and no shorts anywhere on the ship after 6pm. Except your cabin of course lol.

I agree totally with what you just said. Have you never cruised before? Cunard does seem to have the strictest dress code but then that is one of the main things that attracts people to the ships. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get agreement on what you can wear after 6pm in the buffet. I am thinking jeans and polo are OK in the buffet and adjoining lounge. Informal on Cunard really means "less formal". You still need dress pants, shirt and jacket for a man and cocktail type clothing for the woman.

I've cruised once so far, but I was 7 years old so I don't remember much. I am very excited to get back on a ship, and especially on the only true ocean liner left. Ok yes I figured that their version of informal would be nowhere near our version of casual. I suppose we will have to go clothes shopping for our trip! When are you sailing the Queen Mary?

Hi - no we are not sailing Queen Mary (sadly) but on Queen Elizabeth... not a liner but a cruise ship. Never mind, I'm sure it will still be an absolute thrill. I too have been out shopping to make sure we are all correctly kitted out for our time on the ship. Just bought more trousers for the man and an evening top for me. I think we are ready... just over a week to go and I'm pretty excited!

[bold is mine] The elegance of QM2 (or QE and QV) comes only partly from the ship itself. The passengers who dress according to the dress code are definitely part of that ambiance. If we all walked around QM2 in shorts and flipflops at night, there would be no elegant vibe.

[bold is mine] The elegance of QM2 (or QE and QV) comes only partly from the ship itself. The passengers who dress according to the dress code are definitely part of that ambiance. If we all walked around QM2 in shorts and flipflops at night, there would be no elegant vibe.

I totally get that - it is exactly why I want to experience this myself! My point is really that when I go on another extended cruise, I want to be able to relax a little more without my partner having to wear a jacket etc in the evening. We found that on Oceania, which has no formal dress code and a more relaxed informal dress code, everyone was still elegantly dressed. The difference being that in the heat of a Mediterranean summer, especially on port intensive days, the more relaxed dress code made for a much more relaxing holiday.

I love that Cunard stays true to it's formal dress and I'm certainly looking forward to dressing up each evening!

I've cruised once so far, but I was 7 years old so I don't remember much. I am very excited to get back on a ship, and especially on the only true ocean liner left. Ok yes I figured that their version of informal would be nowhere near our version of casual. I suppose we will have to go clothes shopping for our trip! When are you sailing the Queen Mary?

Hi there McFly.

Having read down this thread and spotted your statement on 3rd February..." but my irrational anxiety disorder is making me overthink everything..." I really feel Cunard is not for you

My best advice would be to save your money, especially on new clothes which may never get another airing, and head off where you will feel more comfortable. Royal Caribbean or Norwegian could be just up your street.

Edited by Solent Richard

You make it sound like a 1950's boarding school, no wonder so many people are anxious about cruising with Cunard.

DAVID.

On the contrary, it's what the majority of Cunard Cruisers want.

Others aspire in order to tick it off in their cruising task book.

:rolleyes:

Agreed, that's definitely a big part of it as well. We look forward to that part as well, it is definitely something different for us.

Hi - no we are not sailing Queen Mary (sadly) but on Queen Elizabeth... not a liner but a cruise ship. Never mind, I'm sure it will still be an absolute thrill. I too have been out shopping to make sure we are all correctly kitted out for our time on the ship. Just bought more trousers for the man and an evening top for me. I think we are ready... just over a week to go and I'm pretty excited!

The Queen Elizabeth looks very nice as well, then again all the Cunard ships do. Have a blast!

Hi there McFly.

Having read down this thread and spotted your statement on 3rd February..." but my irrational anxiety disorder is making me overthink everything..." I really feel Cunard is not for you

My best advice would be to save your money, especially on new clothes which may never get another airing, and head off where you will feel more comfortable. Royal Caribbean or Norwegian could be just up your street.

Thank you for the advice, we are still deciding. We definitely want to try Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Celebrity, and maybe HAL. But I have always been fascinated by Queen Mary 2 and ocean liners in general. I find the traditional customs interesting and would love to participate. I am sure I can find certain occasions that will allow me to re-use the clothes we purchase. But whatever cruise we choose we will approach with a positive mindset and the excitement that is building up within me. It is time to overcome those irrational fears ;)

Thank you for the advice, we are still deciding. We definitely want to try Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Celebrity, and maybe HAL. But I have always been fascinated by Queen Mary 2 and ocean liners in general. I find the traditional customs interesting and would love to participate. I am sure I can find certain occasions that will allow me to re-use the clothes we purchase. But whatever cruise we choose we will approach with a positive mindset and the excitement that is building up within me. It is time to overcome those irrational fears ;)

May the Force be with you.

I would not want to violate any dress codes in the designated restaurants, dances, etc. as I wouldn't want to break any ambiance fellow passengers paid for. However, I have a somewhat different question to the OP:

Can you wear casual clothes for the entire trip and still have enough amenities available to you? By casual clothes, I mean khaki shorts and a sleeved plain t-shirt or polo by day, and at night the same except for khaki pants instead of shorts?

I ask because the dress code shared before about the Kings Court and a garden lounge bar being casual at night also states people with casual attire should not use other areas of the ship. Presumably, you can walk the hallways to get to the listed destinations but are there movie shows, observation decks, or areas of the ship that you can use in casual attire (khaki pants, polo or button down shirt) after 6pm? Or is it just the King's Court and your room?

During the day are there non-formal activities other than by the pool?

BTW, for those who say to casual dress passengers should just take another cruise...that isn't really an option if you need the QM2 for transatlantic transportation during certain timeframes. For medical reasons I can't fly, and would love to take a repositioning cruise to Europe. Repositioning cruises are only one-way, and I can't afford to live in Europe or the UK for 4 months waiting for a return cruise. The QM2 is the only non-flight transportation other than freighter ships that I have been able to find. And the latter don't offer passages at the appropriate time, nor from the UK to US in May.

My goal is a repositioning cruise to get to the UK, spend a few weeks traveling in the UK, and then return to the US on the QM2. However, I am not comfortable in formal attire (and really don't want to buy any to transport around for 5-6 weeks just for limited use on the QM2).

Hello Weatherwimp: As has been said you would be able to participate in all day time activities and eat in all the restaurants as well! I understand your dilemma after 6 pm. Is it possible to get a suit from a second hand store very cheaply or a cheap jacket and trousers? There are also incredibly cheap options now in shops. No need for anything expensive, no one will judge you on where it was purchased. This would at least allow you into the dining rooms and shows etc. You could even donate these clothes to charity at the end of your voyage so you don't need to carry them around.

Failing that you can eat at the buffet, relax in the adjoining lounge or get room service. I have been told here previously that during dinner hours you can order off the restaurant menu for room service.

I hope this works out well for you :)

You make it sound like a 1950's boarding school, no wonder so many people are anxious about cruising with Cunard.

DAVID.

And what is wrong with a 1950's boarding school. At least the Cunard ships have private baths in all of the cabins and hot water to boot.