Preschoolers in Alaska

gluecksbaer

I'm looking for things to do in port with my 4 year olds in Alaska. We will be in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Also, anything relatively quick to do in Victoria BC (as we arrive in the evening when it's close to bedtime anyway and may just stay on the ship).

My mother-in-law decided that she's taking the family on a cruise, but we're already $1000 into this "paid for" vacation so I want to spend as little as possible on the ship and in ports.

I would love suggestions for:

1) Anything fun for kids that we could reasonably walk to in any of the ports. (We will have umbrella strollers for the kids. So a reasonable walk for adults.)

Things where we could experience Alaska at their level would be great, but knowing where a nice little park is would be helpful too.

2) Any excursion that would absolutely be worth finding the money for and you just wouldn't miss.

3) MIL has declared that she's hanging out with us in port as the rest of the family will want to do things like kayaking. It sounded like she already had some "great ideas" about what we could do together but she often forgets what life with little ones is like. I would love any warnings about popular Alaska excursions that you wouldn't take preschoolers on. (MIL is older and not in the best of health. So I'm more asking about things that would bore young children. MIL would already be avoiding anything too physically taxing for them.)

I am sure you will get plenty of replies, as I have seen many people take their younger children to Alaska; however, I wanted to point you to this thread - a family from Australia just finished their cruise on Royal Caribbean with their 5 and 8 year old, and are posting a nice review - thought it might be useful. Also, if you head over to the Disney forum, there is a very detailed review from last year with loads and loads of pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221528

With little kids, I assume you use your public library frequently...most moms do! Check out a guidebook on Alaska....so much info in there....you can see ALL the stuff avail. and make your decisions based on what interests you!

If MIL starts with the, "I paid for it, you do as I say" stuff....it's u[ to your HUBBY to set her straight!!!

The thing that comes immediately to mind is the lumberjack show in Ketchikan. It's lots of fun for kids and is right in town across from the cruise ship dock. We are doing that with our kids (5 and 8) in August. Creek street is also fun for kids to watch the salmon in the river from the bridge.

There is a park with a playground right in town in Skagway that we have taken our kids to before. It's just off of the main street a few blocks into town. It's called Mollie Walsh park if I remember correctly. Haven't done it before but, we are going to to the dog sledding tour in Skagway this time which sounds like fun with the kids. I would avoid the train in Skagway with young kids. We've done it alone before and enjoyed it, but it would have been miserable with pre-school aged kids.

In Juneau the Mt. Roberts tram is easy to do with kids as is the tour to Mendenhall Glacier. There is also a place called Glacier Gardens which our kids enjoyed, but not stroller friendly at all. There is also a park with a playground that we have gone to that is fairly close to the ships, but a bit of a walk. It's called Cope park and you walk past the old governors mansion on the way there which is kind of neat.

In Victoria a fun quick thing to do with kids is a horse drawn carriage ride. You will find them right in the Inner Harbor next to the Parliament building. It's a really nice 15-20 min walk into town from the cruise ship dock or they usually run a shuttle as well.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestion! I feel like I have a starting point now. Although I'd love any ideas anyone else has too.

cb at sea: A world where mother's of small children get to hang out at the library sounds like Fantasyland to me. Most of the time I can barely get to the store to buy groceries. But I've already done a lot of reading online. I was looking for advice from other parents that wouldn't necessarily be in a guidebook. Like I haven't checked out one for Alaska, but no guidebook I've read has listed where the local parks are located (unless a particular park is a major tourist attraction for some reason). Also, the railway in Skagway is listed as good for families but c-cruise isn't the first I've seen to suggest it's not great for kids. That's the kind of advice I want. My MIL isn't so much pushy as just thoughtless. So she'll say "The kids will love this" without realizing that they will be be driving everyone crazy bored for all but 10 or 15 minutes.

One of our Alaska trips with with a 1 and 3 year old-great fun was had by all.

We did the train in Skagway and some totem pole place in Ketchican.

Walked around and saw sights in Juneau-even found a local playground. Did the tram on one trip and there was even a tiny bit of snow which delighted the kiddos!

We found at ages 6 and under kids are generally fine as long as they are with their parents and something "special" comes there way at some point (as great as a dog sled ride, or as small as an ice cream bar)

In Victoria we like the Butchart Gardens.

Edited by Lerin

If you're interested in dog sledding, there are several tours doing summer training. The sleds use wheels. Almost all include some puppy time. The sledders encourage you to play with the pups.

Edited by SadieN

In Ketchikan you can take the local bus to the Totem pole park, a more cost effective way to see the area. This was offered as an excursion from our ship, but by taking the local bus instead of the tour bus, it is more affordable, and we got to talk to some of the locals on the bus and learned more about life in Alaska.

Google Alaska with small children and there is tons of information on trip advisor and Fodor's. The port of call forums have a lot of information. All the cities that you are traveling to have travel websites with lots of suggestions, you just need to google each city.

It is wonderful that your "thoughtless" MIL is taking your whole family on a cruise. If you are so overwhelmed with your 4 year olds already, maybe you would be better off waiting to go on a cruise when they are a little older. If a trip to the library or grocery store is so difficult, a cruise is going to be impossible.

It is wonderful that your "thoughtless" MIL is taking your whole family on a cruise. If you are so overwhelmed with your 4 year olds already, maybe you would be better off waiting to go on a cruise when they are a little older. If a trip to the library or grocery store is so difficult, a cruise is going to be impossible.

For the record, I didn't mean thoughtless in the sense you decided to take it. I meant that a previous poster took my concern about my MIL suggesting excursions that are not good for kids as her being pushy about them and me needing my husband to step in. So my reply was an attempt to clarify that she doesn't always remember what is interesting or boring to kids and I'm concerned without any experience myself that I won't know when to say "that's not as great of an idea as you think it is." Thoughtless may not have been the best word but I think most people would have understood what I meant reading it in context.

I am not overwhelmed with my 4-year-olds. I simply have insufficient time around my work schedule to hang out at libraries. (Or grocery stores for that matter but I was annoyed by the presumption that all moms of young children have time to hang out and play during their public library's open hours--grocery stores have better hours so that was a bit of an exaggeration but finding the time can still be a challenge.) Last summer we took our kids on Amtrak from California to Seattle. When they were two years old we took the train from California to Washington, DC (3 days each way). Since there is far less to do on a train and the rooms are way smaller, I think we'll be fine on a cruise.

Although if I had any real say in the matter we would absolutely not be going on a cruise this summer. Under the circumstances, I'm trying to make this the best trip possible. So I asked for advice from other parents on points I wasn't finding in my online research. I've gotten some great advice. And now I've gotten the Cruise Critic required judgmental response as well. I guess that means this thread is complete.

We're also doing an Alaska cruise with a preschooler (age 4) this summer, as well as with a 10 year old. I love some of the suggestions here, but I have a couple of questions.

How are people getting their children that young on dog sled excursions? We really, really wanted to do that, and all of them require age 5 and above when booked through the cruise line, except maybe one of the helicopter to the glacier ones. (And there is no way we are getting two members of our party onto a helicopter; they are frightened of them.) I emailed at least one of them directly to see if they could take a 4 year old if we booked directly with them, and never got a response. My son has said that since his little sister can't do the dogsled with him, he's willing to do the goldpanning and salmon bake instead.

Our current plans are based on a combination of one previous trip (without children, many years ago), and advice we've found online. We're doing very kid friendly things in general, but I've found there is a lot a 4 year old can't do on an Alaska trip.

Ketchikan - we've booked the Lumberjack Show for our entire family. This is not really my style, but it looks great for the kids. We're then taking our son on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour, which looks great for older kids, but our 4 year old can't do. My mother and the 4 year old are going to walk around town and look at totem poles, and go to the Totem Heritage Center. Assuming we have enough time when we get back, we'll also take our son to the Totem Heritage Center and the Salmon Hatchery.

Skagway - We're doing a ship excursion to a wildlife center. It may be a long day for our 4 year old, but we're all excited about it.

Juneau - This is where we wanted to do dog sledding, but haven't been able to find anyone who would take a 4 year old on the excursion. So right now we're planning on the Gold Panning and Salmon Bake excursion. The kids are excited about it.

Victoria - We are going at night, too, and so we're going to do the gardens, but not the butterfly center. I really wanted to do the butterfly center, but then I realized we get in in the evening, so I chose the shorter excursion. Our daughter may sleep on the way over or back, but I think she'll enjoy the gardens. I think there are supposed to be fireworks that night, too.

Not sure what hours you will be in Victoria but this might meet both young and old criteria. You can easily spend hours in there. The kids will gawk, MIL might enjoy the history and the expertise of building them.

http://miniatureworld.com/

It is in the back of the Empress hotel (okay the side). You can walk into town (I wouldn't walk that far with the little ones unless you had a stroller), take a taxi or take the trolley. The taxi will probably run you under $10. I don't remember what it was a few years ago but cheap enough for the ease.

How are people getting their children that young on dog sled excursions?

The one we are looking at is in Skagway. It's more of a dog sled demonstration as you don't actually ride on the sleds. I am sure that is where the age restriction comes in on some of the tours.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the ideas and suggestion! I feel like I have a starting point now. Although I'd love any ideas anyone else has too.

My 3-almost-4-year old really enjoyed the Mt. Roberts Tramway (we rode it a couple of times because she wanted to do it again, and it's an all day pass) as well as the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan. I brought a stroller for her baby brother, but I wish I'd brought one for her. Even as close as the stuff was to walk to, she complained pretty bitterly about walking when he could ride.

At the top of the Mt. Roberts Tramway there's an injured bald eagle on display, as well as a cool bald eagle nest my kids loved climbing in (it's huge).

We took the train in Skagway, but my daughter stayed on the ship in the kids' club. At that price, I don't think she would have enjoyed it enough to justify paying for her. It was great for my older kids (10 and 12).

Edited by giselleacttwo

Oh, and in Canada my kids' favorite activity was going to the grocery store and buying Canadian candy. I think the candy and the potato chip aisle (for novel flavors and varieties) are always a top destination for my kids whenever we travel out of the country.

Thanks for the ideas although I'll be skipping the Tramway as I'm scared of heights. I was considering the train as my kids love train rides but thinking we'll skip for the same reason. But my MIL has decided that she's paying for all of our excursions so that gives us more flexibility. (Although apparently just ours and not her other children's so Hello Family Drama : )

We have two umbrella strollers with links to join them in necessary. And with my duo I never travel anywhere without straps to contain them if they aren't listening.

Not sure at this point if we're getting off the ship in Victoria. But checking out the snacks is a great idea if we do.

Victoria - Miniatures museum. Tiny models, dolls' houses, etc. Google it for closing time (9pm when I was there) and to see if it might interest your children.

Thanks. Someone else provided a link in this thread as well. But we don't get in to Victoria until 6pm so that's why I'm not sure we'll even get off the ship. If we do it will probably be just to walk around for a little bit. By the time we manage to get anywhere else it will be bedtime.

For the record, I didn't mean thoughtless in the sense you decided to take it. I meant that a previous poster took my concern about my MIL suggesting excursions that are not good for kids as her being pushy about them and me needing my husband to step in. So my reply was an attempt to clarify that she doesn't always remember what is interesting or boring to kids and I'm concerned without any experience myself that I won't know when to say "that's not as great of an idea as you think it is." Thoughtless may not have been the best word but I think most people would have understood what I meant reading it in context.

I am not overwhelmed with my 4-year-olds. I simply have insufficient time around my work schedule to hang out at libraries. (Or grocery stores for that matter but I was annoyed by the presumption that all moms of young children have time to hang out and play during their public library's open hours--grocery stores have better hours so that was a bit of an exaggeration but finding the time can still be a challenge.) Last summer we took our kids on Amtrak from California to Seattle. When they were two years old we took the train from California to Washington, DC (3 days each way). Since there is far less to do on a train and the rooms are way smaller, I think we'll be fine on a cruise.

Although if I had any real say in the matter we would absolutely not be going on a cruise this summer. Under the circumstances, I'm trying to make this the best trip possible. So I asked for advice from other parents on points I wasn't finding in my online research. I've gotten some great advice. And now I've gotten the Cruise Critic required judgmental response as well. I guess that means this thread is complete.

I too find the judgemental/sarcastic/pointless posting frustrating and unhelpful. As a parent of a young child I know exactly the kind of info you wanted. I've asked for similar help other ports and got the same sort of response.

I've been on the exact itinerary that you are going on but was unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately :)) before we had our daughter. My only additional suggestion is whale watching. We did it out of Juneau. We didn't book ahead just booked it on shore when we got there (could be a gamble as there may not be spaces but also means you wouldn't need to commit in advance). It was a fantastic trip as we saw many whales and other wildlife and being on a smaller faster boat was fun too. I appreciate this might not be suitable for all 4 years - I know some who'd love it and others who'd be hard work so just another thing to consider.

I hope you have a fantastic trip whatever happens. X

In Victoria- there usually is a night time excursion to Buchart Gardens and it is beautiful and a great place for the kids to explore. Loved it there.

In Skagway- I've done two interesting excursions. The dog sled one is really great. It's about a 20-30 minute ride to get there and there are lots of dogs to pet and is suitable for kids four and up. The other one is less expensive and closer to the ship- it includes holding iditarod pups, going in a 40 below room, panning for gold and drinking home made micro beer. It was fun and a short interesting excursion (for older kids).

In Juneau- you can take the funicular up to the top of the mountain, which is interesting.

In Ketchikan- I enjoy shopping there, and tasting some of the samples of salmon. Load up there on the smoked sockeye salmon (great mixed with cream cheese and used as a spread).

Enjoyed the information but not the judgements. Any way, we are doing the same cruise in just about ten days. I guess I am the MIL, at least for our two SILs. It's DH and I, our two daughters, their DHs, two 5-yr-old boys and a 7-yr-old girl.

We have confirmed plans for Juneau and Skagway, rest we'll do as we go. Thinking Ketchikan we'll do the lumberjack show, though I've heard that kids like the "duck" tours, too. Definitely the salmon ladder and Creek Street.

In Juneau I booked whale watching for the four adult kids while DH and I will take the grands to the tramway or glacier. In Skagway I've booked a private van for the nine of us to the Yukon which includes stop with the sled dogs.

We also have the evening stop in Victoria. A friend who did that last year with her family said they enjoyed walking the waterfront and taking a water taxi back. Lots of street performers.

We'll have a night in Seattle prior to the cruise so have looked into things for our brief time there. Pike Place early Friday for sure.

One of my major concerns is what the kids will do on the sea days. We're on Celebrity which isn't great for their kids programs. The 5-yr-olds are supposed to be in the 3-5 group and I just can't see them with the 3's. We'll be taking some board games, etc. but would appreciate suggestions. We're only 10 days away!

If you are so overwhelmed with your 4 year olds already, maybe you would be better off waiting to go on a cruise when they are a little older. If a trip to the library or grocery store is so difficult, a cruise is going to be impossible.

I can see why you'd think that, but I have always said that I would rather fly across the country with my twins than go to the grocery store (I don't see a lot of parents with two small kids at the grocery store - I'm guessing most parents don't think it's easy or fun and arrange to go by themselves whenever possible). I know exactly where this mom is coming from and a cruise was the best holiday to just enjoy my kids.

T

o the OP -

In Juneau the trail to the glacier is perfect for kids and not easy for them to wander off - really a perfect way for them to run off some energy, play on the rocks, throw stones in the water, etc. And the fee for the r/t tram isn't bad.

In Ketchikan we rented a car - very easy to do and reasonable. I thought about the public bus, but read some reviews that the waits can be long if there's more than one ship in town and I'll do anything to avoid a wait with kids. The totem pole park is another great place where kids can run, explore, play, climb and throw stones in the water (something our group of kids loved). There's also a park in Ketchikan just off the main road that has a playground, circular trail through the forest and, yes, a lake to throw stones at.

Skagway we rented a car and drove to the suspension bridge, which our 8 year olds loved, but not so much for the smaller one. The walk into the cute town and playground could be a good economical choice here.

Alaska is a fantastic choice for kids since the port days can involve lots of exploring, playing, etc. And on the ship there's someone else doing all your cooking, cleaning and meal prep! Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

We brought our 2 year old to Alaska last year. In Juneau, our excursion was rained out and we couldn't get onto any of the others we thought we would like to try. Walked to Tracy's crab shack instead and the toddler loved the crab. In Skagway we did a private tour with Trail of 98 and went to Emerald Lake. We stopped by the mush camp and they did let our 2 year old get onto the sled for a 20 min ride. She had great fun, and also enjoyed patting the puppies. We did a plane trip in Ketchikan with Island Wings and our daughter did not have the best of times as she would not sit still, so we would not recommend that for a pre-schooler.