Stuck between 2 cruises.

dltaeg

Hey, first time posting so I appoligise if its in the wrong place.

We (me 26, husband 26, father in law 51, son 6, son 4 and daughter 1) went on a 4 night RC (Independence) in oct 2014 and loved it. We are now wanting to book out next cruise for 2016 and we are stuck between 2 choices.

Choice 1 - Disney Magic, 29th May (School hols) for 7 nights round norway. Goes from Southampton (UK) so no flights.

Choice 2 - RC Harmony, 28th Aug (Will miss 2 days of school) for 7 night round Italy/France/Spain. We will have to fly to Barcelona and back.

Both are about the same price and both mostly in school holidays. The husband and father in law are swaying towards RC and I prefer Disney.

What would everyone reccommend. Maybe there is something we are missing with the help decide for us.

Thanks in advance :)

We have done the Mediterranean twice, once without kids and once with our son when he was 7 mo. We have always cruised with RCL.

Now that our kids are 3 and 5 I wouldn't do the Med with them: the ports are quite hectic and many (especially in Italy and Greece) need travel (for example from Civitavecchia to Rome it's over an hour by train, in Piraeus you need to take the underground to Athens etc.).

I think our kids would find it too exhausting, also the ports are pretty museum- and history heavy so not so easily interesting to younger kids.

I'd imagine the ports in Norway to be more easily done with kids, but you'd have to ask someone who's actually been there to verify this :)

They both sound amazing and both would be great for kids (unlike the previous poster, I found the Med to be wonderful for kids since there's so much exploring - we don't do museums). But the time of year is what would decide it for me - I wouldn't want to do the Med in August as it would be too hot to enjoy. May in Norway may be very cold, so it depends on what kind of vacation you're looking for - hot or cold. I think the kids do better in cold than with the heat and crowds of the Med in August. For me, heat and crowds = whiny children.

Best,

Mia

With young kids it is Disney hands down for me. We were on the Magic last year with our 7 year old and had a BLAST! The water slide is a great size for them, great splash area and so much geared to kids, but adults still enjoy it all. I also think not having to fly helps make the vacation a little easier with kids.

We actually went on one Disney cruise thinking we'll just try it to say we did it once and are now about to go on our 3rd cruise with Disney we loved it so much.

Royal is a great second choice. they also have a lot for kids. Esepcially the Oasis or Allure of the Seas. I haven't sailed the Harmony class ships yet though so I am not sure what it is like.

Enjoy whichever you choose!

Choice 2 - RC Harmony, 28th Aug (Will miss 2 days of school) for 7 night round Italy/France/Spain. We will have to fly to Barcelona and back.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

Norway would probably still be a bit chilly in May so I'd pick Choice 2. Also, it's a very nice itinerary and the children are young enough where missing two days of school won't matter. :)

Happily, neither is a bad choice. :D

LuLu

Royal is a great second choice. they also have a lot for kids. Esepcially the Oasis or Allure of the Seas. I haven't sailed the Harmony class ships yet though so I am not sure what it is like.

Harmony of the Seas is an Oasis-class ship.