Solo on HAL

mame42

For some reason, our previous thread was closed, and the last page of comments eliminated. Why? I cannot think of anything on the thread that someone might find objectionable. It certainly did not approach the levels of vitriol found on the smoking thread!

For some reason, our previous thread was closed, and the last page of comments eliminated. Why? I cannot think of anything on the thread that someone might find objectionable. It certainly did not approach the levels of vitriol found on the smoking thread!

Weird.:confused: When I checked CC before I went to bed last night there was nothing objectionable on the thread. Someone was obviously busy overnight.

I just learned that RCCl also gives double points to solos occupying double cabins at full price. I urge all HAL solo cruisers to email Guest Relations and Mariner Society requesting more equitable treatment of solos by instituting a similar change in Mariner Points policy

As a solo cruiser, I was enjoying the thread. You will find that on this board, and on some other ones also, there are a few long-time posters that like to take little snipes at each other. If one says the sky is blue, the other one will argue with that and say the sky is grey. I try not to get involved in these little skirmishes as, on the whole, I find the HAL board is full of people who are more than happy to offer advice and answer the question that is asked.

As for the points, I also cruise with Princess and get double points with them. It didn't take me long to reach their Platinum level. I will also send an email to HAL about their policy.

What would happen if a solo sailed in a Suite and received double points for that? Would they get three times points? Or maybe even four times points? :D

Ten days doubled in a Suite = 20 days x 2 (because of being a solo who paid double) = 40 days? ..... then + days for spending? Days would add up FAST. :)

You do receive extra point for being solo and in a suite on princess. Sometime you have to fight for it which is strange. I'm not going to begrudge anyone for getting double points if I decide to do a suite and they do not.

Edited by cruz chic

You do receive extra point for being solo and in a suite on princess. Sometime you have to fight for it which is strange. I'm not going to begrudge anyone for getting double points if I decide to do a suite and they do not.

Seeing I'm Five Star with hundreds days more than that, I'm not worrying about it but am curious what people think would be the way for the solo suite guest to have their days computed were HAL to agree to doubling the days for solos. :)

If HAL doesn't want to give double points to all solo travellers, why not give them partial points for what they paid for the cruise. I cannot afford to pay for a verandah + as a solo. If I pay 150% for my cruise, why not give me 1.5 mariner points? If you pay double for a verandah, you should get double the points. With today's technology, it would be very easy for HAL to do the calculations. I do not begrudge the extra points to the solo passengers who can afford better accommodations and pay double or more for the privilege. Since I spend so little in my cabin, I would be happy to sleep in a broom closet as long as I get to cruise.:D

BTW, I tried to book a cruise on the Koningsdam in a single cabin on the HAL website, but it would not give me the single option. It didn't show that the single rooms were sold out. Is there something I'm not doing right or will I have to deal with a TA?

If HAL doesn't want to give double points to all solo travellers, why not give them partial points for what they paid for the cruise. I cannot afford to pay for a verandah + as a solo. If I pay 150% for my cruise, why not give me 1.5 mariner points? If you pay double for a verandah, you should get double the points. With today's technology, it would be very easy for HAL to do the calculations. I do not begrudge the extra points to the solo passengers who can afford better accommodations and pay double or more for the privilege. Since I spend so little in my cabin, I would be happy to sleep in a broom closet as long as I get to cruise.:D

BTW, I tried to book a cruise on the Koningsdam in a single cabin on the HAL website, but it would not give me the single option. It didn't show that the single rooms were sold out. Is there something I'm not doing right or will I have to deal with a TA?

It worked on my test booking and (unlike the Prinsendam) the price for an OV solo cabin was better than the price for solo use of a double inside.

Roy

I'm getting an education. Solo traveling is new to me and I clearly have lots to learn. Sigh......

Thank you.

I think it is courageous for someone like you, who has always cruised with a soulmate, to have to try again by yourself. I don't think your DH would want you to stop doing something that both of your enjoyed so much for so long.

I didn't start cruising until I got divorced. For 20 years, my no-so-dear husband refused to go with me as he "knew for sure" he wouldn't enjoy cruising. I was too timid to go by myself. I have now been cruising solo for 17 years, except for a few cruises with my now widowed mother. I have taken to it like a duck to water and to be perfectly honest, I prefer cruising solo. Although I also enjoy cruising with dear mom, she just has way too much energy for me and wants to stay out until the music stops. Perhaps when I retire and am no longer constantly tired, I will also become a party animal.:D

It worked on my test booking and (unlike the Prinsendam) the price for an OV solo cabin was better than the price for solo use of a double inside.

Roy

Thanks, Roy. I will try again. If not successful, I will see about the prices when I'm on the NA in January.

I'm getting an education. Solo traveling is new to me and I clearly have lots to learn. Sigh......

Thank you.

Sail: You have been such a help to us newbies for a long time; I am glad we can do anything to help you.

As someone mentioned on the previous thread, solo cruising can be addictive... eat, learn, play, or sleep as you wish, without regard to anyone else's needs or wants.

Sail: You have been such a help to us newbies for a long time; I am glad we can do anything to help you.

As someone mentioned on the previous thread, solo cruising can be addictive... eat, learn, play, or sleep as you wish, without regard to anyone else's needs or wants.

I have always appreciated the advice. Compared to Sail, I am just a cruising newbie.

"solo cruising can be addictive... eat, learn, play, or sleep as you wish, without regard to anyone else's needs or wants"

Exactly! There is also always company available if you so desire. The other great thing about cruising solo is that if you have a little too much to drink, say or do something stupid, no one will ever know at home or wag his finger at you.:p

Thank you both.

You may not realize it but you and other solos here are my inspiration to try to cruise again. I'm fragile and vulnerable right now and I need to find my 'new strong'. You and other solos are helping me in many ways. Cruising was such a huge part of our lives, I know I will go at least once but am being cautious to try and plan what would be the best possible of success for me. I don't want to sabotage my being able to enjoy that first solo cruise.

Sincere thanks for being so kind.

When you are ready, Sail, you will know it and you will do it. You have made many friends on this board. Why don't you join some of them on your first solo cruise and get your sea legs back with support available, if needed. I have found that many people travelling as couples are very friendly and never treat solos as the 5th wheel. Life can throw some us some real nasty curves, but as long as we are alive, we have to get up and get going while we still can. Hang in there and the strength will come back.

thank you both.

You may not realize it but you and other solos here are my inspiration to try to cruise again. I'm fragile and vulnerable right now and i need to find my 'new strong'. You and other solos are helping me in many ways. Cruising was such a huge part of our lives, i know i will go at least once but am being cautious to try and plan what would be the best possible of success for me. I don't want to sabotage my being able to enjoy that first solo cruise.

b o s t o n

s t r o n g ! ! !

Thank you both.

You may not realize it but you and other solos here are my inspiration to try to cruise again. I'm fragile and vulnerable right now and I need to find my 'new strong'. You and other solos are helping me in many ways. Cruising was such a huge part of our lives, I know I will go at least once but am being cautious to try and plan what would be the best possible of success for me. I don't want to sabotage my being able to enjoy that first solo cruise.

I'll bet you'll be educating us all in the near future on the ins and outs of solo cruising! I hope so anyway.

• 1 month later...

So I did as mame42 suggested and sent the email on January 9. I stated in my message that I didn’t need the type of response that cruz chic apparently had received, as I already understand the Mariner program, already know that ms Prinsendam has a few solo staterooms, and know that the Pinnacle class will have solo staterooms. I also expressed my opinion that those Pinnacle class staterooms appear to be steerage class – down in the bilge and snugged up next to the forward hawser winches and anchor chains. Didn’t include my phone number in the email, as I was just expecting an electronic response.

On the same day I received the standard email auto response message – we’ll get back to you later. Then nothing until yesterday when my phone range about 3 pm. I saw on the caller ID that it was HAL. It was “Johnnie” of the Mariner Society. What a delightful person! We had a rather long, pleasant and non-confrontational conversation about HALs policies concerning solos, smoking, and some other stuff.

Basically, Johnnie told me that HAL is DEFINITELY considering revision of the current Mariner Society points system for solos, as well as revision of the smoking policy. Now, I have no way of knowing if any of those statements are true (they’re just words, after all) but I want to say that I think it was very nice of HAL to take the trouble to actually call me and address my concerns, particularly as I’m only a 3-star.